Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tailgate rubber seal

Old 04-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Question Tailgate rubber seal

Anybody out there had problems with water leaking into boot/trunk spare wheel well, I have a 2002 Jazz Sport, Euro spec. I suspect it is the tailgate rubber seal. I have seen something on a used car review site which says the tailgate has to be removed to fix the problem which seems extreme.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Someone that Posts too much
The rubber is easily damaged. Obviously if damaged it can allow water in. Would have thought just a fairly simple matter of replacing the rubber. A bit like replacing the rubber on the door of a fridge.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Thanks, logic would say just change the seal, but I've had the current seal off and checked it, it seems OK. I 've poured water in and around the tailgate no leaks. As soon as I have driven a short distance checked the sparewheel area there's water in it. I'll try a new seal though see what happens.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:39 AM
i would call a honda parts dealer
and ask him if there is a common problem, a part that needs replacing

Old 06-05-2006, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 92 Civic Hatch and 96 Civic sedan. Both had leaks in the body seams.

The roof seam under the black roof rail leaked on my 92 (and leaked into the rear/spare tire area, rusting out the fenders). On the sedan, water in the trunk/spare tire area was coming from a body seam right near the weatherstripping under the trunk door. Water was not getting around the weatherstripping, but went through a leak in the body seam, where the 'seam sealer' must have been applied incorrectly, or wore out.

Both my leaks were from above, when I was expecting the water to be coming from the wheel area (below) or around weatherstripping (which looked brand new).

Hopefully this helps you...check for body seams near your hatch. Cover them with duct tape, or similarly thin tape, and see if this helps. If there is a leak in a seam, cover it with silicone caulk.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Talking

Thanks John, you seem to have identifed the problem. I had already been to a local Honda dealer who confirmed that the tailgate would have to come off, panel joints resealed and new paint, a job costing £350-£400. I contacted Honda UK who rolled over straight away and paid for the job!. I don't think it's a problem they've completely sorted as I saw a 2005 Jaaz at this dealer with rust in the sparewheel well. You would think that if Honda new about the problem on older cars they would sort it on current models. Thanks anyway

Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if Honda does know about the problem on the older cars.

My 92 Civic hatchback had a large amount of rust around the fenders by the time I found the leak (I figured the rust was from the wheel wells, not the roof). I was luckier with my 96 Civic sedan...I found the water before rust began.

Both cars are well beyond their rust through warranty, so I never contacted Honda.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:35 AM
Question

My view is that the problem lies at the point of manufacture, not something that could be expected to develop as a result of wear and tear or misuse. That being the case have Honda not complied with the terms of a contract by building and marketing a product fit for its purpose?. If a car leaks in water as a result of flawed manufacturing then clearly Honda should repair the car irrespective of age.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Just a quick note. Although this is an older thread I figured I'd chime in. After 2 weeks of heavy rain, I thought I heard water "sloshing" around from the rear. Looked in the spare tire compartment, and noticed a good amount of water in there. I've inspected it for a couple of days now, and realized it's not comming from the seal on the tail gate, I think it's coming from underneath the bumper somehow. I guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer for service...

Old 01-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Known mfr fault from Honda, there is a dealer repair sheet on this one (which they wouldn't give me, only the picture).

The problem is probably cracked sealant underneath the rubber roof seal. About 15cms from the rear of the car.

They can supply the sealant, but press hard for a warranty fix. Read the T&Cs carefully.

Tony

Old 01-31-2009, 03:02 AM
see if its dirty or clean water first
clean- from rain or up top
dirty- from roadway
maybe its a missing body plug, like the one behind the bumper that has the rubber flap, or a taillight seal

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
My 2002 Jazz S also had water in the sparewheel area a couple of times. But all seams ok.