Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

08 Fit Tire Pressure Monitor Disable

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Question 08 Fit Tire Pressure Monitor Disable

Just picked up my '08 Fit Sport and love it; I immediately installed my winter tire/wheel package from Tire Rack (I also love that, they roll wonderfully, absolutely no vibration). Now my tire pressure monitoring system light won't go off. Any idea how to disable that annoying and (for me) unnecessary system or at least get the light to go off?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
either get sensors for the winter rims, or pull out the light bulb for it.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Is it very hard to get to the light bulb?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
you have to remove the gauge cluster and the gauge face.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'll check out the service manual, then, thanks.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Check with your dealers service department. I don't know how Honda does it, but VWs main computers can easily be coded to turn certain features on and off with their interface tools.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
At what pressure does the light come on? Last night(36F) the light came on, this morning all the tires were at 28psi(33F). I pumped them up to 32psi and the light was still on, reading my manual warming up the car and deciding my options I drove about 150ft. then the light goes off. Drive about 5 miles today with one stop, no light. I didn't check the psi when I got home though - should have..

Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I have been electing to ignore the light, and since it is a pleasant enough shade of yellow, it really doesn't bother me. I'm glad Honda made it just an idiot light. I developed the habit long ago of checking my tire pressures regularly visually and with a good gauge, so consider the system an unnecessary expense. But since most drivers don't pay attention to their cars, it's a good safety and "environmentology" move on Honda's part. Sounds like yours is working as designed. I put 37 psi in my Tire Rack winter package tires at 72 degrees F. the night I brought the car home before installing them since it was 12 degrees F. outside and I followed the "1 pound loss with each loss of 10 degrees" rule of thumb. Once the tires acclimated, at 15 degees or so they were at around 31.5 degrees on the fronts, a little less on the rears. I adjust them to 32 pounds at 6:15 am before going to work once a week.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
check out the fuse box. there is a fuse for tpms. i just saw it last night but don't know if pulling it would cause any other ill effects.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:04 AM
VERY simple. I don't run the sensors. All you do is put the wheels w/sensors on the car, run it and the light goes off. Turn car off and put those sensors as far as possible away from the car. Put new setup on. The car only sends a light on when the sensors reads low, if the sensor isnt there to send the signal, the signal is never recieved so the light never comes on. I have my sensors at our shop in the back corner, probly around 60-70ft away from where the car ever goes.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
My sensors are on the OEM wheels/tires stored about 40-50 feet from where the car is parked at night, in an outdoor shed. Could the sensors be "read" by the car at that distance? If so, then the OEM tires probably went down in pressure overnight the first night, prompting the light the next day. I'd sure like to keep the OEM's stored where they are so I think I'll look for that fuse. I hadn't gotten around to poking around for that yet. Heck, I'd put the fuse back in during the spring/summer/fall seasons.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Yea I got about 50ft ish towards my old sensors and they triggered it. As tires it they do drop in pressure. I just know I keep my sensors far away and havent had issues with a light.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Tpms ?

i work for a acura/honda dealer. the tpms(tire pressuring monitor system) will go off at 28psi or lower. the system was invented to save people from blow outs. THERE IS NO WAY TO DISABLE THE TPMS SYSTEM. the FEDS made it mandatory for vehicles produced 08-. you can try using honda factory tpms on your rims it might work, but remember you must have the sensors be programmed to the tpms unit. THATS EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE TIRES. i say screw it jus ignore the light... but hey thats jus me

Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
I think then, that ignoring the light is the way for me to go, unless I decide to inflate my stored tires and see what happens. If so, I'll post again. Thanks for the word from the dealership.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 AM
what happens if you pull the fuse?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
How do you get the system to recognize the new set of wheels? If you have two sets of sensors, does it know which it is looking for?

Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by wala nang boost
what happens if you pull the fuse?
trust me leave it alone. ignore the light.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by WYSIWYG
How do you get the system to recognize the new set of wheels? If you have two sets of sensors, does it know which it is looking for?
ONLY HONDA TPMS needs a special tool that ONLY DEALERSHIPS HAVE. In order to learn the sensors i need The HDS(Honda Diagnostic System) and the tpms learning unit. it takes about 1 hr to program. I've never seen any aftermarket sensors that worked on with the stock reciver(tpms brain). I've recomended using the HONDA PERFOMANCE TPMS and ive never had a problem with them.*ANSWER TO UR ? you need to have the system programmed to those wheels. gotta bring to DEALER

Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
BTW, if you remove the fuse, the TPMS light still burns brightly. I am actively ignoring it.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
8o8diff, thanks for your reply. Do I need to take it to the dealer every time I switch between winter and summer tires? Does anyone know if they TPMS that tirerack sends out will work with the TPMS system in the car? Or do I need to buy the Honda sensors from the dealer?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 08 Fit Tire Pressure Monitor Disable