Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

Question for those beating their Fit like there is no tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Question for those beating their Fit like there is no tomorrow?

Have any of you felt your brakes mushy, even though properly bled, running stainless lines and decent track pads after hard running on track?

I think the master cylinder is not worthy on the Fit for tracking really. After my event at Suzuka, was running 5.1 fluid that day at the end of the day, my brakes were a bit mushy when the car was running. Turn the engine off, stab the pedal and it would be stiff, start the car and lots of play before it would grab. I had won some Honda DOT 4 that day and at first thought that the lines were not properly bled when the 5.1 fluid was put in. So on the way home from Suzuka, stopped at a nearby Honda and had them bleed the brakes with the new fluid replacing. Mechanic came to me when finished and said all was good, felt good when the engine was off, but upon starting the engine, same exact thing.

Decided to just drive home the 230miles easily as a precaution as this was pointing to the master cylinder failing, at least my opinion. On the way home was quite exhausted, so stopped at a convenience store and slept for a couple hours. Woke up and started back on my way and the brakes felt better. Even now they feel alright, but I'm wondering if I should see if I can swap to a better master cylinder from another model.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
lol you expected a larger amount of replies right? haha

Hi 555, my love!

As you know, I live in Texas where the temp reaches 112° in the summer. I have posted my setup below. I have NEVER had any problems with anything. always felt great. also, i beat my car at Texas World Speedway mostly. Its 3.1 miles long per lap and TONS of speed and braking. Tons of major elevation changes too.

ATE super blue brake fluid

EBC Slotted and Dimpled Rotors

Hawk HP Plus Brake Pads

now ofcourse all this is going to change (besides the fluid) with my new engine setup.. HELLO CARBOTECH and FASTBRAKES

Old 12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
lol, there not many that push there cars to its limits like you two! Hell im still on the stock pads and rotos from when I picked my car up in Oct 07...maybe its time to change/upgrade them :P

Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
lol, there not many that push there cars to its limits like you two! Hell im still on the stock pads and rotos from when I picked my car up in Oct 07...maybe its time to change/upgrade them :P
MN! I would have NEVER expected this from you

Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
@MNFIT: Boy, you crazy! I'm on stock L15/5MT and I'm amazed at how weak the brakes are.

@555: No idea, but I would imagine something is compatible, what about the FD2R/FA5/DC5/EP3/etc?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by JCrimson
MN! I would have NEVER expected this from you
the thing is though the stock brakes still work amazingly, they bite as hard as the did from day one I have always been very careful about using the brakes and would coast as much as I could, probable why I have gotten the life I have out of them. I will say before the car hits the roads again this summer I will do the brakes, be it a full upgrade or just replacing the pads and rotors

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Im going to upgrade to the Fastbrakes front and rear DC5 type R 11" kits. O.O I need more brakes for this engine of course but want to still clear my 15" wheels. this will do the trick. nothing like OEM anyways.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Wait, DC5R? Don't DC5R's have Brembos that would mandate a 17" wheel?

Do you mean DC2R?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
errr DC2 lol

Old 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm SUPER hard on my brakes, day in and day out. If I have a passenger I can see them tense up as my braking is at the limit. I do this on normal roads just so I don't lose any feel or edge. So much time is made up or lost under braking, but of course it is a very fine line as too late and your going to ruin the best line.

It might also be that the master cylinder is moving under heavy pressure, might see what I can rig up for a master cylinder stopper just to help a bit as well. That last day over at Suzuka was a first, the car was still braking alright on circuit, it's just when I was going to leave I really noticed.

Honestly I wasn't expecting so many replies, afterall this is a forum that doesn't have so many track junkies, I'm sure if I put up, hey I want to be hellaundrivable and have a question, many more responses would have come.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
hahah I would love to see more fit racing

Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
My plan is to upgrade to the Wilwood Fronts, for that bit of bling i love to have... yep im a ricer and then the fastbrake rear disc conversion.

As for Fits racing I really hope I can hit up the 1/4 mile this summer. Im looking into getting some wheels and slicks

Last edited by MNfit; 12-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
one day when we are rich and famous, lets all meet up and rent a track and have a super unlimited honda fit battle. wheel to wheel.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Super unlimited Fit...hmmmm K20 with F22 crank and ITBs with the bonnet cut out to allow them more intake and revving to 11000 stock!!! YUM YUM YUM!!!

Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
one day when we are rich and famous, lets all meet up and rent a track and have a super unlimited honda fit battle. wheel to wheel.
Yessssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be AMAZING!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Have any of you felt your brakes mushy, even though properly bled, running stainless lines and decent track pads after hard running on track?
Sure.

I wouldn't assume it's the MC failing.

What kind of brake setup do you have? Pads/rotors/4disc/2disc2drum?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Just make sure there's a big straight so I can fly past for a bit and feel good before you overtake again in the corners lol

Full weight, full interior Fit plus 305lb driver and probably around 80lbs of turbos and associated bits.

FWIW, the couple times I have been to Elkhart Lake the stock BMC seemed to hold up just fine. Brembo/Hawk/Motul here

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
About the soft brake pedal.... The type 4 brake fluid is known to absorb more water than type 3 fluids... Awhile back I read that Type 4 fluid isn't allowed in SCCA competition and even when using type3, fluid changes are required between every day of racing... Moisture in the system is what makes the pedal mushy, especially when the brakes are very hot.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
About the soft brake pedal.... The type 4 brake fluid is known to absorb more water than type 3 fluids... Awhile back I read that Type 4 fluid isn't allowed in SCCA competition and even when using type3, fluid changes are required between every day of racing... Moisture in the system is what makes the pedal mushy, especially when the brakes are very hot.
This is a good point and even more true with DOT5.1, but I don't know how long he had that fluid in the car before the event.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and I were talking about me doing some Autocross after I get a decent used car as a daily driver... There is no way I could handle a racing seat for very long with my back being in the shape it is in... It may be better for me to just let the younger guys that can get to the events easier than can do that stuff... I have a lot of fun on the less traveled back roads in this area.

Quick Reply: Question for those beating their Fit like there is no tomorrow?