New to Detroit. How do I prepare for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:11 PM
New to Detroit. How do I prepare for winter?

I drove my Fit last month from California, and will see Michigan winter for its first time. What should I change other than snow tires? Also, I don't see much Fits being driven around. Would this lower my resale value here?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Assuming you don't have winter blend windshield washer fluid in the car, use up what you have (or at least as much of it as you can before really cold weather hits) and fill it up with cold weather washer fluid. The bottle usually says that it's good to -20° or something along those lines. Frozen windshield washer fluid is very annoying when you have salt spray blocking your vision.

You'll want to buy an ice scraper and a snow brush that looks sort of like a giant toothbrush at some point.

I don't know that regional popularity of a mass market car has a huge effect on its resale value. You may have fewer interested buyers, but also fewer competing sellers, so it should kind of even out, I'd think. Regardless, resale value of Fits is rarely a problem when you're selling.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Assuming you don't have winter blend windshield washer fluid in the car, use up what you have (or at least as much of it as you can before really cold weather hits) and fill it up with cold weather washer fluid. The bottle usually says that it's good to -20° or something along those lines. Frozen windshield washer fluid is very annoying when you have salt spray blocking your vision.

You'll want to buy an ice scraper and a snow brush that looks sort of like a giant toothbrush at some point.

I don't know that regional popularity of a mass market car has a huge effect on its resale value. You may have fewer interested buyers, but also fewer competing sellers, so it should kind of even out, I'd think. Regardless, resale value of Fits is rarely a problem when you're selling.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 10-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Snow Tires. Ice/Snow Scraper, please clear all the snow off of your car/clear the windows... before you hit the road.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Also a set of winter wiper blades
a manual trans can be helpful too with tire spin/sliding on snow-covered slippery roads