Honda fit millage disappointment = lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
OK since I live in Greater Vancouver myself, hope I can help a bit here.

As far as I can see, u got a 08 Fit AT w/approx 25000km? Anyway, here are a few questions before comments:

1. How many services did you do so far? At local garage or Honda dealership? What kinda services are they?

2. When & at what mileage did you do these services?

3. What kind of gasoline do you use?

4. What kind of engine oil do you use?

5. What tire pressure do you use? Any mods or no?

6. Which area do you live in and which route do you take to go work & shopping etc? 10km driving means how long?

Looking forward for your answers.
I just converted the info he gave and its cause by short trips, 6.5 miles is short at 50 mph with stop lights. I drive 26 miles and 20 highway and see the mpg go up 1 mpg per mile. Its 4 miles to the highway after work and I get 18-20 mpg because of warm up to the highway.

Those are excellent questions but its the same problem most people have short trips, thats why they say to all your errands at the same time because your motor stays warm.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I just converted the info he gave and its cause by short trips, 6.5 miles is short at 50 mph with stop lights. I drive 26 miles and 20 highway and see the mpg go up 1 mpg per mile. Its 4 miles to the highway after work and I get 18-20 mpg because of warm up to the highway.

Those are excellent questions but its the same problem most people have short trips, thats why they say to all your errands at the same time because your motor stays warm.
Temp-adjusted airflow smoothing and enrichment schemes can be a bitch on short trips in cold climates when the coolant and oil take as long as they do to warm up. And then when you are chugging along at 50mph it keeps cool air flowing over the radiator, which prolongs warm up.

Then letting it sit for an hour or more to cool off and only to take another short trip home certainly doesn't help things.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Temp-adjusted airflow smoothing and enrichment schemes can be a bitch on short trips in cold climates when the coolant and oil take as long as they do to warm up. And then when you are chugging along at 50mph it keeps cool air flowing over the radiator, which prolongs warm up.

Then letting it sit for an hour or more to cool off and only to take another short trip home certainly doesn't help things.
Thats why I like my Scan Gauge, it allows me to see what going on. His mpg will go up in the Summer, and fuel type could help but he lives where its colder than here. Letting the car sit for an hour the motor still has a little heat that would bring up the mpg faster but 8 or more the motor is cold. 20 mile commute actually save money compared to 10 mile trips. Time is the only other consideration but I get home in 30 minutes 27 miles.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 PM
OK since I live in Greater Vancouver myself, hope I can help a bit here.

As far as I can see, u got a 08 Fit AT w/approx 25000km? Anyway, here are a few questions before comments:

1. How many services did you do so far? At local garage or Honda dealership? What kinda services are they?

2. When & at what mileage did you do these services?

3. What kind of gasoline do you use?

4. What kind of engine oil do you use?

5. What tire pressure do you use? Any mods or no?

6. Which area do you live in and which route do you take to go work & shopping etc? 10km driving means how long?

Looking forward for your answers.
1. I did all of the schedule services with honda Vancouver on main (I think I did 3 to be exact). I alway do just the service type A (first one- 60$) since the two later ones are basically the same. I believe that includes oil and filter. At the first service i told them about bad gas milage, their response was to drive it at least 10 000 km and the milage will improve. At the second oil change (more than 10000 km) I complained again and they told me to track the consumption by collecting at least 4 receipt and write the km on it.
I did all of that and I came to the third oil change (service), give them the receipt, they checked the car and they said everything is normal.

2. The last service (oil change or whatever you want to call it) was done a month and half ago!

3. I usually use the lowest grade but i tried with the highest grade for 2 tanks and I did not see any improvements.

4.Regarding the oil, I don't have any idea what type did vancouver honda put in? I don't add any oil on my own. As you can see I'm not really a car guy, don't know much about it.

