Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by martymcfly
For auto I believe you have to do a "flush". Drain and fill changes only a portion of the total. I don't have a auto fit but from what I practice in my other auto, auto is even more demanding on the fluid and it should be changed every 30k at least. Check the owner manual for auto change interval.
The 2007 Honda Fit Factory Service Manual calls for a drain and fill, not a flush. Personally I do a drain and fill, drive to mix and repeat. This gives me a 75% change.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
if anyone needs that pump thing, i have one that i'm willing to sell i don't use it anymore.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lamyun
That drain plug, it is not an allen is it? I just wanted to be sure from the picture. Can someone confirm?

~Robert

Old 02-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^i don't know what it's called, but it's just the extended adapter that you'd attach the socket to (on a socket wrench).

Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member
Its just a square slot.

You can get a special socket for these plugs but you can get away with using a 3/8" extension from a socket set.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
damn, next time I'm doing it my damn self. Honda charged me $92 to do it bc I was f-cking lazy and not doing it myself hahaa.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
^i don't know what it's called, but it's just the extended adapter that you'd attach the socket to (on a socket wrench).
Originally Posted by joe bloggs
Its just a square slot.

You can get a special socket for these plugs but you can get away with using a 3/8" extension from a socket set.
Thanks guys I finished it last night. I just stuck a 3/8 socket wrench and just loosen it. Easy job done. I would suggest anyone to do this themselves if you have the proper equipment.

~Robert

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
What do you guys recommend aside from AmSoil? AmSoil dealer is hard to find. I found one close to me but his distance from me is about 45miles one way.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black01
What do you guys recommend aside from AmSoil? AmSoil dealer is hard to find. I found one close to me but his distance from me is about 45miles one way.
Consider being a preferred customer ($20 membership for a year) and order oil and oil filter together and have them shipped to your door.

- Tim

Old 02-27-2010, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
What do you guys recommend aside from AmSoil? AmSoil dealer is hard to find.
OE Honda MTF is excellent stuff.

Get it from any dealer.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
OE Honda MTF is excellent stuff.

Get it from any dealer.
Okay thanks. That's what I was gonna do. I was thinking maybe there are other transmission fluid that is recommended by fit owners that I can get from places like Autozone or similar stores.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking maybe there are other transmission fluid that is recommended by fit owners that I can get from places like Autozone or similar stores.
Aside from Amsoil, Redline MTL is good, you may find that at a store. Our local NAPA can get it but they usually have to order it in. Castrol TFX is excellent (but just TRY and find that in the USA!)

If you have a Honda or Acura dealer nearby, it's easier just to use the OE stuff. That's what I do.

++++++++++

MTF is a delicate mixture of slippery and not-so-slippery fluids (friction modifiers).

Yes, it is desirable to use the most slippery liquid possible, this promotes those buttery smooth shifts. It should be high-pressure enough not to be squeezed out from between the gear surfaces. This prevents gearbox wear and keeps temps cool inside the 'box.

But, the synchronizers (the things that prevent gear "crunch" when shifting) need some friction or they can't do their job.

That is why Honda, GM, Amsoil, and Redline (probably others) have concocted special blends just for manual gearboxes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope my "layman's descriptions" of gear oil properties haven't insulted you. There are explanations of properties on the Amsoil and Redline websites that are more technical.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Not to bring this up from the dead but...I notice that in the OP's DIY it says you need to jack up the driver's side but then later that it should be on level ground to check the fluid level. So...at what point in the procedure do you let the car back down to be on level ground?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Inertia20
Not to bring this up from the dead but...I notice that in the OP's DIY it says you need to jack up the driver's side but then later that it should be on level ground to check the fluid level. So...at what point in the procedure do you let the car back down to be on level ground?

just put the car on jack stands. makes it easier and it will be level
the whole time.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
risk of foaming in fluid

If you run it with too much fluid you have a high risk of foaming and loss of lubricity in the fluid. Result will be lots of wear & premature failure.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Lightbulb DOing it this weekend!!

I'm about to do my MTF oil change this weekend, I'll be at 50k hopefully by this Sunday so I think it's perfect timing!

Luckily I have 3 quarts of Honda MTF laying around so I'll just use that.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
I changed mine last PM. 69,xxx miles and I waited for the maintenance minder to cue the change. The fluid that came out was clear like new. Replaced with Honda Genuine MTF.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Exclamation just finished

I just finished my tranny oil, engine oil, and I even cleaned and re-oiled my KN filter.

Did anyone notice that the tranny drain and fill bolts were kinda loose? When I put my wrench on them, the popped right off with a little pressure. I made sure to torque them down to 35 ft/lbs just to get the crush washer to crush!

Kinda weird how the tranny only took like 1.6 quarts of Honda MTF before it started coming out of the fill hole.

I used jack stands to level the Fit and I custom made a filler with 2 clear tubes and a long funnel. Had my wife pour the MTF from the top of the engine and I was under the Fit ready to plug up the fill hole, it worked like a charm.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Whats wrong with doing this

When changing tranny oil whats wrong with putting same amount of oil you take out back in with the new oil and also why not use the hole where the dipstick is to put the new oil back in. Then just for sure measure you check level like you should with dipstick to make sure its back at proper level.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm wondering the same thing as him ^^?

Quick Reply: DIY Transmission Fluid Change