Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Water In back footwell of Fit (Jazz)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
The glue you are speaking of is a ribbon of dum dum (no pund intended) and there should be a drain some were in the bottom of the doors. This is the 2nd time I have read about this same issue with the Fit. The window seal won't keep out 100% of the rain from the door cavity thats why the factory uses the plastic and ribbon calk behind the door pannel. The water is suppose to drain out of the door long before it reaches the top of the cavity lip, it seems as if the drain is clogged up?? To check open the door and look to see if there is a small oval hole for the water to exit from the cavity before the gasket.
I repaired a few cars that had rusted bottom edges and it was from clogged or trash slowing down the drain.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
We had this problem on our 07. Both front doors were leaking onto the front carpets!

Car is still under warranty so had the dealer look at it. Brought this topic in to give them a hint.

It took them two days to fix, but everything seems to be OK.

Funny, I had heard about this problem before (especially regards the rear carpet) so I was looking out for it, but it happened all of a sudden...

Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Wow,

This really seems like the problem I'm having with my '07 Fit too! But I just over-mileaged my Warranty. We took it to the dealer, they said the entire carpet from the front Driverside to the back, BOTH sides are completely soaked through!!! They had to take all of the carpets out, order new ones and take all the doors apart before they found a problem in the front door seal - I hope they have it right! Now, they are asking us for $800! So, what do y'all think of that! Oh, it makes me so angry. I have never had the seals removed!

Sandy

Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 AM
damn that sucks for everyone who has this problem. i have a 07 too, but for me luckily so far so good. mang i love the fit but all these little problems hold it back =[

Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vallerys
Wow,

This really seems like the problem I'm having with my '07 Fit too! But I just over-mileaged my Warranty. We took it to the dealer, they said the entire carpet from the front Driverside to the back, BOTH sides are completely soaked through!!! They had to take all of the carpets out, order new ones and take all the doors apart before they found a problem in the front door seal - I hope they have it right! Now, they are asking us for $800! So, what do y'all think of that! Oh, it makes me so angry. I have never had the seals removed!

Sandy
Have you called Honda Corporate (number in back of the owners manual) to see if they will assume some of the cost? Be polite but firm.

Unless you have mildew or a smell, I question the need to actually replace the carpets. They should dry out in time.

Get back to us with the outcome.

(Our dealer took three days to fix this because they needed to verify the source of the leak and the repair.)

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vallerys
Wow,

Sandy
Did you get an estimate before they did anything? They should have just shop vac'd it and sealed your doors up right. I have water in my back seats floor again b/c I went and installed sound deadening on my front doors and didn't re-duct the seals back in place (waiting on more deadener for my doors).

If it was so bad as to necessitate them taking it all out, that's not normal "wear and tear". Even if you are 5k miles over.

Call corporate....

Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Exclamation honda fit passenger back floorboard leaking water from somewhere

i believe i have the same issue. i haven't driven my fit in a while since i have been on maternity leave and really didn't notice my floor in the back of my fit until today. i'm not exagerrating but there was a puddle of water 1/2 foot on the bottom of the floor board!! The window was completely closed and nothing else was wet. My all-weather mats were wet underneath and the carpet was saturated on the middle hump as well. It rained for about a week and snowed alot recently. took it to the dealership and they believe it might be the seal in between the door frame. they are not sure and will have to do some tests before they can determine the cause.
also the dealership had to replace my entire carpet a couple of times due to unusual wear in the front. I am wondering if when they pulled the carpet and latch molding in the back did they break some sort of seal? I've had the car for a few years now and never had this problem until now. can anyone help? The water in the back has literaly left mold growing on my carpet. I cannot put my 3 month old in the car due to the mold now!! Does anyone know of a recall or an ongoing issue with the honda fits. this is a problem which can now cause health issues!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
there is a discussion...either on this thread or one similar...about what to do to treat the mold.

basically i believe it's like a super steam pressure type thing...if i recall correctly with bleach as the treatment.

use the search link above, it should show up. or an almighty forum godperson (or troll ) can point ya to it.

good luck though.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Exclamation door panel leaks

it's the inside door plastic seal. my dealership fixed the same issue with my car supposedly. we will see. i had about a half foot of water in my passenger side floorwell when i found out. i hadn't driven it for a while, when i got in my car i looked back and couldn't believe it. now i'm dealing with mold issues! I'm not sure how long i had this leak but the dealership told me it was the way the factory sealed the door. and that they should of sealed it correctly. i'm taking this complaint to a much higher authority. i have a newborn and cannot take the chance on mold in my car! Mold is a huge health concern! i can keep you updated if you like.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Yes i had the same problem in the begining when i bought my car.
One day after an heavy rain i open the passenger rear door and it look
like a pool, damn a new car.
I whent to my local dealer and even after 3 times they coldn´t solve the problem. Even them don´t no how to solve this.
So the last time they removed the rear door and seal it, and they applyed a special ink underneat the car for seal it , they say.
And at this days i don´t have no more problem.
2005 Jazz

Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by SUR-V
I have some good news, I discovered how the water got into the car!