5. Tire pressure is the one that states on the side of the drivers door. I check tire pressure occasionally but i don't know what is the recommendation on the sticker right now (i think it say 23 or 32?) Usually when I'm checking I just look at the sticker.
And yes I don't have any mods, the car is in the same condition as when I bought it.

6. I live around boundary and kingsway. My driving route is from my home to BC place, metrotown, costco at willingdon and that's about it.
I did drive to Penticton once and car sorprised me with 6.5 l / 100 km. But I was on the highway all of the time and I really tried to drive carefully just to see.
In time, my daily driving is aprox. 25min to work & 25 back!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm not saying that short trips are not the cause of bad millage. But I drove other cars before and I still do the same way. Cars that had more power, they were bigger and after all of that better or equal to my fit!
I really bought the fit for only one reason, good milage and this reason did not come true for me!
It is just disappointing thats all!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ffaceoff
1. I did all of the schedule services with honda Vancouver on main (I think I did 3 to be exact). I alway do just the service type A (first one- 60$) since the two later ones are basically the same. I believe that includes oil and filter. At the first service i told them about bad gas milage, their response was to drive it at least 10 000 km and the milage will improve. At the second oil change (more than 10000 km) I complained again and they told me to track the consumption by collecting at least 4 receipt and write the km on it.
I did all of that and I came to the third oil change (service), give them the receipt, they checked the car and they said everything is normal.

2. The last service (oil change or whatever you want to call it) was done a month and half ago!

3. I usually use the lowest grade but i tried with the highest grade for 2 tanks and I did not see any improvements.

4.Regarding the oil, I don't have any idea what type did vancouver honda put in? I don't add any oil on my own. As you can see I'm not really a car guy, don't know much about it.

5. Tire pressure is the one that states on the side of the drivers door. I check tire pressure occasionally but i don't know what is the recommendation on the sticker right now (i think it say 23 or 32?) Usually when I'm checking I just look at the sticker.
And yes I don't have any mods, the car is in the same condition as when I bought it.

6. I live around boundary and kingsway. My driving route is from my home to BC place, metrotown, costco at willingdon and that's about it.
I did drive to Penticton once and car sorprised me with 6.5 l / 100 km. But I was on the highway all of the time and I really tried to drive carefully just to see.
I just want to say I feel bad for you and understand your frustration, It seems that your doing everything right. Take a longer ride and see what happens and invest in a Scan gauge. You can use it on any car so its not just for your Fit. You can see in real time what the cars doing. Maybe a sensor is going out and causing the bad mpg but I am leaning on short trip.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not saying that short trips are not the cause of bad millage. But I drove other cars before and I still do the same way. Cars that had more power, they were bigger and after all of that better or equal to my fit!
I really bought the fit for only one reason, good milage and this reason did not come true for me!
It is just disappointing thats all!
That why you use higher octane to make more power and using less gas. I had a spell of bad gas mileage a few weeks ago getting only 28 mpg but its up to 35 plus now haven't got gas yet. Change brands and do a ecu reset but remember need the radio code to unlock the radio. The Fit is slightly under powered but still a great car and capable of getting 40 plus mpg. Just a matter of figuring it out.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-15-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
That why you use higher octane to make more power and using less gas. I had a spell of bad gas mileage a few weeks ago getting only 28 mpg but its up to 35 plus now haven't got gas yet. Change brands and do a ecu reset but remember need the radio code to unlock the radio. The Fit is slightly under powered but still a great car and capable of getting 40 plus mpg. Just a matter of figuring it out.
Sorry but i don't really know what a ecu reset is?
Can i do it myself or i need to take it to the dealer?
Anything i have to worry about?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
OP,
Does your 11 L/100Km number come from the dash display or manually calculated based on fuel purchased / KM driven?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Most of the people that i talk to and that drive the automatic version of the sport have the same problem as me.
I just believe the automatic transmission on the fit is not the best way to go if you are concern with gas millage.
Too bad i did not know that earlier.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by ohw
OP,
Does your 11 L/100Km number come from the dash display or manually calculated based on fuel purchased / KM driven?
manually.
I drive around 300 km for each tank, and the tank is from 32 - 35 liters every time.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
manually.
I drive around 300 km for each tank, and the tank is from 32 - 35 liters every time.
Put the pump on slow and when it clicks thats it, see if that helps. Trying to get more fuel in some times the fuel goes back into the pump. New evaporative system that recoups the vapors and sometime fuel back to their tank.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry but i don't really know what a ecu reset is?
Can i do it myself or i need to take it to the dealer?
Anything i have to worry about?
Do it your self https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...procedure.html First you have to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, the the idle learn procedure.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
OP, I understand your frustration. Unfortunately I've found it's just a fact of life that in order to get good mileage in the AT Fit you have to drive it in a spirited fashion. Try driving faster, see if your mileage improves. If you don't feel a sustained momentum when upshifting, then the car is upshifting too soon. It will do this on its own based upon your pedal input if you go too soft on the pedal. AT's with torque converters are tricky business about this kind of thing. And it makes perfect sense that your cars with more power would get superior mileage than the Fit if they're both driven lightly because the higher powered cars aren't bogged down. Also, don't buy cheap gas. Try something with fuel injector cleaner in it.

