Honda fit millage disappointment = lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by wontfit
gentlemen, i think we've found our answer.

OP- to be honest i can tell you came into this thread swinging fists and hoping to get an army of ppl to back you... you picked the wrong site, we are loyalists through and through. i have owned over 17 DIFFERENT honda's in my lifetime. honda makes the best cars on the planet, hands down. If you wanted a solution, then you would have been trying and reporting back to us some results. since you haven't, i can only assume you want a certain answer, namely this- "yes, sue Honda motor corporation..."
If that's the answer you want, i suggest you take your post to "mustangsRcool.net" and then come back here when you've inevitably lost your class action against honda corp.
Yes, i come o the forum to see How many other people have similar problems and if there are quite a big number of them start a law suit. I don't know if it ever happened to you, but I feel cheated. I understan some people get great milage but as for now it looks like all o those one that do have manual transmission or they drive highway most of the time. Like I said I did get good milage on my trip to penticton. Regarding the AT I already got 5 people just from Vancouver that feel the same as me. They bought the car to save on gas, trading in their BMW or other and at the end their small fit is getting worst milage than the previous car. And all of those people are actually driving AT. So the bottom line is I don't think Honda are bad cars, they are reliable and so but I'm not satisfied since the milage I'm getting is 50% lower than advertised! If you bought a car that says 10l100km and than it uses 15 you wouldn't be happy neither!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by ffaceoff
Yes, i come o the forum to see How many other people have similar problems and if there are quite a big number of them start a law suit. I don't know if it ever happened to you, but I feel cheated. I understan some people get great milage but as for now it looks like all o those one that do have manual transmission or they drive highway most of the time. Like I said I did get good milage on my trip to penticton. Regarding the AT I already got 5 people just from Vancouver that feel the same as me. They bought the car to save on gas, trading in their BMW or other and at the end their small fit is getting worst milage than the previous car. And all of those people are actually driving AT. So the bottom line is I don't think Honda are bad cars, they are reliable and so but I'm not satisfied since the milage I'm getting is 50% lower than advertised! If you bought a car that says 10l100km and than it uses 15 you wouldn't be happy neither!
If you are not satisfied with the car... sell it.

I am going to tell you what they would have an OE Calibrator take the stand to tell you, which would ultimately end in you paying Honda's legal fees. Which would be a pretty penny you can bet on that.

It is your environment, commute and your driving style which ultimately decides your fuel economy.

There is nothing Honda can do about the above. The fact that you don't see a lot of highway miles is not their fault. When you are sitting in traffic or at a light, you are getting ZERO miles per gallon. So far all you know you are getting decent mileage when moving, but because of the intermittent stops and starts you average is pulled down.

The fact that traditional fluid converter style automatic transmissions get worse mileage overall then their manual trans counterparts is well known.

If this is news to you, then you might need to come to grips with the fact that you don't know what you are talking about and you are not as economical a driver as you allege here.

You may feel cheated, and that I can appreciate. However none of what you are reporting is scandalous or shocking. Unfortunate though it may be, you may have to consider a slightly larger displacement engine with longer gear ratios, in some cases this will return better mileage.

Or you could save us the sob story and just go buy a scan gauge. Then track and record the data and post it here.
There are several people on this board who can interpret the results for you.

Then you will know if it is your fault, a product of the environment, or a fault with the vehicle.

But nothing you find short of some anomaly with your own vehicle would be worth taking it to court over. And in the event it is in fact something wrong with your particular car, and provable beyond a reasonable doubt Honda WILL work with you.

As long as you haven't been a dick to them already that is... So a little money on a scangauge now, which you can use on any other OBD2 vehicle, could save you untold thousands in legal expenses.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-18-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Diamondstarmonsters for all of your informative advices.

I'm kinda in a rush but before I forget I wanna share this idea. Let's avoid all the traffic & lights on Kingsway. I suggest you to take hwy1 west bound & take the McGill exit. Go along McGill, Nanaimo, and head down Dundas & Powell street & head over to BC Place/Rogers Arena(old GM place) instead. Traffic is much smoother with wayyyy less lights & major intersection that way. I guess u take Great Northern way to go across 2nd Ave? That's the only smooth place that I can think of & u know there's a speed trap beside the BCIT building quite often right?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
You guys might be right when it comes to my driving habits, maybe I'm really not doing things right which is kind of comforting to me since that would mean I can actually make things better.
Diamonstarmoster can you please just let me know where I can buy thi gauge you are talking about? Do I need to buy a specific one or they are all the same? What info I need to be able to chose the right one? And o course, how mic does thi cost usually?

