Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Anyone try a clear bra yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Anyone try a clear bra yet?

Has anyone installed one of those "stick on" protection films that go on the edge of the hood, etc.? You're suppose to barely see them on there, and it should look much better than a huge bra.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member

No,,,heheheh

Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
lol i was scrolling down and looking at your pic thinking, "that's not a clearbra..."

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 AM
I was going to say - no, but there are a few goofballs here that are constructing their own with Glad Press-n-Seal and/or masking tape.

I've seen them on other cars and they're damn near invisible. Even if you were consciously looking for the clearbra, you'd only be able to see it from a few feet away. I'm planning on putting one on my Fit, but they're kind of expensive, eh? Like around $400?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I am getting my hood fenders and mirrors done tomo afternoon as well as tint all the way around, including front doors.

I will take some pics for you guys. I am still unsure about it. If you dont take care of it... it ends up looking like crap and discolored. But i am anal about my cars... so i will keep it looking good.

I will try to put pics up this weekend.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:50 PM
got a precut 3m kit off of ebay...

I got a kit off of eBay. The Fit is still a newer-ish car, so if you have the sport trim, make sure you get a sport trim kit.

I'll post some pics later when I get may camera back.

I did install the kit myself, and I've never done a clearbra or tinting before, so it's not perfect, but the whole thing cost me about $115 bucks. The bumper is really difficult, towards the ends, the curves get pretty complicated. Eventually, I had to cut the ends of the bumper off and do them separately.

Anyways, when I post the pics, remember that I did it myself to save some money, I took my time and I'm pretty careful with this kind of stuff. I'm posting these so you have an idea of how it could look if you do it yourself. There are definitely blemishes, and you can see the edge of the kit on the NHBP (black) Fit, but you can't really tell from more than a couple feet away, and it's comforting to know that the low body kit is protected.

blah, anyways, pics to follow

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
I bought one online too. I'll post pics whenever I get to them. Which will be months from now... haha

Old 10-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Retired Moderator
My Fit has VentureShield on it

Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 PM
pics

Hey,
Sorry it took a couple days, my wife had the camera...

Anyways, here's a 3M precut kit I got from eBay and installed myself. I've never done tint or clear bra before, so there was definitely a learning curve, please be kind... there are defects I just couldn't fix.

From 3 feet away, the defects are almost invisible:

In case you're wondering, here are the areas that the kit covers, which includes the entire bumper and lower body, separate pieces for the fog lights, rear view mirrors, and even a little piece for the rear view mirror stalk.

here's another shot in different light, still looks pretty good I think.

some parts turned out really good. for example, the drivers side front fender. I turned the camera to capture the line at the edge of the film (the line extends back right at the top of the orange reflector).

Here's how the hood turned out (notice that the kit is just about as shiny as the paint). You CAN see a line at the top edge of the film, I think it wouldn't be as bad if your Fit is a different color:

another shot in different light and from a different angle. can you see the line?

and here's a closeup of the edge of the kit for the front bumper. My kit had a very thin piece that goes on the part of the body right below the hood. While I was installing it, it touched the ground and got dirty, and I thought that I couldn't get it clean again, so I just cut it off.

ok, so here are my shots of the parts I screwed up on, where there are bubbles, creases along the edges, and ripples in the kit because I got to aggressive trying toget rid of bubbles, and ended up wrinkling the kit. The ends of the bumper were the worst.

so, that's what a self-installed kit looks like. The 3M kit was pretty straightforward. If you had it installed, I'm guessing it would look better. If you do end up doing it yourself, my biggest recommendations are to spray solutions liberally (both the soap and the alcohol), and if your kit comes with long, thin parts, be careful not to let them drape on the ground, and if they do, cutting them off and just not worrying about them saved me a lot of grief.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lubricus; 10-14-2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Did you get yours at Xtremecity? Cause I did. I hope mine will look as good, hopefully even better when I get around to putting it on.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I got it from the "Advantage Clearbra Paint Protection" eBay store.

It's 3M 8mil Scotchguard.

The guy was good to work with (sends e-mail instructions and a instructional dvd), although I think the bumper piece wasn't wide enough... but that might've been my inexperience, not stretching it out enough. I can't tell.