Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Maintenance Minder sequence so far

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrjoshm
Hello,

I have a 2007 Fit with 68K miles and the last service I did was B13. Based on this list that would mean my next service should be A14, but it is only A1, has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
Josh
No. B13 are three separate services, B, 1, and 3.

A = Replace oil (every 7,500 miles)
B = Replace oil, check brakes, tie-rod, gearbox, suspension, boots, fluids, exhaust, fuel lines (every 15k miles)

1 = Rotate tires, check pressure (every 7,500 miles)
2 = Replace air filter, cabin filter, inspect drive belt (every 30k miles)
3 = Replace transmission fluid (45k, then every 30k miles)
4 = Replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance (105k miles)
5 = Replace coolant (120k, then every 60k miles)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think A 1 on the MM is set for 7.5k mi., just approximations based on variables of car usage, engine operation, etc. But yes, based on old school intervals, like my log book, before the MM and for cars without them, between 5k and 7.5k was/still is my mark on my other cars. Just my take.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
I don't think A 1 on the MM is set for 7.5k mi., just approximations based on variables of car usage, engine operation, etc. But yes, based on old school intervals, like my log book, before the MM and for cars without them, between 5k and 7.5k was/still is my mark on my other cars. Just my take.
I agree. I should have prefaced my mileage estimates with "these are estimates based on current and previous ownership of Honda vehicles." I'm old-school where I like to do my maintenance based on mileage and not these stupid letters and numbers. Drives me crazy!

I have 112k miles and the MM appears to closely match the mileage of my previous 1992 Civic.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by kinosh
No. B13 are three separate services, B, 1, and 3.

A = Replace oil (every 7,500 miles)
B = Replace oil, check brakes, tie-rod, gearbox, suspension, boots, fluids, exhaust, fuel lines (every 15k miles)

1 = Rotate tires, check pressure (every 7,500 miles)
2 = Replace air filter, cabin filter, inspect drive belt (every 30k miles)
3 = Replace transmission fluid (45k, then every 30k miles)
4 = Replace spark plugs, inspect valve clearance (105k miles)
5 = Replace coolant (120k, then every 60k miles)
I understand that service B 1 3 are three separate things that need to happen, that wasn't my question. According to the first post there is a sequence that the MM follows, so why would my MM leave off service 4 from part of the sequence and had any one else has their sequence differ from the original post?

Last edited by mrjoshm; 01-23-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrjoshm
I understand that service B 1 3 are three separate things that need to happen, that wasn't my question. According to the first post there is a sequence that the MM follows, so why would my MM leave off service 4 from part of the sequence and had any one else has their sequence differ from the original post?
B13 shows up at 45k miles. A1 at every 7,500 miles, which is why it showed up after B13. You have to wait until 105k miles for 4. (All mileage numbers are approximations)

Old 01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kinosh
I agree. I should have prefaced my mileage estimates with "these are estimates based on current and previous ownership of Honda vehicles." I'm old-school where I like to do my maintenance based on mileage and not these stupid letters and numbers. Drives me crazy!

I have 112k miles and the MM appears to closely match the mileage of my previous 1992 Civic.
Say no more... I went through the same dilemma when I first got the Fit and monitored it closely. But so far, been pretty close so I've transitioned to the MM indicator. I still double-check though... Old school habits.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
4 dropped off

I posted this elsewhere as a new thread before I discovered this one, but my service minder came on a few days ago and read A124, but since yesterday it only reads A12. Has anyone ever seen this? Any thoughts on why the 4 would drop off?

(I'm under 100k yet, so by the estimates posted it seems like 4 would be on my next service or the one after, so it's feasible that A12 is the right service code for my current mileage, but I'm still a bit baffled.)

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 PM
At 11,000 I have changed mine 5 times. I use 5W-30 not 20W. I go to walmart and buy generic API SN/SM grade. Fram oil filters and the "generic" oil meet or exceed ALL new car warranty requirements. Changing with more frequency beats pricey synthetic hands down. "Manufacturer recommended oil" Just a recommendation to satisfy the government mileage standards. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Roadman
At 11,000 I have changed mine 5 times. I use 5W-30 not 20W. I go to walmart and buy generic API SN/SM grade. Fram oil filters and the "generic" oil meet or exceed ALL new car warranty requirements. Changing with more frequency beats pricey synthetic hands down. "Manufacturer recommended oil" Just a recommendation to satisfy the government mileage standards. Just my 2 cents.
So you bought a car from people you thought were too stupid to know what oil goes in it?

Old 03-10-2015, 05:27 PM
No,I bought a car that has recommendations put on it by Smart engineers constrained by unelected officials in the EPA appointed by politicians. Some people just tend to insinuate insults rather than truly research API standards.
Ever try doing your own thinking?Probably a bad idea at this point.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I'm trusting the MM on intervals, but it seems kind of silly not to change the filter every oil change, it amounts to less than $200 over the lifetime of the car. Plus, the filter holds oil, so leaving that oil in the filter is like changing only most of the oil instead of almost all of it. Which is leaving some oil in for twice as long (and some, a small fraction, for three times as long, etc.)

But then maybe Honda has cut open a lot of filters after 14,000 miles and they look fine.
My boss at work was an engineer at GM for a while and he changes his filter every other oil change on his Accord and explained to me that as the newer filters begin to get dirty they actually become more efficient because the dirt helps catch more dirt as it ages up until a certain point before becoming too dirty to be effective so that's why they have you leave it on longer these days.

I don't know if there's any data on this anywhere to back that up...