Just to answer your question, or claim.
I did not know AT are worst in gas than manual.
Like I said I'm really uneducated when it comes to cars.
However my brother in law and I swop the cars for a mont few months back because he didn't believe me my car is so bad on gas and he got same result as me. And he knows quite a bit about cars.
That's one of the reason I tough my car sucks. However if I can buy this gauge or whatever to check all of this I would be more than willing ( if the price is not to steep).

I kind of hate the idea of selling th car since I paid almost 25 000 after all of the payment and it would be hard getting even 14 for it. And I know that money wise spending 2-3 l of gas less on 100 km with the low punt od driving I so (8000 km a year) would be equivalent to savings of only $250/year. Definetly not a big deal if Yo look just at that but the principal is that I was sold something that for now I didn't buy.
Reagrding the law suit, I don't min trying if I get 50 people to join. The same case happened in the USA where the guy bought Honda hybri for the reason it was supposed to be good on gas and it turned absolutelly bad millage. He would won the case but Honda settle before the end which makes me think I could do th same.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
1. I did all of the schedule services with honda Vancouver on main (I think I did 3 to be exact). I alway do just the service type A (first one- 60$) since the two later ones are basically the same. I believe that includes oil and filter. At the first service i told them about bad gas milage, their response was to drive it at least 10 000 km and the milage will improve. At the second oil change (more than 10000 km) I complained again and they told me to track the consumption by collecting at least 4 receipt and write the km on it.
I did all of that and I came to the third oil change (service), give them the receipt, they checked the car and they said everything is normal.

2. The last service (oil change or whatever you want to call it) was done a month and half ago!
OK. As far as I get from here, you got 3 services done ever since you got your car and your 08' model have 25,000km. Let's say you got your car in mid 08, it's been 2.5years since. So let's say you drive your car approx 10,000km a year.

That's pretty low mileage for a 08' model. I thought my ex-gf's 08 civic coupe's mileage is low haha(her car had 32,000km during Nov/2010). Another thing is your car is lack of service. I mean, 3 services since you got the car? Ok let's say 4, that's not enough still IMO. I always think if u drive more & service your car regularly, the longer it last. Same as human being getting exercised & good food. The less u drive & the less u service it, the more fuel consumption & more chance of battery, gaskets, seals, belts etc needs to be replace sooner.

I work in the automotive industry myself. I've seen many people's car's from the 90's with under 100,000km on the odometer having stuck thermostat, leaky valve cover gasket, crank seals, seize water pump etc. I've met TONS of people who think they don't have to service their car if they don't drive much. End up they need to spend tons of $ to repair their vehicle.

Not your fault I guess, a lot of newer cars comes with some sorta service reminder thing. End up a lot of owners service their cars way later than they should. I've seen an 07/08 Audi A3 2.0T's gasoline engine sounds very much like it's got a diesel motor. But still, I recommend you to start servicing it every 4months.

3. I usually use the lowest grade but i tried with the highest grade for 2 tanks and I did not see any improvements.
I never use 87. Of course it will fire up the engine without problem, but running 91 gives me much better throttle response & engine runs quieter. So I've been using 91/92 for a pretty long time now.

4.Regarding the oil, I don't have any idea what type did vancouver honda put in? I don't add any oil on my own. As you can see I'm not really a car guy, don't know much about it.
Most likely 5w20. I use 0w30 synthetic in my car and engine does seem to warm up faster during winter especially with over half of my radiator blocked off with card board. Water temperature on my ScanGauge shows it gets up to around 85-90c & most of the time after I start blocking my radiator, when it's 2-5c outside. I block my radiator every winter now coz the radiator is just way too big & getting way too much air flow. Of course it's nice when I go to track events but doesn't help to keep my engine warm during winter.

5. Tire pressure is the one that states on the side of the drivers door. I check tire pressure occasionally but i don't know what is the recommendation on the sticker right now (i think it say 23 or 32?) Usually when I'm checking I just look at the sticker.
And yes I don't have any mods, the car is in the same condition as when I bought it.
Get a tire pressure gauge from Crappy Tire and keep monitoring your tire pressure in the morning before u start to drive from time to time. Keep the cold tire pressure at around 33-34psi all around. And get wheel alignment check once in awhile make sure your alignment setting didn't get bang off.

