Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

First oil change & oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
First oil change & oil analysis

With my first oil change @ 5k, I had an oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Here are the results.

As I get more results back in the future, I'll post them for you guys.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
very good idea. i'm glad you posted this. i now plan to send in my oil as well for analysis. out of curiosity, have you read the motor oil bible? what oil do you now use?

when i get my results, i'll post it up here, if you don't mind.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oh wow that is really cool! how much did the oil analysis cost? if it's not a lot i'd like to do one too and see how my oil looks.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Ken,

Haven't read the motor oil Bible but I'm sure I've read excerpts of it. Ever since my motorcycling days I've tried to do good research and run good oil in my vehicles. I was running Mobil Extended in our other vehicles (an Odyssey and a Toyota pickup) but after researching some other synthetics, including Amsoil, I'm now running RLI's bio-synthetic. I was researching extended oil change intervals and was thinking about Mobil 1 or Amsoil when I came across Bob is the oil guy and a thread on RLI's oils. They're a bio-synthetic that has some really amazing properties. I'm also using Amsoil's Ea oil filters.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
The standard analysis from Blackstone Labs is $22.50 If you buy a six-pack of tests you can get them for $17 each.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave brown
The standard analysis from Blackstone Labs is $22.50 If you buy a six-pack of tests you can get them for $17 each.
icic, thanks a lot

Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hi Ken,

Haven't read the motor oil Bible but I'm sure I've read excerpts of it. Ever since my motorcycling days I've tried to do good research and run good oil in my vehicles. I was running Mobil Extended in our other vehicles (an Odyssey and a Toyota pickup) but after researching some other synthetics, including Amsoil, I'm now running RLI's bio-synthetic. I was researching extended oil change intervals and was thinking about Mobil 1 or Amsoil when I came across Bob is the oil guy and a thread on RLI's oils. They're a bio-synthetic that has some really amazing properties. I'm also using Amsoil's Ea oil filters.
dave, i think that the RLI product is very interesting. notice any improvement in mileage or power? i looked at the storefront and i can't find the 5w20, are you buying the oil in large quantities or can you get it in quarts? also, i looked at the amsoil site, it appears they do not officially recommend an oil filter for the fit. would you mind sharing the part number?
btw, are you using the stock air filter?

thanks for the recommendation, btw. i plan on using the oil as an extended drain oil, except in the event that i put a track day on the oil. your thoughts?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by kennef
dave, i think that the RLI product is very interesting. notice any improvement in mileage or power? i looked at the storefront and i can't find the 5w20, are you buying the oil in large quantities or can you get it in quarts? also, i looked at the amsoil site, it appears they do not officially recommend an oil filter for the fit. would you mind sharing the part number?

thanks for the recommendation, btw. i plan on using the oil as an extended drain oil, except in the event that i put a track day on the oil. your thoughts?
Amsoil Ea013 is the filter number. Extended drain interval except for track is a good plan, even though you weren't writing to me.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Amsoil Ea013 is the filter number. Extended drain interval except for track is a good plan, even though you weren't writing to me.
I'm running an Ea020 just because of the extra filter volume -- and because our Odyssey takes the Ea020.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef

I did see a slight increase in gas mileage but I always see a slight increase after an oil change -- historically speaking. I have noticed the oil is looking really clean after 2k miles -- but the fit is still really new.

I purchased three gallons to get a break on the price. Here's the link to information on the 5w20 and here a link to the pricing.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
I did see a slight increase in gas mileage but I always see a slight increase after an oil change -- historically speaking. I have noticed the oil is looking really clean after 2k miles -- but the fit is still really new.

I purchased three gallons to get a break on the price. Here's the link to information on the 5w20 and here a link to the pricing.
what do you think about running it as an extended oil?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Every 5k I'm going to have an oil analysis done and add one quart of make-up oil to refresh the additive package. I'll do a complete oil and filter change @ 20k, depending on the oil analysis trends.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Every 5k I'm going to have an oil analysis done and add one quart of make-up oil to refresh the additive package. I'll do a complete oil and filter change @ 20k, depending on the oil analysis trends.
that is a serious reduction in the amount of oil consumed as compared to the usual 3.8qt/5000miles. i like your thinking. out of curiosity, how did you break-in your motor?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Ken,

Regarding the break-in, I kept the revs low (below 4000) for 500 miles and then drove it normally for the first 1000 miles, trying to vary the rpms but staying away from redline and WOT.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation oil and changes

I am now to Honda ownership but have had my share or cars over the last 30 years of driving. I have also done my share of oil analysis research. I was a big proponent of Red Line Oil, and synthetic oil in general. But after my experience with cars and watching friends drive Honda's over the last 30 years, none of them babied their oil changes, none of them EVER had any oil related issue what so ever. Look for yourself, who do you know that has an oil related engine issue?

