Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

riddle me this about a clay bar,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
riddle me this about a clay bar,,,,

if the bar takes all the stuff off your car,,,
-were does the dirt go?
-why don't you get scratches from the particals in the bar from the previous cleaning?
-do you clean the particals out of the bar,,,,how?
-when do you throw the bar away and get a new one?
sorry I'm ate up with the dumb azz

Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
to answer one of your questions:

-were does the dirt go? the particles get embedded into the claybar

and i don't know about the rest haha

Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Banned
No cleaning possible. After awhile when you notice "Particles" or color change it's "Trashcan" time

Old 10-05-2007, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
You fold the bar constantly while using, the dirt does embed into the bar, and as Claymore said you toss it in the can. You can tell when it's time. I have gone through a few. They are well worth it.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM
remember also that what a clay bar takes off should only be minute particles due to the fact that you have already washed the car of as much other particles as possible.

one reason there shouldn't be scratching is due to the lubricant aiding a gliding over effect. it may be possible to scratch the finish if you don't properly lubricate, though IDK.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info,,will try it later,,,

Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Also remember to do a good wax job after you use the bar. Your car will be without any wax after removing all the toxins on your paint with the bar. Hand wax works well but to get a really good shine and protection use a DA polisher. This should also answer any more Qs that you have

meguiars.com: Car Care Video Guide

-B

Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the link dude,,,,,,,,

Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Or use Tortoise ICE liquid claybar
No folding, kneading, etc

Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Apex77
Or use Tortoise ICE liquid claybar
No folding, kneading, etc
There's a HUGE difference between real claybar and Liquid Crap-err I mean Ice claybar. Those ICE products work fine short-term, but they do not last long at all, and the results you could get by spending the same amount of money on Meguiars Gold Class products are much better. We used ICE Liquid Claybar and Wax on my black F250 Superduty, and the results were great, but after it rained twice and we washed the truck, it looked dull again and needed wax again. IMO The stuff isn't great.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
how about "mother's" claybar?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raymond87
There's a HUGE difference between real claybar and Liquid Crap-err I mean Ice claybar. Those ICE products work fine short-term, but they do not last long at all, and the results you could get by spending the same amount of money on Meguiars Gold Class products are much better. We used ICE Liquid Claybar and Wax on my black F250 Superduty, and the results were great, but after it rained twice and we washed the truck, it looked dull again and needed wax again. IMO The stuff isn't great.
I'm thinking that 's the wax failing not the liquid claybar,,,the clay bar stuff is just for cleaning,,,

Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by grouser
I'm thinking that 's the wax failing not the liquid claybar,,,the clay bar stuff is just for cleaning,,,
Oh I realize that, but I'm saying, the real claybar available from Meguiars, Mothers, or any other $$ brand works a lot better than the Liquid ICE claybar. That's why I suggested the Meguiars Gold Class claybar, it's the same price as the ICE and works better.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM
like the guys have said above, it take out the little particles that get into your clearcoat, overtime the particles start to damage the clearcoat thus revealing an oxidized hood or roof. trust me, i've seen people not even wash there brand new car, and in a years time, they wonder why the paint is all funky. either way a claybar can possibly scratch your car if you use it too many times, a claybars life is about 3-4 cars.

theres a few ways to use a claybar;

1. you can use the provided solution (in this case it is usually a bottle of quick detailing liquid that shines your paint) and spray a section of your car and while its wet use the clay bar and slide it across the paint, keep in mind stay in the wet areas. once you've finished, start a new section until the car is finished.

the second method is my method of chioce, i used to be a professional detailer, and only use Meguires, trust me, this works better than the first method.

2. Start out by getting your car ready to wash, soap and wash up a section of the car, while its still soapy, use the claybar in that section, this will work very well because the water and soap provide a better lubricated surface and the bar won't stick. once you've done the section, rinse off with water, and start a new section untill the car is done.

there you have it...enjoy...if you have any other detail questions, let me know.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
God made claybar...

/thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I used the bar Friday night on my Fit and then waxed it.
Only reason why I used the bar was because at my job, I dont know how; my Fit gets sap on it. There is a tree by where I park but its not near my car. I could park under the tree if I wanted to reduce interior temps but I choose to park in the dead sun from 8 - 4:30 everyday.

My clay bar is by BlueCorral. Its professional series and only offered through dealers. I stole it when I was working at Carmax. The only thing you need to do is keep the area wet, I didnt need a spray of any type. I did use a bucket of water and carwash though.

The bar left slight scratches on my hood. Guess you can call them swirls, although they didnt swirl. I waxed most of them out.
The sap is gone and my car looks great. I must admit she looks VERY red. Like the day I got her.

All I used was:
Claybar
EagleOne Nanowax.

I didnt use cleaner wax like someone suggest.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
ive done claybars, specially Meguiars and its the sh!t...but recently i bought a lil spray bottle called "all remover" and it basically does the same thing..removes all kinds of dirt,grease,bird shit, road debri(spell?) etc. etc.

What i mean is, ive had same results in a easier way. But talking bout the clay bar.. i dont know if it is my car or me, but i dont see anyway ill be using the same clay bar for a next time..i usually tear the large clay bar in two or three pieces and use them separate for one time only since they get a lot of things in them after even only using it on the rear hatch of the Fit