Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Fit can handle, but slow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Fit can handle, but slow

You Tube has a video of a Fit leading a lap at VIR's grand course at "Fit leading a lap ..." showing the Fit can handle even if not so fast.
The Fit lead because the yellow flags are out on all corners so passing not allowed.
That Fit wasn't so slow after all with a lap average of 66 mph, not bad at all for the grand course. And afterward the cars that passed certainly should have with over 100 hp advatage.
Be prepared, the video is 4 minutes long.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Pretty much the story of my life

I posted FTD at the first day of race school; it was a short and tight course with a chicago box that I could fly through

I had about 1/2 or 1/3 or even 1/4 of the power of other cars that were there.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
No video embedding? Tsk tsk, fitfreak.net! Here's a link to the vid:

YouTube - Honda Fit, leading a lap at VIR GC

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
The little tiny OHC Crosleys of the early 50s were slow too, but won their class in SCCA races all the time. They were said to look like they were out for a Sunday drive when on the track..... The displacement was well below 1000 CCs..... I recently read of one that is still winning its class in vintage races.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
The little tiny OHC Crosleys of the early 50s were slow too, but won their class in SCCA races all the time. They were said to look like they were out for a Sunday drive when on the track..... The displacement was well below 1000 CCs..... I recently read of one that is still winning its class in vintage races.

I actually raced one of the Crosley. Slow is too fast a word for them but because they were pretty close to the ground they were fun to drive.
Oh, and the Crosley was the only car in its class which pretty well guaranteed their winning. And the Fit will outcorner a Crosley even if the Fit is fitted with 145 section tires. There's a guy here who has several of them.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
No video embedding? Tsk tsk, fitfreak.net! Here's a link to the vid:

YouTube - Honda Fit, leading a lap at VIR GC

Thanks. Whats video embedding?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
I only saw one Crosley on he street back in 1963. It was a station wagon, driven by a 13 year old paper boy that used it on his route on Sunday mornings..... With thirteen year old's in it , it had to wind all the way out before the next gear to continue accelerating..... It always sounded like it was going fast..... I am wondering if you may be the oldest guy on here.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I only saw one Crosley on he street back in 1963. It was a station wagon, driven by a 13 year old paper boy that used it on his route on Sunday mornings..... With thirteen year old's in it , it had to wind all the way out before the next gear to continue accelerating..... It always sounded like it was going fast..... I am wondering if you may be the oldest guy on here.
Since I'm over 70 and just a short step from cremation I may be. but thats one of the nicest things about being a car guy and racer, you never outgrow it. see how many retirees can play basketball with the young guys while us ol farts routinely outrun them young guns on track just like Mark.

remember, old age and experience outguns youth and enthusiasm.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, and we have more realistic expectations of a small displacement station wagon than those that are younger, and continuessley call the Fit slow..... You are a class act.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Thanks. Whats video embedding?
It's a feature of this forum software that allows YouTube (and other? not sure) videos to appear right in the body of the post. It works just like embedding pictures or links; you click the appropriate icon, paste an ugly looking string into the box, and presto. The STi forum I'm on has it enabled.
Originally Posted by mahout
Since I'm over 70 and just a short step from cremation I may be.
I think that's one of the cool things about this little car. It attracts people across all kinds of boundaries; age, gender, nationality. Oh -- and you have me beat by about 15 years.

Speaking of Crosleys, apparently the car's engine greatly outlived the car itself. According to Wikipedia:
The CIBA (Crosley Cast Iron Block Assembly) was a more traditional and more reliable engine utilizing a cast-iron block. When Crosley Motors, Inc. was sold, the engine was renamed "AeroJet" and production continued. Production of the AeroJet ended in 1955 and the engine rights were sold to Fageol and later to a series of different companies ending in 1972 with the Fisher Pierce Bearcat 55. Maritime modifications mostly included increasing displacement and converting the engine to run with a vertical axis.
In Europe the Crosley CIBA would be used to great advantage in 750cc sports car class, eventually maturing to a double overhead camshaft (DOHC) design used in the Bandi 750 [2] as well as Nardi and Siata customs.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I am glad that you seasoned automobile enthusiast are posting here.... I feel that to many people posting don't understand the workings of machines, take other peoples post out of context or don't read any of the preceding post and then compare apples to oranges, and in a very immature manner complete with insulting attacks and name calling..... Moderators on other web sites delete post and place rule breakers on probation for disruption and derailment of threads..... I am here to learn and share and sure get tired of being attacked by people. I'll bet that I have grand kids as old as some of them.