Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Honda Fit Tearing Up The Track @ "el Tuque" In Ponce, Pr

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Honda Fit Tearing Up The Track @ "el Tuque" In Ponce, Pr

I just went for my first ever Auto X event as a driver instead of a spectator with my SSM Base Fit.

Mods on it are as follows:

Skunk 2 Springs
Cusco Front and Rear tower bars
Konig Feathers in 15x6.5 38+ (11lbs)
Toyo Proxes 4 in 195-50-15
Stock muffler deleted
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Motul 600 Brake Fluid
Rear interior stripped out (seats, seat belts, trunk and c-pillar paneling, spare tire)
AMSOil 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
AMSOil 5W-30 Syncromesh Synthetic Manual Transmision Oil

This was on the 3rd Heat of the Day, I was already starting to loosen up and push her real good. All I can say is that I'm hooked on the Auto Cross bug. The Fit is an awesome car to start auto crossing in, very predictable and nimble and best of all great brakes!

The dude on the passenger seat is my cousin, a new poster in here and a future owner of a Fit himself. The video was shot with his camera mounted on a bracket that attaches to the window with a large sucker; it was attached on the rear window.

YouTube - Honda Fit Track Action @ El Tuque in Ponce Puerto Rico

Last edited by nttdemented; 08-05-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Sweet, video link said "service not available"

Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah You Tube was working fine a few minutes ago, seems like they're having problems but my link worked. Give it a few moments and try again.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
working now. Man, that looked like a lot of fun.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Get a wide angle lens for your video camera. U will be able to see a lot more stuff up front. Here's my video that I took with my Canon DV(optura60) and a wide angle lens. Camerae was mounted on the front passenger seat. Guess u will see the difference:

may 21, 2007

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Not to be picky, but that's not autocrossing as the title suggests.

Sorry, couldn't let it go.

Mike

Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
cool man...
thought for a while you were gonna pull off a drifting or some sort of with those agressive turns hehe
the Fit sounds nice.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Thats the kinda event I want to take my Fit on. Not that coned off parking lot crap.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by squareback
Not to be picky, but that's not autocrossing as the title suggests.

Sorry, couldn't let it go.

Mike
So what is it then?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I think its called Road Racing.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
nice!! looks pretty exciting, wish they had one of those tracks available for the public were im at.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Whatever, in all reality I was classified as SOLO 1 TRACK DAY. Who cares what it was called, IT WAS FUN AS HELL!!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
awesome video!

How do you have your camera mounted? have any pics of the setup?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have pics of the setup, the camera isn't even mine, its my cousin's. He bought a bracket that has a hard flexible metal tube (like those found on some bed lamps, that you can snake around) and a sucker that you compress onto the glass with a small lever. The camera gets attached to this through the tripod mounting screw on the bottom. It looked flimsy at first (hence my cousin looking back in the first few corners worried about his camera) but it held one quite nicely as you can see in the video.

The camera is one of those thin Sony cybershots.

Next time I'm mounting it higher with less zoom so you can see the track better.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nttdemented
Whatever, in all reality I was classified as SOLO 1 TRACK DAY. Who cares what it was called, IT WAS FUN AS HELL!!
AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!

(In the SCCA, there used to be Solo I and Solo II. Solo I was basically road racing or hillclimbing events with only one car running at a time, the winner determined by best time in each class. Solo II is autocrossing on a closed lot with traffic pylons. There is no longer a Solo I program in the SCCA; it has been replaced by track days or high performance driving events on road courses. FYI.)

Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
Thats the kinda event I want to take my Fit on. Not that coned off parking lot crap.
agreed.. looks like a lot of fun.. the track near where I live has a road course as well, not sure how it works though but I should check it out! Once my fit gets a little more modded..

Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
The point is to take it with only a few mods, the most important are brake pads, fluid and lines. After that you can take the car with whatever level of modification you desire and enjoy it!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by aznguyen316
agreed.. looks like a lot of fun.. the track near where I live has a road course as well, not sure how it works though but I should check it out! Once my fit gets a little more modded..
Are you talking about Heartland Park in Topeka? That's where the SCCA national championships are held in October. Great facility there. The owner just renovated the whole complex to better host the championships. Oh, and the SCCA autocross national championships are held there as well; they use the paved grid and paddock areas for the courses.

Autocross nationals in September and road racing nationals in October-- I'd say you're in a great location.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by squareback
Are you talking about Heartland Park in Topeka? That's where the SCCA national championships are held in October. Great facility there. The owner just renovated the whole complex to better host the championships. Oh, and the SCCA autocross national championships are held there as well; they use the paved grid and paddock areas for the courses.

Autocross nationals in September and road racing nationals in October-- I'd say you're in a great location.
wow I had no idea.. I've been to heartland to run the quarter mile in my old integra.. $10 to run all night.. good stuff. That's awesome about the nat'l champs held there, haven't been back in about two years. Are we allowed to race on the course or is that off limits?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you were riding on some pigs=goodtimes!

Quick Reply: Honda Fit Tearing Up The Track @ "el Tuque" In Ponce, Pr