Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

My Solution To Cargo Cover & Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
My Solution To Cargo Cover & Bike Rack

After many weeks of planning and constructing I came up with a solution to a cargo cover and an in-car bike rack. I didn't take any pictures while I was making it because I didn't think anyone would have the same two problems as I did. Also, I was rushing through my winter break trying to finish it.
I had this concept in my head for about a year now, but I never really got down to working out the details. Thanks to a few people on this forum, I combined a few ideas:
zonianjohn made his Custom Rear Deck out of wood
thejroisgo made an In Car Single Bike Rack, which had railings to guide the back wheel. There were also pieces of flat bar to stablize the structure.
lexfit made a Homemade Internal Bike Rack by screwing the fork mount to a piece of wood.

The objectives of this project was to obviously kill two birds with one stone. Also, I wanted to be able to put up one seat in the back so I could transport three people, including myself, in the car. Since I already have a hitch mount that fits my 2-bike car rack, I wanted the ability to transport 3 bikes and 3 people. Overall this project cost around 40 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than buying the thing separately.
Note: Some of you could probably be able to construct the same thing at a cheaper cost. This was my first major DIY with limited knowledge of tools and wood working. Hence, it may look rough around the edges. The thing looks simple enough, but I spent A LOT of time planning and troubleshooting.

I used a wood 12x1x48 board (Lowes), shaped it, attached 2x1x48 wood bars (Lowes), and covered it with fleece material (Walmart). The good thing about the fleece material is that it hides tears or extra holes that I may have put in it. As you can see, the whole thing rides a little high.

I included a foam piece wrapped in the same fleece to cover up the remaining area between the board and the back of the hatch. I embedded a piece of wood inside the foam for a mounting point for the hinge. I also embedded a plastic rod in the foam to give it structure. I then zip-tied it all together, covered it with fleece, and hot glued gunned the seams. The foam piece is attached with the hinge so I can flip up the foam for easy access to stuff and to also flip it back down, from inside the car, after the hatch is closed. The foam rests on the ledge below the hatch window.

Both sides of the board are secured snuggly into the notches in the car. I will explain the dowel and the hook in the next picture.

This is a picture of the entire thing flipped over. The dowel serves two purposes: it secures the extender from rotating, and it also secures the board which can be seen in the next picture. I put eyelets into the board so the hooks can be tightened down on them, which could be seen in the previous picture. The extender is used to lengthen the wooden track of the back wheel since it's not long enough. I bent a few metal brackets I got from Lowes to form the v-shape and to secure the track to the board. I bought a fork mount and screwed it on the board. The reason why I used foam for the flap is because I wanted something that could be pliable enough to not permanently deform if I threw my bike stuff on top of it. I basically screwed the fleece in place. On curved edges of the board, I wrapped the fleece around some weather stripping and screwed it in place.

The hooks that I mentioned earlier hook into the cargo hooks in the car. I screwed two small blocks of wood into the dowel to keep the board from sliding side to side or rocking. The dowel is then clamped down on top of the board using the wingnuts.

You can see the metal brackets and the extender here. The brackets on the extender slide underneath two wooden blocks, one on each side. The entire extender is then secured using a picture frame hanger that slides and hooks into the side of the extender. You can't see it here, but there is also a small dowel that I glued to the bottom of the extender that fits into a small groove where the two pieces of wood paneling meet. This dowel slides under the longer, fixed wood track and prevents the extender from tipping on the fulcrum created by the metal, support bracket.

This is my sweeeeet bike. As you can see the back wheel rests on top of the extender. You can see the metal picture hanger better from this angle.

The front wheel obviously has to be taken off. The rear seat on the passenger side can easily flip up.

The back tire stick out a bit far, but I have my bike in FR mode which means that the wheelbase is stretched a few inches. I also have bar ends, so I need to push the bike back to prevent the bar ends from hitting the window.

If you guys want more pictures or have more questions, feel free to drop a note.

Last edited by cycoxtr; 01-23-2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Wow that is really cool! I love the fact that you made it yourself and it has 2 functions! Excellent mod! Keep us up to date on further revisions or tweaks!

