Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY ATF Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
If you can find a transmission dipstick on the '07 manual trans, tell me where it is...

On the '07 I refilled ours using a funnel connected to a length of clear plastic vinyl tube (Home Depot sells this stuff). I hung the funnel on the open hood with a bit of coat hangar.

You fill it until the fluid drips out of the fill-hole...that's the proper level.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
nm i was thinking about my previous car when i was writing the post... i actually was about to start a tranny fluid change and realized that i had a completely different car in mind the whole time

hahahaha my bad guys

Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
i just smelled mine today and its like super burnt and brown! what color is it supposed to be? i'm gonna change it soon,

toyota lover - so you probably got more than the 2.5ish quarts that the people are getting out of it by jacking it up in this method. could you leave the passenger side completely touching hte floor and change it like that? probably would be hard to do right? to unloosen the bolt?

anybody know some more info about the filter?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by chrisng
i just smelled mine today and its like super burnt and brown! what color is it supposed to be? i'm gonna change it soon,

toyota lover - so you probably got more than the 2.5ish quarts that the people are getting out of it by jacking it up in this method. could you leave the passenger side completely touching hte floor and change it like that? probably would be hard to do right? to unloosen the bolt?

anybody know some more info about the filter?

The filter is under the battey!! You won't miss it, it's a small black can with hoses on both end! Something like 30$ at a Honda Dealer...

Marko!!

Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
hmmm should we change the filter? it seems kinda pricey! would that help at all?

dohctor did you have a mini coop? i used to have one, hands down funnest car EVER.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
No, but i used top have Neons!! There are not a lot of peoples who knows that 1st gens Mini engines are based on the 2 liter SOHC Neon engines! I wanted a Mini but according to a lot of reviews, it seems that reliability isn't so good... But it sure does look very good!!

Marko!!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DOHCtor
No, but i used top have Neons!! There are not a lot of peoples who knows that 1st gens Mini engines are based on the 2 liter SOHC Neon engines! I wanted a Mini but according to a lot of reviews, it seems that reliability isn't so good... But it sure does look very good!!

Marko!!
oh dang. that's crazy i did not know that. my mini was a buttload of fun. it felt WAY faster than my current si. i guess it was all that torque. but on the street its slower.. but man did that thing handle.. lets take this to pm. don't want to get off track.

anybody know anything about the filter?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Look 3 post above yours!!

Personately, i didn't change it yet as my car, at the moment of the oil change, only had 45 000km! Granted i'm gonna change it at my next service this summer as the car will be in the 70 to 80k km range and i only did a partial oil change as recommended by Honda!! I will also completely switch to AMSoil universal ATF... Slick stuff!!

Marko!

Last edited by DOHCtor; 02-25-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
anyone know the correct part numbers for the washers. My parts guy gave me two 90471-px4-000. I just can't help but think its wrong.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Another way to drain/change your A/T fluid is to disconnect the tranny cooler hose going into the radiator cooler. Start the engine, let it drain a quart into a empty quart jug. Shut off engine, refill with a new quart. Do this with as many quarts as you want to change out. I believe it holds 6.2 quarts. I swapped out 6 quarts using this method. When I drained quart #5, the fluid (Amsoil) coming out started to look new. My fluid is right on the MAX mark using this method.

There is a large tranny fill plug just off center left, right behind the Air Mass Meter on the left side/back of the engine. It is either a 17mm or 19mm bolt I believe. It gives access the the top of the tranny reservoir chamber. Makes it easy to fill up with a long snout funnel.

If your tranny fluid is wearing out to quickly, install a aftermarket oil cooler in series with/after the stock radiator cooler. I have done that to all my A/T cars. Keeps the fluid fresh for a looooong time.

Last edited by rocksnap; 07-25-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I tought about a tranny cooler, but here in quebec winters can be harsh and very cold... i've heard things about nissans tranny that didn't like to be too cold at all so i'm just not sure about it... Let's see how she's gonna feel with a fresh filter and some Red Line D4 ATF!!

Marko!!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Where's the min / max level on the dip stick?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Thought I'd add these pics since the ones on page 1 are dead.

Drain:
Name:  atfdrain.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  91.5 KB

Fill bolt. Intake and battery pulled.
Name:  atffill.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  55.0 KB

Old 12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
atf

Good find. I didn't know there was a fill bolt on top. So how did you guess how much to fill?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
I started with 2.5 bottles right off the bat and kept adding until I got to where I wanted on the dipstick.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
How about pulling the line that runs from the cooler back to the engine. That way you'd be pushing the old fluid from the cooler as well.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
dasboot, make sure to use some jack stands while working on your car. The Fit is a pretty light car, but I doubt you can bench press around 3000 lbs if the car were to fall on top of you. Thanks for the pics, they are very helpful.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
lol no worries brother. that was just for the drain. i never get under there with just a jack.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
anybody know if we can use the fuel efficent amsoil stuff? its not listed in the discription...

AMSOIL - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)
(not sure aboutu this one)
vs.

AMSOIL - Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
this one is fine

Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
Another way to drain/change your A/T fluid is to disconnect the tranny cooler hose going into the radiator cooler. Start the engine, let it drain a quart into a empty quart jug. Shut off engine, refill with a new quart. Do this with as many quarts as you want to change out. I believe it holds 6.2 quarts. I swapped out 6 quarts using this method. When I drained quart #5, the fluid (Amsoil) coming out started to look new. My fluid is right on the MAX mark using this method.

There is a large tranny fill plug just off center left, right behind the Air Mass Meter on the left side/back of the engine. It is either a 17mm or 19mm bolt I believe. It gives access the the top of the tranny reservoir chamber. Makes it easy to fill up with a long snout funnel.

If your tranny fluid is wearing out to quickly, install a aftermarket oil cooler in series with/after the stock radiator cooler. I have done that to all my A/T cars. Keeps the fluid fresh for a looooong time.

Which hose do you disconnect........there's 2 of them.....

The left one or the right one.......looking at the engine from the front....z

Quick Reply: DIY ATF Change