Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Well Seafoam has been around since the 40's, and I use it in all my carbs, so its cool with me.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
why would you seafoam such a new car?
Waste of money on such a low mileage engine.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nabisco
Waste of money on such a low mileage engine.
Seafoam foam is supposed to leave a slight residue that helps prevent future build up. Otherwise, why would you want to to wait for carbon to build up as opposed to preventing build up in the first place? I mean you don't change your oil only only when you start to get sludge do you?

Besides technically build up starts from day one, the more often you remove it the less of it there is. Also since the stuff is 100% petroleum it's made out of the same stuff as the gasoline, thus safe for the engine.

About the only negative comment I've ever heard about seafoam is if your seals are held together by carbon it will remove all the carbon. As a result, your seals will fall apart. But that's really a lack of proper maintenance, not a down side of seafoam. I love the stuff, typically have 2 or 3 bottle laying around, and 2 or 3 bottles of deep creek (aerosol seafoam)

Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Aperion
Seafoam foam is supposed to leave a slight residue that helps prevent future build up. Otherwise, why would you want to to wait for carbon to build up as opposed to preventing build up in the first place? I mean you don't change your oil only only when you start to get sludge do you?

Besides technically build up starts from day one, the more often you remove it the less of it there is. Also since the stuff is 100% petroleum it's made out of the same stuff as the gasoline, thus safe for the engine.

About the only negative comment I've ever heard about seafoam is if your seals are held together by carbon it will remove all the carbon. As a result, your seals will fall apart. But that's really a lack of proper maintenance, not a down side of seafoam. I love the stuff, typically have 2 or 3 bottle laying around, and 2 or 3 bottles of deep creek (aerosol seafoam)
That's right. If you have a high mileage car that has never had this done before, I wouldn't do it because the carbon is good at that point. It keeps the engine together & removing it will likely result in lost compression. From new or under 100K is a different story although I will say that I have never used it in this fashion.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
I do no use engine cleaning treatments like this. On an older car, where there may be carbon and sludge build up, it may break away large chunks of debris and lodge it where it could cause damage to the valvetrain. It isn't likely, but that risk is possible.
Some engines (like the NSX) run better as they age and build up carbon. The NSX actually has shown to gain a little horsepower over time.

Last edited by Tofuman; 02-13-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned
You all might be interested to know that the '09 Fit Service Manual has the very specific warning: "NEVER use solvent-based cleaners in the throttle body. It will flush away the bearing lubricants in the T/B axle area and the throttle body will stick. Unsafe conditions and severe engine damage may result".

I am quoting from memory, so the exact wording from Honda may differ slightly, but that that is the strong message. Again, this is info. for the '09 Fit. GD3's may not have this danger or the warning. I no longer have my '07 manual, otherwise I would look it up for completeness.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
You all might be interested to know that the '09 Fit Service Manual has the very specific warning: "NEVER use solvent-based cleaners in the throttle body. It will flush away the bearing lubricants in the T/B axle area and the throttle body will stick. Unsafe conditions and severe engine damage may result".

I am quoting from memory, so the exact wording from Honda may differ slightly, but that that is the strong message. Again, this is info. for the '09 Fit. GD3's may not have this danger or the warning. I no longer have my '07 manual, otherwise I would look it up for completeness.
good info. + rep

i will check my GD3 manual for the same info.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by manxman

*cough* injecting directly into the IM bypasses the TB. There maybe some blow by, but it won't mess with any bearings fam.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shora
First, thank you for the DIY and clear explanation/ pics. I love these type of threads where members take the time to share their know-how.

However, while I have heard about Seafoam for a while, I am not sure that the smoke that we see after it's use is really a result of the removal of carbon build up.

I think that white smoke is just the "Seafoam" being burned. I am pretty sure, that if one were to repeat the process over and over that they would get the same amount of "white smoke" after each use even though the their was no time for more "build-up" to occur.

Nevertheless, I keep an open mind to learning new things so thanks for the post!
I've done this for years on everything from B-Series motors to Mercedes engines. Although, I cannot prove the white smoke is a byproduct of Seafoam combustion, I can say the amount of smoke is always relative to age. For instance, I just did a treatment on my 80K mile '07 Fit. It got ~25mpg in the city beforehand (hence the treatment). It blew out a moderate, but not concerning, amount of smoke. My H23A Prelude had close to 200K at the time of the treatment; you could have sworn I did a burnout from what came out of the tale pipe. We're talking Subaru vape status where you cannot see the person in front of you. It was an awesome amount of smoke. Regardless, every time I do this treatment on a motor mileage, power, and responsiveness always improve. I've never had problems. The only motor I've lost was to a deer. Of course, your mileage may vary.