Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Honda Fit SRS light 8-1 8-5 after accident and SRS unit reset

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda Fit SRS light 8-1 8-5 after accident and SRS unit reset

Hi, I'm having the same issue with both of my 07 and 08 Honda Fits. I bought both of them with light front damage - salvage titles though due to airbag deployment I'm guessing. I took out the SRS computers and sent them in to have the codes cleared. Upon installing the SRS computers I get codes 8-1 and 8-5 now displayed when jumpering OBD pins 4 / 9.

I tried resetting the system with the MES reset and the lights go off and come right back on. My SRS resetter guy told me to take the car into the dealer to get the OPDS system resynched. They charged me $115 to tell me the OPDS computer in the seat won't reset leaving the 8-1 code present - something about serial number. Next step was $800 to replace the OPDS computer and calibrate the system. I opted to wait hoping someone has either been through this or can advise whether my SRS resetter guy reloaded crap software screwing up my units so I need to buy new SRS computers...

Any thoughts / tips / suggestions greatly appreciated. Due to the salvage status neither car are under warranty so I'm on my own and not wanting to shell out $1000+ to replace the SRS computers.

Thanks in advance! Brad

Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Where is the srs control unit in an 07 fit sport

Hi! Can you tell me where the srs control unit is in an 07 fit sport?

Thanks for your help,

TT~

Originally Posted by BradGuy
Hi, I'm having the same issue with both of my 07 and 08 Honda Fits. I bought both of them with light front damage - salvage titles though due to airbag deployment I'm guessing. I took out the SRS computers and sent them in to have the codes cleared. Upon installing the SRS computers I get codes 8-1 and 8-5 now displayed when jumpering OBD pins 4 / 9.

I tried resetting the system with the MES reset and the lights go off and come right back on. My SRS resetter guy told me to take the car into the dealer to get the OPDS system resynched. They charged me $115 to tell me the OPDS computer in the seat won't reset leaving the 8-1 code present - something about serial number. Next step was $800 to replace the OPDS computer and calibrate the system. I opted to wait hoping someone has either been through this or can advise whether my SRS resetter guy reloaded crap software screwing up my units so I need to buy new SRS computers...

Any thoughts / tips / suggestions greatly appreciated. Due to the salvage status neither car are under warranty so I'm on my own and not wanting to shell out $1000+ to replace the SRS computers.

Thanks in advance! Brad

Old 10-09-2019, 05:16 PM
8-5 and 8-1 SRS module code

Originally Posted by BradGuy

Thanks in advance! Brad
I know this is an old thread, but did you have any luck with this? I'm having the same problem and it would be awesome if you found a solution.I have a 2008 FS that I purchased a few months ago that had been bumped in the rear and fixed by the previous owner. SRS flash code shows 8-5 and 8-1 in that order. I've been racking my brain and here is what I've done so far:

-Battery is about a year old and putting out 12.4V while off and 14.3V while running.
-Checked the two SRS fuses in the under-dash box, both are good
-I have sent my SRS module in to be reset AND purchased another used one off ebay and had that reset: still have the code.
-I clear the code via the MES and the SRS light stays off as long as the ignition is in the run position. As soon as I turn the car off/back on the code comes back.
-Tested voltages and grounds at the plug going into the SRS module (I observed proper safety protocols), grounds were good, the voltages I observed were (only saw voltages on the first plug):
-Pin 6 (Brown wire) 4.73V
-Pin 14 (Green w/ Orange Stripe) 10.55V
-Pin 17 (White) 12.38V
-Pin 18 (Pink w/ Blue Stripe) 12.38V
-Pin 21 (Brown w/ White Stripe) 11.24V
-Pin 24 (Red w/ Yellow Stripe) 10.28V

Pins 6, 14, 21, and 24 seem suspect, but I'm having a hard time finding any detailed info. Even my shop manual just says to check the charging system (seems good based on my tests) and then replace the module (resetting two different modules should have covered that). Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated, the shop wants to charge me $1100 which is about half of what I paid for the car!