Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Getting the factory wax off new Fit glass

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 AM
Getting the factory wax off new Fit glass

Have searched re the below and don't see solid tips (other than pop), so...

Besides clay, what do you all suggest to clean the exterior wax off my '08 BBP, MT FIT' glass? (Coca-Cola excluded.)

Have tried (all in a plate-sized circle) Windex, Dawn, Rain-X Glass cleaner. They don't work, just smudge it up.

I know clay can do it, but friends who sell auto glass aren't really keen about clay on OEM Honda glass.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:40 AM
Have you tired Stoner's Invisible Glass or Simple Green? Using a microfiber cloth is good too.

or

Last edited by eni9ma; 12-02-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i'm not sure what you mean by factory wax, but you can use a razor on your glass to remove sap and other stuff like stickers on the interior. just hold the razor as close to parallel with the glass as you can and slide away, but don't cut yourself or the car's paint. i don't know if this helps, sorry.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Banned
Honda glass is no different than other manufacturers. Think about it for a moment if it doesn't harm the very soft paint on the Fit/Jazz how in the world would it do anything to much harder glass. I have clay bared all my window glass and headlight covers every time I have washed my car for the past two years (once a week) with ZERO PROBLEMS.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks all for the really quickreplies!

eninma...
SG yes. No luck. Will try Stoners if I can find it around here. Thanks! If not, maybe GooGone is the next attempt. Or consulting an auto glass repair shop is probably a good next step, too.

Drdoom...
Factory window wax is the protective whatever that's applied before cars are craned onto sea-going car-carriers. Not necessarily the same stuff is used by each mfr. for ocean-going transport. The good stuff will bead under water hosing for a pretty long time which would be great if it didn't also attract gunk plus smear relatively easily. You've got to get it all off before Rain-X, Rejex, etc. will work right on windows. FWIW, I wonder if it contributes to the wiper blade stuttering ("farting") issue.

Tnx re the razor suggestion. I do use that for buglies, but don't want to have to tackle all the real-estate of the windows with even my longer straight razor.

claymore...
Interesting suggestions. Logically one would think that if no harm to paint, then OK with glass. But I have family members who make auto glass at PPG and they say no clay. They also claim that not all glass is the same--that the calendering (final finish) process of the glass surface is supposedly not always the same between glass makers.

But, if your claying doesn't ding the light covers,that's a better recommendation, Thanks! Will try the clay if necessary. It's reassuring to know you've done that for 2 years.

Again thanks all for the quick assist.

Last edited by FitBull; 12-02-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
easy... rubbing alcohol. do a 70:30 mix (or get a pre-mix) and just
wipe on the glass.

works better than dawn dish soap.