Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help with Engine Sputtering..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Help with Engine Sputtering..

Hello,

I'm new here, but hope someone can help.

For the past few weeks, the engine seems to be sputtering at lower RPMs, especially when idle in traffic. However, it's also noticeable sometimes when highway driving.

I've replaced the air filter, verified the coolant, transmission fluid, etc is topped up, and so forth.

It *seems* worse when the A/C is on, but that's just an observation. It also seems worse when it's hot outside.

I took it to Honda and they said they didn't notice it at all (it was rainy and cold that day..), but not 10 minutes after leaving the lot it started up again.

I am taking it back next week, but was wondering if anyone had some good ideas here as to what it could be.

I thought maybe a bad plug, but the sputtering is random, and not cyclical.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Car details:

2007 Honda Fit LX
Automatic
41,000 kms

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by sonician
Hello,

I'm new here, but hope someone can help.

For the past few weeks, the engine seems to be sputtering at lower RPMs, especially when idle in traffic. However, it's also noticeable sometimes when highway driving.

I've replaced the air filter, verified the coolant, transmission fluid, etc is topped up, and so forth.

It *seems* worse when the A/C is on, but that's just an observation. It also seems worse when it's hot outside.

I took it to Honda and they said they didn't notice it at all (it was rainy and cold that day..), but not 10 minutes after leaving the lot it started up again.

I am taking it back next week, but was wondering if anyone had some good ideas here as to what it could be.

I thought maybe a bad plug, but the sputtering is random, and not cyclical.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Car details:

2007 Honda Fit LX
Automatic
41,000 kms
Dirty/bad fuel filter is my guess, next would be a loose ground connection causing problems in ignition circuit.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Is the gas filter in a location where I can replace it?

What do they cost to purchase?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Banned
Is the gas filter in a location where I can replace it?

What do they cost to purchase?
Count on your dealer to become very stupid when your car has mysterious symptoms. "Gee, we can't find anything wrong!" Unfortunately for you, your fuel filter is inside the fuel tank. Fortunately for you, it is the first part you come to at the top of the tank, above the fuel sending unit, above the fuel pump. Unfortunately for you, you have to remove the tank from the car to get to any of the parts inside.

My diagnosis of the fuel pump being the cause of your engine stuttering is only a guess, but you have enough miles (km) on it for dirty/bad fuel to cause your problems by clogging up the filter. Your dealer could accurately diagnose the problem if they felt like doing the job properly.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks..

They took it out for a "couple quick spins" to see if they could notice the sputtering, but of course they didn't. I think they thought I was crazy.

I think the next time it's bad, I'm going to have to drive right to the dealer ship and ask the mto go for a quick spin with me, so they can see for themselves.

There's days when it feels like it's going to stall out any second... very frustrating.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned
Thanks..

They took it out for a "couple quick spins" to see if they could notice the sputtering, but of course they didn't. I think they thought I was crazy.

I think the next time it's bad, I'm going to have to drive right to the dealer ship and ask the mto go for a quick spin with me, so they can see for themselves.

There's days when it feels like it's going to stall out any second... very frustrating.
Other car makers (FORD) lost class action suits brought about by the survivors of drivers who died as a result of faulty ignition modules that caused Ranger trucks and Bronco II SUV's to stop dead in intersections and RR crossings. I hope that your engine stutter is not due to a similar stupid design problem, because I will suffer the same problem some day, as I did with my own Ford Bronco II. Good luck, and please let us know if and how your problem was solved.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
5 beers in tonight.. that's comforting news..

I'll let you know.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2008, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
hi

Just wondering if this problem was ever resolved.. I'm facing similar issue..

J

Old 09-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitFieFoeFum
Just wondering if this problem was ever resolved.. I'm facing similar issue..

J
No. The OP was crushed by a train when his Fit stopped dead on RR tracks.

Just kidding-------- He has not done us the favor of posting what, if any, the solution to the problem was.

Maybe my first sentence will get him to tell us.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
I've got my GD3 waiting at my local dealership waiting to go in first thing...

Here's how my problems developed

@ 65k miles I had a very rough idle which cleared up after a couple of minutes.

@ 75k miles I started to get a hesitation under load at EXACTLY 2.5k RPM in any gear.

@ 100k miles It started to hesitate under load at various RPMs. I changed plugs to Bosch Ir +4 and no change.