This leads me to conclude that Honda's are happy on conventional oil and 7,500 miles oil changes, period. I would feel totally comfortable going 10,000 miles on synthetic oil. I would go 15-20,000 miles on my other cars using Red Line. Most of them had 265,000 miles or more when I got rid of them. None of which had any oil related isssues. In fact, their engines were the best running part of the cars.

Today, oil technology has greatly improved to keep pace with overall engine/auto technology. If you use any of the latest generation oils with the latest recommended ratings (SJ, SF etc) you will be fine going to the recommended oil change intervals by the manufactures. In Honda's case, 7,500 miles for non-maintenance minder vehicles, or what ever the maintenance minder equipped vehicles tell you.

I have two Honda's now, one each. An 05' Pilot (non) and an 08' Fit (equipped) maintence minder. I will let the dealer change the oil for the first four oil changes, since it is free. Then I will change my own oil WITH THE CHEAPEST WALMART GENERIC BRAND RATED 5W-30 OIL I CAN FIND, at 7,500 miles for the Pilot and what ever the maintenance minder tells me for the Fit. I have complete confidence I will have no oil related issues with either of these engines what so ever. According to my owners manuals, Honda also only changes to oil filter every 15,000 miles. NOT every oil change.

I challange anyone to prove me wrong on the need to change your oil sooner. With the exception of those who truely meet the defination of "severe duty". Frequent 5 miles or less trips, heavy towing, severe dusty conditions. Or the need to use full synthetic oils. Though I may, may use Walmarts generic full synthetic oil. It can be bought for about $12 for a 5 quart jug. Again, their oils carry the latest ratings. I even believe that Shell is the maker of them. Time to change our "old school" thinking about changing our oils.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by rocksnap
According to my owners manuals, Honda also only changes to oil filter every 15,000 miles. NOT every oil change

I have to disagree with this part, I was a dealership service tech for a period of time, and we always recommend to change the filter with every service. By not doing so you are leaving dirty used oil and the potential to leave hazardous material in the oil filter.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
One article I recently read said that the biggest source of contaminants in an engine came from OUTSIDE the engine when the filter was changed. This was based on results of testing done by a tractor company (I forget which one), but the oil in a tractor gets changed just like any other engine. If you're not squeaky clean when removing the old filter, you can get a huge (relatively, in this context) amount of crud in to the engine. On a new fuel injected engine with this level of control, I don't think a new filter on every change is a necessity at all. That said, if you REALLY DO take care to keep things surgically clean, it's cheap insurance.

HF

Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
oil filter changing

The Honda owners manual says to only change the oil filter every other oil change/15,000 miles...

Originally Posted by yeamans17
I have to disagree with this part, I was a dealership service tech for a period of time, and we always recommend to change the filter with every service. By not doing so you are leaving dirty used oil and the potential to leave hazardous material in the oil filter.
Obviously you can disagree, no fight with me here. I am mearly stating what is in the owners manual. This is what THEY are saying. Having said that, I would think that the Honda engine engineers would have done their homework on this. The minor amount of oil left behind in the oil filter is really minor. Again, we are old school on oil issues. I am trying to think on a more scientific level, not an emotional level.

But think about it. How much "crud" do you think the oil filter is actually trapping? I bet you a years pay check that it is not much. That would lead me to believe that an every other oil change with the filter is fine. At least I would hope that their is not a lot of dirt running around in our engines. If their was they would not last like they do.....

I don't have the exact figure in front of me but tractor trailers put on a whole lot of miles on their oil before they change it. Something upwards of 35,000 miles minimum. I have read that an Amsoil synthetic tractor rig went 409,000 miles BEFORE the oil was changed. The engine was torn down just to look at it. All was in acceptable wear limits and could have been put back together as is. Do a google search on tractor trailer oil change interval as I did.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
With 40 or 50 quarts of oil in the pan, it's no mystery that the big semis can get 25-50K miles on an oil change, depending on use. I don't know what the filter change interval is, but if the filter elements are also 10x the size of a Fit's filter, no mystery there either.

HF

Old 03-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Banned
Think there is no crud in your filter?? This is after the second change at only 5,000km or about 3,000 miles. And this is what doesn't get trapped by the filter. Don't be an el cheapo filters are cheap insurnace and cost you a couple of bucks and your changing the oil anyway. Changing the oil and not the filter is like taking a bath after someone else just got out of the tub.

Quick Reply: First oil change & oil analysis