Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

The stock Fit on the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
drag racing your Fit

[quote=Cat;240315]I love my MR Fit - but I have a question. The engine is stock - no air intake or anything else. It is my daily driver - and I am super protective
of it. Anyway, another group of WV car people that I belong to are having a meet and they are going to have use of a quarter mile track. There is an event plan around the meet which has tuned out police cars coming in from out of state to race against other drivers. It is all for fun and to encourage kids to race on the track and not on the street. Would it hurt the Fit to do this? I know that I have once or twice started at the stop light and hit it hard until I got up to the speed limit but I just would not want to hurt the car. It would not be worth it to me. Most likely will be the only Fit there and I have to say my plan was to go and just enjoy the meet and watch the races. The guys are after me to race the Fit and they are having a photographer there to take pictures. I know the Fit is not going to beat anything out there and it is just for fun but I just worry about putting it to the test. My answer is no just go watch but I would like your opinions as well.

What do you all think?

You shouldn't do any real harm to your auto Sport. From an old racer here are some PROVEN recommendations:
1. Do load up with high test gas. Its likely to have more energy content on combustion and ertainly will have best protection against engine knock.
2. Use the smallest diameter tires with widest tread that are on your car. Measure them around the circumference with a tape measure. Smallest on the right front, next smallest on the left front. (lower gear ratio)
3. Since you're doing it for fun don't rev to 4000 and drop into sport. Do plan on shifting with auto sport starting at 1 and shifting at 6000 rpm in each gear. The last 800 rpm doesn't have enough torque to stay there much like a Vette.
4. You may have to experiment with your tire pressures to get best traction. Expect highwer pressure left than right because of weight distribution and engine torque thrust.
Do clean your air filter or remove it just for your 'race'.
Make sure your radiator is in good shape and always run on a warm engine.
Hey, thats about it for 'fun' dragging.

Have fun.