Now at 105k I have a CEL which shows as cylinder 3 and 4 misfire. The CEL comes and goes.

I'm pretty sure it's a coil pack failure. I just hope they aren't gonna tell me all four need to be replaced.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Joemango,
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms, only mine evolved about 30k earlier. I took mine in to Honda service and they pulled an ODB II code that suggested a "faulty VTEC solenoid. Further testing did confirm a bad solenoid. I am going to have a new one ordered tomorrow.
I didn't really appreciate the VTEC until I lost it!
-macbuddy-

PS-I am really PO'ed, these solenoids should have lasted way longer than a set of spark plugs!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
EDIT: I forgot to mention that at 90K it would stall when cold (5speed)

Got my car back. I'm $91 poorer (their diagnostic fee) and still have the problem. The tech had the car in the bay almost all day and couldn't figure out what to do except the "idle relearn procedure", which made the car run a LITTLE better but it still bucks when I accelerate.

The service advisor told me the guy took it out for a 9 mile drive but couldn't test it longer than that. He also said that an RPM sensor code showed a couple of times during testing so that may be part of the problem.

They never tried replacing the coil packs. Know why? NONE IN STOCK. I know this because I called their parts dept. a couple days ago to see how much they cost ($85 each).

When I took it to auto zone to get the CEL code read, it said cyl. 3&4 were misfiring. I'm gonna move a coil pack from 4 to 1 and see if it changes. If it does I'm just gonna get new packs. Screw the dealer. Simple troubleshooting seems to be missing from the auto tech curriculum these days.

I will be going back to the dealer to demand a refund, because not only did they not fix it, they couldn't even properly determine the problem!

Last edited by joemango; 04-27-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added content
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
it's the coil packs. I had # 1, 2 and 3 go bad on me. I replaced all of them and havn't had the problem since. OH btw get them from bernardiparts.com cuz they are $67 each.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
about the fuel filter when would be a good time to replace it?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
I have the problem and an looking into it I have 47000 on my '07. I had figured probably ignition problem; no fuel filter. Honda fuel filters have longevity. Thanks for the posts all!
BTW my problem comes in different ranges... the real prob is when I take off from a stop light, occasionally, and the car kind of misses and jerks. Not so much with the a/c off; it sure sounds like electrical and I will have to fork out the extra $$ to get it tested.

Last edited by docjim2; 05-04-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Called a Honda dealer... got real stupid right away! Obviously they do NOT want to fix a problem since it does not mean hi $$ profit. First thing I was asked was "the check engine light on"? If that was the case, I would have a partial answer wouldn't I? So, my only thing is that I take a day off and wait in a boring waiting room with no good magazines and get stiffed for $100.00 or more for "diagnostic services".
Ha! And this dealer has been sending me e-mails touting Fit for less than 13000! Let's see hmmmm... they want my business BUT these dealers do not seem to be interested in helping the customer. A little respect and caring go a long way.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
FYI: 1-800-999-1009.
for Honda customer service.
They can't wait (lol) to hear from you.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I called American Honda: ref the 1-800 no. in my last post. The gracious lady on the other end took all the information including VIN no. and put the issue in their database. You might want to follow up collectively. The more squeaky the wheel : you know what happens.
BTW I have had to replace two ignition (? I think) modules in my 2000 Accord.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Joemango,
I am experiencing the exact same symptoms, only mine evolved about 30k earlier. I took mine in to Honda service and they pulled an ODB II code that suggested a "faulty VTEC solenoid. Further testing did confirm a bad solenoid. I am going to have a new one ordered tomorrow.
I didn't really appreciate the VTEC until I lost it!
-macbuddy-

PS-I am really PO'ed, these solenoids should have lasted way longer than a set of spark plugs!
Dude: my owners manual says that the tune up is > 100000 miles?!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Since last post my son had a friend of his put the Fit on the machine: no codes. I had already bought a ScanGauge II with the same results. Whatever this gremlin may be will have to wait until someone else replaces the part that works! Ha!
I don't have the kind of money as some people do; with new cars it is so much more complicated. I could deal with distributers, spark plug wires, ignition timing, etc!
Oh to have my older cars back to work on! Pox on these computers.
Maybe I should pull out a plug or two and see if they can tell me something.

Quick Reply: Help with Engine Sputtering..