Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Washing your FIT, products, techniques, answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Popeye
I agree 110%

Hey cvc2nr nice AP1
Thanks! It looks like you have a berlina too. Are you on s2ki?

Originally Posted by verily
I bought a nice microfiber mitt last night and some real car wash soap. Forgot the towel for drying, so I guess I'll be back at Target later to get that.

I may leave waxing up to the professionals. At 5'2", I can't really reach the roof.
Good job on getting the microfiber mit but if you want to get a waffle weave microfiber towel, I doubt you'll find it at Target.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
I have used baby shampoo before as well.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I use a good mit as well.

When you get to the waxing stage, check out www.zainostore.com. Once I Zaino it, I'll use their wash (the Z-7) as well. The only time you want to use dish soap (I use original Dawn) is to strip wax...car wash solution typically doesn't strip wax. The caveat there is that dish soap won't strip Zaino.

I started using Zaino when I had my S2000 and will never switch to anything else. Before you ask, yes, I have tried Zymol, Meguiars, Mothers, etc. Have tried them all. They are all good, but nothing is in the league with Zaino. The fact that it is easier to use than the rest is just a bonus. I haven't tried the ZFX yet...I just use the Z-1 and Z-2. One thorough base-coat of Z-1 and then several applications (and removals) of Z-2 and you'll be amazed at the shine. I was amazed at the shine after the first Z-2...then I tried one and two more subsequent coats and I was dumbfounded. There is no need to Z-1 between coats...just before the first coat.

I recommend their polish applicators as well...

Oh, and if you have an older car, the Z-5 works great as well. With my '97 del Sol, a typical Zaino day goes as follows: wash twice, dry, Z-1, Z-5, Z-2, Z-2. It ends up looking awesome for a 10 year old car.

Last edited by rjm161; 04-30-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by rjm161
I use a good mit as well.

When you get to the waxing stage, check out www.zainostore.com. Once I Zaino it, I'll use their wash (the Z-7) as well. The only time you want to use dish soap (I use original Dawn) is to strip wax...car wash solution typically doesn't strip wax. The caveat there is that dish soap won't strip Zaino.

I started using Zaino when I had my S2000 and will never switch to anything else. Before you ask, yes, I have tried Zymol, Meguiars, Mothers, etc. Have tried them all. They are all good, but nothing is in the league with Zaino. The fact that it is easier to use than the rest is just a bonus. I haven't tried the ZFX yet...I just use the Z-1 and Z-2. One thorough base-coat of Z-1 and then several applications (and removals) of Z-2 and you'll be amazed at the shine. I was amazed at the shine after the first Z-2...then I tried one and two more subsequent coats and I was dumbfounded. There is no need to Z-1 between coats...just before the first coat.

I recommend their polish applicators as well...

Oh, and if you have an older car, the Z-5 works great as well. With my '97 del Sol, a typical Zaino day goes as follows: wash twice, dry, Z-1, Z-5, Z-2, Z-2. It ends up looking awesome for a 10 year old car.
I haven't tried Zaino but I've read all the raves about it from people that use it. I would like to use it but I don't have enough free time to do it right.

Hey, have you ever tried the wolfgang wax? It sounds pretty good but I would like to hear from somebody that has tried it. I already have a porter cable so all I need is a good wax... well, and better pads.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey, this forum should really have it's own "wash and wax" section for the various car detailing threads that will inevitably pop up.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 AM
There is nothing wrong with using dish soap to wash a car. That is if you dont mind stripping the old wax off.
I use Dawn before waxing just for that reason.

here is a nice place to buy stuff or get tips. http://properautocare.com/

Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Paint Care

Hi!
So far, love the car, a BOM A/T, would like to keep it looking new... But haven't found any reference to washing or waxing in owner's documents...
Do's or Don'ts truly appreciated!!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Use a microfiber or wool wash mitt. Make sure not to drop it on the ground or the small rocks etc.. will scratch your paint.

Use a well known brand car wash not household soap or dishwashing soap.
I like to use warm water from the tap as opposed to cold water from the hose.
It helps dissolve dird droppings, sap, and other things easier and with less scrubbing compared to cold water. Which means less pressure and agitation and reduced risks for scratching and swirl marks.

I like to wash my car once then rinse the mitt and do it once more. You'd be surprised how much dirt stays behind after the first wash.

Before drying I spray some quick detailer on the part of the car I'm about to dry. This helps break the surface tension of the water and reduces the chances of water spots. It also lubricates the surface and keeps a syhtnetic chamois from scratching the paint. I spray the detailer on, then using one synthetic chamois gently wipe the water off the car. Then using a microfiber towel, gently dry off the small amount of water left behind.

I would use a wax right away to protect your car. Synthetic or Carnauba.
Carnauba gives a really nice deep shine but really only last 1 month in high heat or cold/rainy/snowy weather. So for Ohio and best protection use
a synthetic wax.

If you need specific product info as to what waxes, wash soap, etc.. Go ahead and PM me and I'll give you some.

Last edited by Fit Is Go; 05-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with Fit Is Go's comment. Microfiber cloths are a MUST. They will not scratch your car. And take your TIME.

I perfer synthetic wax - Klasse AIO & SG because of its shine and durability.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the input!
I was concerned there might be a waiting period before applying some protectant...
Will go with Zaino products as with them I have had very good results.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Modern automotive paints gas out really quickly. It shouldn't be an issue.
If it were two weeks after the car was painted I'd say wait. Realistically a car has been sitting for 4 weeks before it's delivered to a dealer.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolfDoc
Thanks for the input!
I was concerned there might be a waiting period before applying some protectant...
Will go with Zaino products as with them I have had very good results.
GolfDoc - For the Zaino products, would you recommend the wax for regular paint finish or for clear coat finishes on the Fit?

Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Good question! Checked with the Zaino tech folks just to be sure and they said use the clear coat, their product # is Z-2.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Ummm, I've been googleing this microfiber cloth. I think I might pick one up tonight.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by chasgood
here is a nice place to buy stuff or get tips. http://properautocare.com/
I can vouch for this place. I've been buying from them for years. I also
love griotsgarage.com

Old 05-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by ew_deathscythe
nice s2000 =)
waddup KIM?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cvc2nr
Thanks! It looks like you have a berlina too. Are you on s2ki?
Absolutley

Old 05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Popeye
Absolutley
Cool! I'm one of the community organizers for the Inland Empire forum - a sub forum in the So Cal section.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
what is this claying business ?

What exactly is "claying" a car in detailing it.

This is a new one to me.

Where do you get this stuff who makes it and does it work ?

Anyone use it ?

Old 05-08-2006, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seizure
What exactly is "claying" a car in detailing it.

This is a new one to me.

Where do you get this stuff who makes it and does it work ?

Anyone use it ?
It's using a specialized clay bar and lubricant to gently remove the buildup of crap/pollutants that sticks to your paint as you drive day in and day out. Basically, you spray the lube onto an area and then rub the flattened clay over it to pick up all the stuff stuck on the paint, then wipe up the excess lube with a cloth. Best to wash the car first, clay it, then wax. The results are amazing and the paint feels like glass when you're done. You can find any number of clay bars and kits if you hunt detailing shops on the web. I'm lazy, so I buy the Mother's kit at my local Autozone. It works great.

Quick Reply: Washing your FIT, products, techniques, answers