Jazz GD3 – Hopefully this will fix your problem too. Even if your car hasn’t had any dents removed, the door lining may need re-gluing.

To those who r interested, this is what happened……

After taking the car apart and being completely baffled, I finally had the chance to put the car out in the rain on Sunday. I had to sit inside for like 15 mins watching the back door to discover where the water was coming from. After taking the door lining off last week, I was able to see clearly that the water was coming from the inside plastic lining. It was only a few drops, but over 45 minutes the water started to build up (see pic 5). To my surprise, whilst sitting in the car I saw a small drip come down from the driver’s door (see pic 3) ending up in the rear footwell. Basically the reason why it happened that day was a combination of 3 things.

1) What happened to me was an unusual event. For the few drops of water coming from the 2 doors to cause any issues (i.e start soaking the carpet) the car need to be parked on a hill (nose facing up) for at least 90 mins to even have a chance of the water touching the carpet. It has to be heavy rain for the fulltime. That day my car was parked out on a hill for 10 hours. It was the most rain Brisbane had had in 20 years!

2) The reason why the plastic lining is leaking is due to it being removed twice before to have a few dents fixed up on the door (not accident damage). If the glue around the bottom of the door starts getting minimal in that area (i.e. due to the lining being removed a few times) you will experience the same problem as I did.

3) The Jazz has a slight design fault. If the door seal thing (the white plastic) is never removed, it won’t be an issue. But if it is removed even once for a dent to be fixed, then the flaw will come out. The issue is that the interior door trim ends before touching the car body’s rubber (See pic 6). So if anything leaks in the door it comes into the interior, as in my case. What Honda should have done is made the interior trim go right down and finish where the rubber is (so it meets it). That way the water can escape out and not get trapped in the interior of the car. However, I’m not sure if doing this would cause other issues.

At least the fix should be relatively cheap. Just need to source some of the new Glue to make sure those white plastic things are well stuck to the doors.
Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else (the issue will only emerge when there is an extremely heavy, constant downpour). However if you see the same thing with your Jazz as in pic 2, then it is likely your car has the same issue as mine.

It pays for every Jazz owner to check all 4 doors to see if they have water pooling as in pic 2. If you do most likely you will one day have this same issue.

Front Door

Front Door

Front Door

Rear Door

Rear Door

Rear Door

I’m going to put an extra lining inside each door, to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I want to make it more water tight than Noah’s arch.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input!

Jazz GD3 or anyone else let me know if you need any further info – I’m happy to help!

I discovered some thing else since all these fits or defective the water was coming from the top corner of the door toward the end of the car then the water were keep coming down on the rubber and it looks like it comes from inside the door but once I took the panel off I seen that the water passing the rubber and and goes down I got the same prob on both doors

Old 05-31-2011, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
leak

i have the same problem too.
I noticed it when i vacuumed my car and suddenly water started dripping from the tube- i was shocked!!
Mine is an 07, and the rear doors have leaks on them.
I asked my brother to spray water while i was inside and after about half a minute, i saw the water flowing from the area below the speakers.
I was wondering why this had happened, but it was a bit of relief when i knew at least where the water was coming from, therefore i can point it out when i bring it to the dealer.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 AM
wow, this might be the most useful thread on this whole forum... i have the exact same problem.. now i know what to do.. tks alot.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
wow, this might be the most useful thread on this whole forum... i have the exact same problem.. now i know what to do.. tks alot.
Well, I've read this entire thread and I really don't see a clear solution. My son's 09 Fit has a leak going into the rear drivers side. I can't see how a plastic internal liner could prevent a leak...water entering inside the door itself should go out of the drain hole. I'm going to check to ensure that this hole is clear...and assuming that it is what other solution was offered on this thread? What am I not seeing?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
this is some serious design flaw. it was driving my crazy because i was looking in the wrong areas for leaks, but after reading this and checking my doors and i can even see the path the water was taking into my carpet.

can't believe honda hasn't recalled this.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Might want to check the spare tire as well. I've found 1 inch of standing water in the spare tire area after a hard rain.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

Water gets from here

And so from a luggage compartment in salon under feet of back passengers.

To solve a problem it is possible silicone hermetic.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
The rear hatch can be a possibility, but for me I watched the water drip in from both rear doors once the interior trim and underlying plastic was removed. It a serious design flaw...which places a large access hole just under the window glass. Any seal failure of the plastic sheeting results in a big leak.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
I read you thread too Spacecoast, very usefull information. I don't have any leaks in the hatch area luckily, nor is the spare tire boot wet. I will be attempting the fix today as it is a sunny day and can leave the windows open so it dries as well.

Quick Reply: Water In back footwell of Fit (Jazz)