Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

brake setup for track and DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
brake setup for track and DD

recently I have upgrade my front braking system to some better rotor and pads. and I went to the Track last month.

rotor : Rotora sloted.
pad : Endless SSS
brakeline : T1R

I have them around 2 weeks b4 I went to the track day. and I have been to the mountain too.

the result is they are really good for DD and mountain. but not for the track. works really good everyday. but after the track. the pad seem over heated. but i didn't even really hard braking on the track. and the our GD is pretty light. so I think the pads is not really trackable even Endless said the SSS is OK for track. and the Rotor looks like crystallize too. it may cause by the pad, thats what some people said. but I really dont know about.

anyone has something like this before?
anyone had their fit on the track? what brake using?
I'm looking for another setup now since the pad is cooked.
I want the pad is good for both DD and track.....

Old 07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
upgrade the pads to some hawk pads? leave the rears as drums

Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
I was looking at hp ceramic pads for the low dust but i dunno.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
What fluid are you using? Are you experience brake fading? Ever consider a brake duct? As for pads, I am currently running Axxis Ultimate

~Robert

Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
im using a motul brake fluid..... seems to work really well. i have the t1r lines sitting in my closet and i have not figured out pads and rotors to use yet but the oem are doing their job for my dd duties.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
i haven't done my brakes yet. i need to do them. i will be doing a brake fluid upgrade (motul), stainless brakelines (techna lines), and brake pads (hawk). oem rotors should be good enough and there is no need to change them. brake pads will make the most difference

Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
so far my setup is working for me.

T1R stainless lines
Project MU pads ( B-Force)
Brembo blankes( which come with 2 slotted holes)
Super blue racing brake fluid.

pedal is firm and pads really bite. As for daily driving i dont really drive the fit that much but i can say for the track it really works.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I upgraded the pads on mine to the X3E Street and brake lines to the T1R stainless, however I stuck with the stock rotors. They seem to do well and work better than stock pads; although I havn't done any high speed lapping days with it, only autocross.

http://x3emotorsports.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_27_77&pr oducts_id=215

They also make a race pad for the Fit as well, but I don't think it would be good for daily driving.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-16-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
how much brake fluid is needed?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using super blue fluid. i think the fluid is still really good. but only the pads....

Old 07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking for something that can DD and track.....

Old 07-16-2009, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
hawk?? there not even expensive

Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned
pads that r crap for the track that i have used -

oem
ebc green stuff
hawk hps

best pad for dd and track that i have tried -

ebc red stuff - virtually no fade under HARD repeated braking
- excellent dd, low dust pad

i have tried the above pads with -

rotors - stock
- ebc slotted and dimpled
- ate elliptical slotted
- wilwood 12.2" slotted and dimpled and cryo-treated

lines - stock
- t1r
- wilwood

fluid - oem
- prestone dot 4
- motul rbf 600

calipers - stock
- wilwood 4 piston

for the rear i'm using t1r kit with ebc slotted and dimpled rotors, t1r lines, ebc red stuff pads

i like braking

Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have a bunch of Auto X and only one weekend Track Day @ NJMP with my set-up.

Power Slot Cryo Treated Rotors... are GREAT ROTOR... I have never had an issue with them.

As for the Pads I used to use Hawk HPS great DD pad nice bite. But they faded on Hot Day (+90F) Auto X.
But for track days I went up a notch and used the Hawk HP+... THAT PAD BITES HARD!!!.. there is some let go in terms of intial braking from the pad once it heats up (by heat up i mean repeated stops from 95mph down to 50mph)... but after that is pretty stayed the same in terms of braking for the whole weekend. I highly recommend the HP+ for track.. but the down side, they are really noisy and dusty for everyday and need some heat in them to really bite.

I rock them everyday, I just deal with the noise in favor of performance.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Just got back from a track day using cheap vented rotors and hawk pads. First time at the track with the Fit. The brakes worked fine for the day with no fade. Granted I don't have any power mods, so the brakes didn't have to scrub off too much speed. The Fit was fun around the corners but was just too slow during the straights. Won't take it to the track anymore unless I get some more power for it (engine swap or FI).

Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
I couldn't agree with you more, but Fits are still wicked Fun to drive hard at the track... Glad you went!! I find it hard to find more Fit that do it... Most are street cars with all these parts and they never really use them.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lilcat
recently I have upgrade my front braking system to some better rotor and pads. and I went to the Track last month.

rotor : Rotora sloted.
pad : Endless SSS
brakeline : T1R

I have them around 2 weeks b4 I went to the track day. and I have been to the mountain too.

the result is they are really good for DD and mountain. but not for the track. works really good everyday. but after the track. the pad seem over heated. but i didn't even really hard braking on the track. and the our GD is pretty light. so I think the pads is not really trackable even Endless said the SSS is OK for track. and the Rotor looks like crystallize too. it may cause by the pad, thats what some people said. but I really dont know about.

anyone has something like this before?
anyone had their fit on the track? what brake using?
I'm looking for another setup now since the pad is cooked.
I want the pad is good for both DD and track.....
What kinda tires do u have on your Fit btw?

I've been using a few different sets of brake pads on my Fit for daily driving, autocross & lapping events purpose so far. All with stock brake lines, Motul DOT5.1 fluid & power slot rotors. Plus I've adjusted the rear drums a little tighter to get better braking too.

Hawk HPS(w/Advan A032R):
- Pretty much a "stock replacement" type of pads, not bad for DD
- Mild initial bite(a bit better than stock)
- Firm pedal feel, firmer than stock at high speed braking however it slows down the car as "quick" as stock pads
- Do squeak a bit sometimes, but acceptable
- Brownish dust, need to wash rims more often

Hawk HP+(w/Falken RT615):
- NOT recommended for DD, rotor surface would look quite bad if u do
- Need to warm up especially under cold weather
- Aggressive initial bite
- Firm pedal feel, but once it gets up to a certain temperature then stays the same for maybe 2laps, then performance drops
- VERY annoying grinding noise even with windows all closed & radio on
- Brownish coarse brake dust...had to scrub my wheels every other day & yeah I meant it.

Ferodo DS2500(w/Falken RT615):
- Mild initial bite, and gradually stronger once u step harder on it
- Didn't need to warm up no matter on street, autocross, lapping event(when it's all frosted out)
- Do give me very good confidence to do late brake at turn2 at Pacific Raceway & the hairpins at Mission Raceway...i was worrying about my tires more than my brakes
- Do squeak a little bit after a few hard runs but u can't hear it with windows all closed
- Very fine blackish brake dust - easy to be hosed or wiped away
- Quite rotors friendly as far as I can see

I've been running both Hawk HPS & Ferodo DS2500 in my 00' Civic EM1 before. They aren't so popular here in N.America but I still decide to get these Ferodo pads again coz they are just so nice on & off the track. First it IS a very well known brand name all over the World in different racing series. Secondly, they don't cost me an arm like some of the higher end Japanese pads.

Don't get me wrong! I've been perosnally using stuff like Endless NAS/NAY/CCR/CCX & driven vehicle equipped with Endless CCM/Project U HC Titan etc etc. Some of them are nice pads however some of them do require warm up/too noisy.

Now I don't know if the DS2500 will work well on a higher power vehicle, let's say a new 200hp Si/S2000. But I'm definitely sure it's a nice choice for Fit/Civic/Integra for street & track use!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Have you heard anything about the EBC Yellow or Red stuff pads. I hear Yellow are not so bad in terms of noise but just as grippy in intial bite. FYI, I use Dunlop Star Spec Z1 as my dailies

Because Honestly I love the initial bite of the Hawk HP+ and the bite they have after one session in Auto Cross, where they warm up a bit. But man they are some really noisy pads to DD in. To the point I feel embarrassed about them when I have people in my car and they ask "Are your brakes messed up?"... to answer "No, they are race pads"... and then get the you-are-crazy-look.... hahaha

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
Have you heard anything about the EBC Yellow or Red stuff pads. I hear Yellow are not so bad in terms of noise but just as grippy in intial bite. FYI, I use Dunlop Star Spec Z1 as my dailies

Because Honestly I love the initial bite of the Hawk HP+ and the bite they have after one session in Auto Cross, where they warm up a bit. But man they are some really noisy pads to DD in. To the point I feel embarrassed about them when I have people in my car and they ask "Are your brakes messed up?"... to answer "No, they are race pads"... and then get the you-are-crazy-look.... hahaha
I think Hawk HP+ can be a nice choice for places really hot down south, but definitely not for us here in Canada. It never get that hot here in the west coast.

I haven't really thought of trying the EBC stuff maybe they aren't as big as Ferodo in racing scene. That's probably the reason why I tried Ferodo first & fell in love with the performance it provides. I think I'm gonna stick with Ferodo for a lil while before I switch.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 AM
i vote hawk pads and brmbo blanks

Quick Reply: brake setup for track and DD