Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Maintenance Minder sequence so far

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I've never replaced the crush washer but I anneal it with a propane torch when I remember to.. It must work, no leaks after 7 oil changes.
Congratulations. You save 3 cents every time you do that (and maybe risk an oil leak that could lead to engine failure).

Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, $.21 saved has got to be a good thing... If I knew where to get copper washers for $.03 I'd buy 10 0f them and never have to worry about a leak unless I forget to tighten the oil cap again like I did last oil change.. A new cap is $14.00..

Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I've never replaced the crush washer but I anneal it with a propane torch when I remember to.. It must work, no leaks after 7 oil changes.
This is the first car I've owned where I've paid attention to them, or even realized it's a crush washer. Honda will give them to you if you buy their oil filters. I don't even want to think about what I've done to oil pan drain plugs over the years. Never dumped a crank of oil though.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
This is the first car I've owned where I've paid attention to them, or even realized it's a crush washer. Honda will give them to you if you buy their oil filters. I don't even want to think about what I've done to oil pan drain plugs over the years. Never dumped a crank of oil though.
I would have thought you would have changed the copper washer when you changed the oil on your old air cooled VW.. The oil change kits for them had 2 gaskets, a drain plug washer and I may be mistaken but I think they also included the little washers for the plate that the drain plug fit in.

Old 07-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Jeeze - make an old man think... yea there was a plug washer. I vaguely remember it getting replaced by something I had in the bag. Might even used a fiber washer, I really can't remember. I do remember pulling the plate and replacing those gaskets but mot more than once. The muffler was more of a problem on mine. Loved those beetles. Had a 67 and a 69...

Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey do you round about when maintenance codes 3, 4, and 5 popped up?? Putting a great deal of miles on our Fit and just wanted to be prepared when to bring it in for service promptly. I change my own oil and filters, but I plan to leave the coolant, valve adjustments, and transmission fluid to my dealer.

Also, to throw in my $0.02 on the topic of whether or not to change the oil filter with each oil change, a friend once conveyed the message to me, to listen to what the engineers at the car manufacturer have determined to be the best course of action, as they're likely more knowledgable about the car they built than you are. That friend is Irv Gordon, look him up

Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Look here: MM System

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
fenixfire077 Welcome to the freakworld! Search around, lot's going on here.

I just took another look at your post and realized I might have missed the point... Irv Gorden the 2.8 million mile man, good guy to know.

I believe in following the manufacturer's lead in servicing a car, though I've often strayed. These extended oil change cycles are something to get used to and I've accepted the technology. Not expecting a Guinness record, but that would be sweet.

Honda's MM system has put the 'mileage' factor in the background and into a computer - works for me, but old school tells me a printed service schedule would be more direct and reassuring.
In Europe it's published [Maintenance Schedule] and probably is in the US, just not at the consumer level.

My dealer has changed the filter each oil change - 2 so far - and I plan on doing the same now that I'll be doing them.

K_C_

Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I believe in following the manufacturer's lead in servicing a car, though I've often strayed. These extended oil change cycles are something to get used to and I've accepted the technology. Not expecting a Guinness record, but that would be sweet.

Honda's MM system has put the 'mileage' factor in the background and into a computer - works for me, but old school tells me a printed service schedule would be more direct and reassuring.
K_C_
I'm trying KC. Hard habit to break my 5k mindset but I'm keeping an eye on the MM. I'm past the 5k interval now and the MM is showing 30%. Not comfy straying too far though, maybe 7.5k max, we'll see.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
HA Give in to it Subie - life is good.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try to control the panic (twitch) attacks...

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
When does 3 come up? I'm at 77000 kms (47000 miles) and am getting really nervous about my transmission fluid (MT)

Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Unforgiven
When does 3 come up? I'm at 77000 kms (47000 miles) and am getting really nervous about my transmission fluid (MT)

I don't know. The MM never did much for me. I kind of ignore it.

Here's the good news: Changing your MT fluid is not that hard. I try to do mine every 5k mi., but that is 'cause I'm insane. 10k mi. intervals would be more than safe, and the result is a slicky slick gearbox.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced the drain plug with a fumoto valve. Works like a charm! I have 89k miles and do my oil every 7k miles. The valve is safe, quick, I don't get oil all over my hands anymore, and I don't have to worry about dropping the drain bolt into the oil container. I highly recommend this valve!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kinosh
I replaced the drain plug with a fumoto valve. Works like a charm! I have 89k miles and do my oil every 7k miles. The valve is safe, quick, I don't get oil all over my hands anymore, and I don't have to worry about dropping the drain bolt into the oil container. I highly recommend this valve!
I heard of those things awhile back.... I'll be installing a Beatrush panel that is in transit and a fumoto valve would be nice to have with it... Where can I order one?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
I heard of those things awhile back.... I'll be installing a Beatrush panel that is in transit and a fumoto valve would be nice to have with it... Where can I order one?
qwikvalve.com and amazon.com has them. I got the F-106 regular type (without the nipple). The nipple type is good if you want to attach a hose to it.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you Kinosh...

Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the valve kinosh. Did you have to get the valve adapter, or did it close fine without it?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
No adapter needed. You just need to make sure the valve fits your vehicle. At qwikvalve.com, you can specify the make, model, and year, then their database spits out the proper valve.

Once you have the valve, remove the drain bolt, screw in the valve, and you're done! Easy-peezy, JA-pan-easy.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Hello,

I have a 2007 Fit with 68K miles and the last service I did was B13. Based on this list that would mean my next service should be A14, but it is only A1, has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
Josh

Quick Reply: Maintenance Minder sequence so far