6. I live around boundary and kingsway. My driving route is from my home to BC place, metrotown, costco at willingdon and that's about it.
!
Like I said in the last post, way too many lights & traffic along Kingsway u really should stay away from there. Try the other way I suggest if you get a chance. It might be a little longer distance, but traffic flow is MUCH better. Don't be afraid to drive!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 AM
5 Year Member
manually.
I drive around 300 km for each tank, and the tank is from 32 - 35 liters every time.
"Around" and "32-35" is not calculating mileage it is guessing. There is a hell of a difference between 32 and 35 L in 300kms.

Record your mileage at the next fillup then drive 3-4 fillups keeping track of amount you put in. Then do your calculations. I suspect they will improve your mpg.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
another good question- What is your elevation? when i lived on the coast at sea level i got a consistent 33MPG with mixed mountain driving.
now i live at 3400 ft. in the mountains and have seen mileage drop. elevation plays a huge role in the atmospheric pressure and thus the amount of available oxygen in the air. just a thought.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
"Around" and "32-35" is not calculating mileage it is guessing. There is a hell of a difference between 32 and 35 L in 300kms.

Record your mileage at the next fillup then drive 3-4 fillups keeping track of amount you put in. Then do your calculations. I suspect they will improve your mpg.
OMG I know how to calculate the millage the 32-35 reference was the diffference from fill up to fill up, so my best average would be 10.7 and worst 11.7. So this is what I usually get, that's the range! Ok

Old 01-24-2011, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Did u try to take the route I suggested in the past week or so?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 PM
ok guys just my 5 cents, ive had my fit brand new since 08 and got about 450 km/tank. after year one i started to drive hard and near redline and would still get 300-350km/tank. not bad. now days before my turbo i went back to shifting at the suggested rpms from some of the fellow fit owners and im currently on 375km/only half way! dont get too upset when they mention driving habits b/c it has alot to do with milage and the stop and goes and leaving your car running all factor in. just my little thought.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Well first off, its an automatic, mileage will be worst than a manual simply because you have a slushbox hooked-up to the engine instead of gears and a tad of gear oil. Im getting 11L/100km when im hard on it, having fun on twisty road. If you're serious about your lawsuits.... be ready, they'll come at you with everything they have dude.

2nd: How fast do you accelerate? How hard do you brake? Are you always driving uphill/downhill during your commute?

Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Newtownguy
Well first off, its an automatic, mileage will be worst than a manual simply because you have a slushbox hooked-up to the engine instead of gears and a tad of gear oil. Im getting 11L/100km when im hard on it, having fun on twisty road. If you're serious about your lawsuits.... be ready, they'll come at you with everything they have dude.

2nd: How fast do you accelerate? How hard do you brake? Are you always driving uphill/downhill during your commute?
Actually the auto gets better mileage.

I drive my auto in 3rd around town a lot. On ramps up to 100-110 km in third often. On Hwy 401 to TO usually run 110 kph.

Over almost 5 years I have averaged 7.8 l/100km.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 PM
My father ( 68 years) sell is 2009 fit because honda never find the problem on is car!
10@12L-100 km on highway at 100kmH ...about 14L+ -100km average!

I have try the car some time and make the same ! My 2013 6-7L on highway and 7.5 average!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
The auto may be rated for higher mileage on the EPA test, but a manual lets you get better mileage if you want it. You don't even have to want it all that much, just being a little conscious of mileage can pay off big time with a manual.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
I owned

- 1992 1.8L VW Fox 4MT (27mpg or 8.5 Liters/100km avg)
- 1996 1.6L Suzuki Esteem 5MT (34mpg or 6.7 Liters/100km avg)
- 2000 1.8L Corolla AT (31mpg or 7.5 Liters/100km avg)
- 2012 1.8L Honda Civic 5MT (31mpg or 7.5 Liters/100km avg)
- 2015 1.5L Honda Fit 6MT (37mpg or 6.3 Liters/100km avg)

and have never, ever gotten 11 Liters/100kms or 21mpg. That's just crazy.

My sister owned the 2008 Mitsu Eclipse with the 2.4L motor, and averaged 22mpg with the 5MT.

And I deliver newspapers, which is stop and go with plenty of idling, and commute to work on the hwy about 35miles/day.

When the computer went bad on the Esteem, fuel economy went down to 19mpg or 12 Liters/100kms. Junked the car.

When the cat went bad on the Corolla, fuel economy went down to 24mpg or 9.5 Liters/100kms. Sold the car.

It could be that the car's computer is caput, or maybe some sensor is failing severely. Maybe the tranny fluid went bad. Could be anything. The time you would spend fighting with all these dealers is the time you would spend selling the car and getting something else.