And the reason people would want an underpowered car like this is mainly because they cost half as much as the other cars you're comparing the Fit to.

Last edited by secondspassed; 01-15-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
OP, here are my 2 cents:
1. Assuming your “normal” driving style is what I think normal is, consistent 11 L/100Km does seem a little high. I have a 2010 M/T and live in Calgary. My normal driving style may be towards aggressive side of the scale and get about 7.2 L/100Km driving in the city. When my wife takes the car for a few days, the mixed mileage goes to around 6.8. I also notice the mileage gets better if we take a route with fewer traffic lights, which is to be expected.
2. From the discussions in this thread, the other things I can think of which may affect your mileage is your air filter and your interior airflow setting. Make sure your air filter is not dirty or plugged. And make sure your interior air flow setting is not on defrost (2 positions), those will turn on your A/C compressor without you knowing, and burn more fuel.
3. It would be very difficult to file a law suit against Honda for your gas mileage, there are too many factors. And the advertised mileage is not a guarantee. If you decide to go ahead with a law suit, make sure you have deep pockets and lots of time and patience. Be prepared that it may cost you more than a few new Fits or Prius, many tanks of gas, and grey hair.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
One more question:

Which way do you take from Boundary & Kingsway to BC Place? Live close to Telus building or further down to Moscrop?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
One more question:

Which way do you take from Boundary & Kingsway to BC Place? Live close to Telus building or further down to Moscrop?
Not trying to find out where u live to steal your car/stalk on you btw.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 AM
lol I wish someone stills it!

I live around Telus building, boundary and kingsway.
I go down kingsway, 2nd ave, cambie bridge to go to work.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
As you can see I'm not really a car guy, don't know much about it.
gentlemen, i think we've found our answer.

OP- to be honest i can tell you came into this thread swinging fists and hoping to get an army of ppl to back you... you picked the wrong site, we are loyalists through and through. i have owned over 17 DIFFERENT honda's in my lifetime. honda makes the best cars on the planet, hands down. If you wanted a solution, then you would have been trying and reporting back to us some results. since you haven't, i can only assume you want a certain answer, namely this- "yes, sue Honda motor corporation..."
If that's the answer you want, i suggest you take your post to "mustangsRcool.net" and then come back here when you've inevitably lost your class action against honda corp.

Last edited by wontfit; 01-18-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: i like this guy....^^^^^^^
Old 01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
also, check your tire pressure, check your air filter (mine was filthy at 36K), and make sure your car isn't getting syphoned!!!!!!!!! fit's don't have a locking gas cap, and ppl are poor thieves these days.

i'm still going with the post above this one though.....

Quick Reply: Honda fit millage disappointment = lawsuit