Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Skunk2 Honda Fit head porting DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Skunk2 Honda Fit head porting DIY

Hey everyone,

In an effort to further educate enthusiasts, Skunk2 has recently posted up another how-to video. Follow along as Skunk2 owner and founder Dave Hsu shows how to port the GD Fit’s cylinder head. Find out how much material to remove, where to remove it from, and what tools to use. Cylinder head porting has long been used as a method of increasing the volume of air that can be introduced into the cylinders. But the process is time consuming, tedious, and can often lead to undesirable results. Avoid the pitfalls, watch the video, and make more power.

See the video here: Skunk2 Racing: HONDA FIT CYLINDER HEAD PORTING

Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome. Thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Tagging...

Thanks for the video, too bad I do not have the guts to do this to my own motor.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slimjimx701x
Tagging...

Thanks for the video, too bad I do not have the guts to do this to my own motor.
I have ported a few motorcycle heads, believe me a removing a little bit of metal is a lot better than taking out too much.... There will have to be some second hand heads available and a stand by ride before I do it to my Fit.... I still have the die grinder that I did my old Harley's heads with 20 years ago, but it was very easy with big ports, valves, plenty of metal and lots of room.... You need to think more about flow velocity rather than volume, unless you are going to be driving at high revs and have a close ratio gear set.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oh sweet thanks for the link! i'm never gonna do this though haha.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
It kind of fun that KW said you couldn't port the head a while back and they are partners with Skunk 2

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
I would suppose that what Skunk is instructing as a porting job is really more of a light clean up job that wouldn't add that much of a power gain to an engine in relationship to the gains to be had with installing a super charger ..... Racers are a breed that will completely disassemble the engine of a brand new car in order to take every measure that is possible to gain an edge.... They will use all kinds of tricks that win will put them over the finish line first, or shave a fraction of a second off of a timed event. They can afford to spend the time and money and therefore mess up and start all over with new parts paid for by sponsors or customers purchasing their products.....Winning races is done by doing a whole lot of little things to your vehicle that you hope the other guy doesn't know about, sometimes going so far as to break the rules and in a lot cases, shorten the life of the vehicles engine and break parts....

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
SICKKK!!!! well see what happens to my spare motor =DDD

Old 05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Wow you guys rock! thanks!