+repped!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
you wouldn't happen to have plans for this would you... it seems so amazingly usefull!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Even though I have absolutely no use for this even with a bike,
I love it!!! Very slick...make me wish I needed to do something like this
....and one rep to you....

it looks fairly secure too...yes,no? I like that good job....*golf clap*

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-23-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Because the "edit" button is one of the finer things in life...*this clicks for you*
Old 01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ASquared150
you wouldn't happen to have plans for this would you... it seems so amazingly usefull!
I can tell you how I did it, and offer measurements if you want. Just tell me what you need.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
wow ...very nice for homemade..look good

Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cycoxtr
I can tell you how I did it, and offer measurements if you want. Just tell me what you need.
thanks, i've got to remember to ask you about it when it gets warmer though, because it's way too cold here in chicago to build anything/install it in the car right now.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cycoxtr

I am in the middle of making a cargo cover, too (without the bike holder, though...that's great idea, BTW). I used a thinner board from Home Depot (I call the stuff masonite...not sure if that is the correct name). It is about 1/8" thick. Very smooth on one side, with a slightly rough surface on the other side. I'll eventually cover it with fabric, though.

I've got mine cut to fit (used some corrugated cardboard as a model, then used the cardboard as a template to cut the masonite).

Mine will require some stiffening.

My main question is: How is yours attached to the car?

I do not have any really great ideas on how to do this well. I was thinking of using a 1" X 3" board across the bottom of mine to stiffen the masonite, then maybe cutting the ends to fit in the rectangular cutouts where the Honda cargo cover fits (but this method won't hold my cover in place very well). Maybe a narrow, flexible dowel to fit in where the rear (window shade) part of the Honda cargo cover attaches?

I want my cover to fit firmly, because I don't want it to rattle around while I'm driving.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john trials
I am in the middle of making a cargo cover, too (without the bike holder, though...that's great idea, BTW). I used a thinner board from Home Depot (I call the stuff masonite...not sure if that is the correct name). It is about 1/8" thick. Very smooth on one side, with a slightly rough surface on the other side. I'll eventually cover it with fabric, though.

I've got mine cut to fit (used some corrugated cardboard as a model, then used the cardboard as a template to cut the masonite).

Mine will require some stiffening.

My main question is: How is yours attached to the car?

I do not have any really great ideas on how to do this well. I was thinking of using a 1" X 3" board across the bottom of mine to stiffen the masonite, then maybe cutting the ends to fit in the rectangular cutouts where the Honda cargo cover fits (but this method won't hold my cover in place very well). Maybe a narrow, flexible dowel to fit in where the rear (window shade) part of the Honda cargo cover attaches?

I want my cover to fit firmly, because I don't want it to rattle around while I'm driving.
Yeah, that's basically what I did , but I used the same 1"X2" board on each side. I drilled the boards into the sides of the larger board instead of underneath it. It all depends on how wide your larger board is. I then cut material away on the edges to fit in the small slots near the hatch. I think the guy that made the custom cargo deck used dowel. You can use dowel too, but I chose to buy something larger so I could shape it to fit tightly. I used a Dremel to do it. Just make sure you leave enough space for the thickness of the fabric. If you need any pictures, I can take some more for you. Here's a closer picture of how it hangs into the notches near the seat. There's a clear gap there, but the other board near the hatch fits tightly into those notches. You can also see the heads of the screws that I used to screw the edge board into the side of the larger board. Since You only have 1/8" to work with then you might have to screw underneath the masonite.

Last edited by cycoxtr; 01-25-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
as long as there is no dog or duck crap on the tire, looks good!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
as long as there is no dog or duck crap on the tire, looks good!
Yeah, I was thinking of putting a plastic liner on the track, but I've already made it too complicated. I was also getting impatient.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
haha, this is beautiful, two in one...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Cycoxtr, I just found this. This is truly impressive!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I just saw this as well. Nice job! Rep added!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
people in back seat + homemade wood cargo cover + getting rear-ended = rear passenger decapitation?

Old 09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Better late than never! I just noticed this thread since it came to the top!

Props to cycoxtr for initiative, creativity and execution! + rep!
I hope you used a good adhesive since summer heat might unravel it.

Just a suggestion for future builds! Since weight is an issue with our small displacement engine, check locally for airplane interior outfitters in your area!
They are using corrugated boards that are so stiff yet so lightweight! You can choose from various thicknesses too! Also check for local carbon fiber and/or composite material distributors. They have the same material covered on one or both sides in carbon or other composites.
While I lived in Los Angeles I knew a guy who owned an airplane interior outfitting business. Amazing stuff! One person can lift entire business jet interior side cabinets with ease!

Composites distributors link:
Composite Material Supplier Links

Ivan

Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM
building plans for DIY bike mount inside car

Hey, would you be able to send building plans, materials, details on how you constructed this bike mount / cargo cover? I like it and would want to build one too...

Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
how are u guys able to fit your DH bikes in fits??

there is no way i could ever get mine to fit in my car

anyone with a double crown fork in the car??