Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Protective Covering from Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Protective Covering from Dealer

First new car ever. I will never use a dealer again. You think you have a number agreed on, and then you get to the 'financial' person, and they hit you with more things you're supposed to buy.

I turned everything down.

However, I'm thinking I need to revisit 'protective covering' they talked about. I bought a black Fit, and I live in very hot, dry country. Southwest US. I couldn't find any links anywhere about this 'protective covering' that Honda provides at dealerships that will keep the car color and exterior looking better longer. They also didn't give me any materials on it.

Anyone opt for this and know more about it? They wanted $599, but said they had a coupon and would do for $399. Is it necessary? Will it help?

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Anything a dealer offers you is a rip off. Protective coating is expensive car wax, save your money and wax your car yourself.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned
I know Kanab-

Hot & dry is right (summer anyway). I bought the protective coating because a new paint job is free if bird crap or tree sap (funny how you get both problems at the same time) cause damage to the paint. I paid about the same as your lower price, and got interior protection coating at the same time. I get a free repeat process in 2 1/2 years. This was not just wax. No stains from the acids in bird crap, and redwood sap (looks like blood) comes right off with a wash.

I wash about every 1 1/2 weeks, use a car cover when it sits for long periods without driving, and wax regularly. The guaranteed repaint if paint damage occurs made this a good insurance policy, in my opinion, based on poor Honda paint quality posted all over this forum.

After 8 months outside in Central Coast CA, my BOM paint looks new in spite of the blue jays that live in overhead in my redwood trees.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by greygang
First new car ever. I will never use a dealer again. You think you have a number agreed on, and then you get to the 'financial' person, and they hit you with more things you're supposed to buy.

I turned everything down.

However, I'm thinking I need to revisit 'protective covering' they talked about. I bought a black Fit, and I live in very hot, dry country. Southwest US. I couldn't find any links anywhere about this 'protective covering' that Honda provides at dealerships that will keep the car color and exterior looking better longer. They also didn't give me any materials on it.

Anyone opt for this and know more about it? They wanted $599, but said they had a coupon and would do for $399. Is it necessary? Will it help?

Thanks.
I believe the protective "coating" that the dealer is referring to is rustproofing/wax sealant/interior sealant (ie. scotchguard) all in one package. I have this package on my Fit, but I do live in an area where rustproofing is essential. There is a reason why jumbo jets are mothballed in places like Nevada because the dry, non-humid environment slows down the rust forming process. You can basically live without this option and save yourself some pretty decent coin.

If you still want to do something like this, it's pretty simple really. A 5-year rustproof coat can be done for a third of the price than what the dealer charges. You can easily wax the car yourself, especially if you wash your car on a regular basis. As for the interior, a good wet/dry vac and carpet cleaner will do wonders in keeping that "showroom" look.

Good luck with your purchase.