Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Question for a honda tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Question for a honda tech

Hey i work for Infiniti/Nissan and we do not clean out throttle bodies over here, supposedly because the cleaner (BG products throttle body cleaner) will damage the electronic throttle body

now i have always cleaned my throttle bodys out on my other cars, which have all been regular mechanical throttle bodys,

now the Fit is electronic, and i wanted to know if you guys clean out the TB's during your services 60k or whatever,

I dont see how this would hurt an electronic body, unless when you open the butterfly by hand to clean it, that somehow hurts the electronics/motor

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Banned
Maybe if you sprayed the cleaner all over the DBW housing it could damage it but INSIDE the TB there is nothing electronic to damage. The rumors started about the O-2 sensor getting damaged by spray cleaners but that's hard to believe since the spray mixes with the incoming A/F mixture and passes through the combustion process turning it into spent exhaust.

The only other sensor in the intake tract after the TB is the Map sensor and that just measures pressure so no damage there.

I do mine while running with a "helper" in the drivers seat. Give it a spray inside the TB and when the engine starts to die instruct your helper to goose it a bit until it smooths out. A couple of times gets mine nice and clean.

No problems on mine after 5 cleanings ( cleaned at every oil change) using regular old carb cleaner in a spray can. If they have it look around for sensor safe versions for your piece of mind.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
CRC chemicals have routinely offered good sprays to clean MAF systems. I suggest you contact them for specifc advice on a Fit.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 PM
answer to your ?

I've never cleaned the inside of any electronic tb. At the delearship I work at we do a decarbonization through the intake track but i hook it up on a vac. line going into the runners.

I believe you shouldnt clean any electronic tb if you keep up your maintenance.

Whenever I pull them apart they look pretty clean... I never got any real problems. I hope this answers your ? if not spray and find out?!