Car Shows, Events, and Racing Announcements, discussions, news reports, and pictures for Car Shows, Race Events, Media Events, and Group Drive Events. Please post Event Location in the Thread Title since this is an International Forum!

'12 Fit Sport or '12 Yaris SE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
'12 Fit Sport or '12 Yaris SE?

I used to autocross my 2008 Fit Sport a few years ago and now with SCCA's new STF class, I'm looking to pick up another gas-sipper.

I will be purchasing a car within the next two weeks and just can't decide which car to get. My friend has a 2011 Fit Sport and it feels like an MPV versus my 2008. The 2012 Yaris SE is roughly 230 lbs lighter but trails the Fit by 11hp and 3 lb/ft of torque. Both get similar gas mileage with a manual.

Has anyone driven both cars?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Why not try the Mazda 2.... I am hearing all sorts of good things.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
^mazda2 x2...

pretty much the best drivers car in the segment...

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I got beat by 2 Mazda 2s at the Dixie National Tour.
BUT the fastest in STF was a MINI. The 2 still seems to be the car of choice... see what Andy Hollis is driving?
I'm looking to try again in STF at the Solo National Championships since my suspension was completely revised and the car is less of an axe-murderer

I still plan on not doing well hahaha, but it sure will be fun!

I have a good friend with a 2010 Yaris, and he's always very quick too... so it's also a capable car. I just absolutely hate the looks of the 2012 Yaris

Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Yaris's are Fugly but the engines are more responsives to mods then the Fit's L15A!

Mazda 2 are apparently quick too or so i hear!

My Fit with DC Heeader and rear seats removed Vs. a friend's Bone Stock Yaris!

Honda Fit Stock vs Toyota Yaris Stock - YouTube

Marko!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I have not driven a Yaris but I have sat in one and the driving position is, for me, horrible. It's sort of like an airline seat, in that the place where lumbar support should be feels mostly concave, while the upper part of the seat pushes your shoulders forward. I like sitting upright; if you're a confirmed sloucher you might like it. It's basically the opposite from the Fit seat in that respect. So that would have been a total dealbreaker even if the reviews of the car had been good. CR hates the thing, which should tell you something.

Lest you think that I have everything that's not Honda ... not true! I drove a Mazda2 (and 3), not so much because I expected it to change my mind about the Fit, but more to just make sure I was giving some other cars a fair shot. I'll leave my opinion of the 3 out (I like it for different reasons), but the 2 was a blast. Because it's so slight, the suspension can be very comfortable while still being very responsive - basically the opposite of a German car :P. The 4-spd auto is clearly no sports car, but the gear ratios work well and I imagine even more fun with a manual. It felt very much like a real car, not like the penalty boxes that used to be this segment, but it is JUST ENOUGH car to not feel that way. Front seats quite comfy; rear headroom not available as far as I was able to determine. Minimal cargo room.

As you said, the Fit is like a mini-mini-MPV. It's a small car by the US definition of small; the Mazda2 is a small car by everyone else's.

I liked it a lot. You get to sit in Miatas every time you get the oil changed. And it is very cheap!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I'll add that if you are shopping in this class you might consider the Ford Fiesta - like the 2 but with a more Germanic, confident road feel than the 2 or the Fit. And the Hyundai Accent. Very nice looking car, lots of kit, inexpensive and good warranty. Not a driver's car, but if you are looking at Yarises, you will forgive me if I acknowledge at least the possibility that you may enjoy things like porridge, unflavored rice cakes, taking the local train, and beige ... and so perhaps it'll be perfect!

Actually, I do believe the SE gets a sportier suspension than the other Yarii.