Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

The dreaded dash rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
The dreaded dash rattle...

I just got my 2010 Fit about a month ago. Dealer was retarded, but that's another story. At 100 miles my car developed this rattle or... creak on the passenger side around the a-pillar air bag/window/dash area. I can't pin point it, and neither can the dealer (brought it in twice, a total of 3 days without a car). It almost sounds like it's coming from the tweeter, but tapping on the area and removing the bottom glove box to check for anything loose has resulted in nothing. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?)

I have read every single thread on this forum and every other random forum about how to fix the dash rattles in the car. The dealer used foam anti rattle "tape" between the dash and the window, but did not fix it. I've taken felt and placed it in every possible area I could think of, tested, moved felt, tested again, until my head exploded. The dealer says the noise is "acceptable" so they won't work on it unless I get a Honda rep to verify the noise.

The rattle is minimal, but it's just loud enough to drive me crazy. Also, the rattle tends to be worse when it's hot outside. When it's cooler (not sunny) or damp in the air (if it just rained), I can't hear it. Does anyone have ANY idea what it could be? I was so excited over this car, but this whole rattle business has ruined the whole experience. I want to love the Fit... but I really hate it right now.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Heat's expanding something plastic that is installed below tolerances. Get the Honda Rep involved.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
hmm i also get a rattle but in the drivers side door, it is quite irritating. i was thinking about taking it in for them to have a look.

let me know on the development of the situation.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
kdring--I have your answer...

It's not on the inside, many have had this problem.
Let me find the thread.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the link...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...arranty-2.html

Check out post #42 thru #70

We talked about it extensively on there and it fixed it 100%
Check that out...and if you need any help, let me know.

It's just a piece of trim around the windshield rattling--just add some foam weatherstripping and you'll be good as gold.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Points to Btrthnezr3 - good memory dude - hope it solves the problem, never heard that before.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I remember reading this one, I tried using folded up felt around the trim that touches the a-pillar and passenger side window, but it didn't affect anything. I actually went out and bought weatherstripping according to this thread as well, but have yet to try it.

You're just talking about the inside trim that you can kind of peel back with your fingers? Or actually removing the a-pillar cover?

Last edited by kdring; 08-23-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
I vote for the outside windshield plastic fix. If that doesn't work, turn the volume control knob clockwise.

Last edited by Selden; 11-05-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Oh wait, I couldn't see wtf that picture was of before. I noticed that piece was a little loose when looking over my car again today. I honestly didn't think it'd be making the noise though. I will try again tonight with some of the stripping I bought and let you know if it works. If it does I'll seriously have your babies.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah-it's the outside trim touching the outside of the windshield

Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Picture???

Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Well I tried to work with it a bit - I pulled the thin top half of the piece away without trouble and used some foam and tape and pretty much whatever I had to insulate it just to see if that was the problem. But still hear the rattle :/ So I wonder if it's just the whole piece or something else entirely. I'm afraid to pull too much in fear of breaking it off :/

I also just noticed yours happened above a certain speed, 50mph or whatnot. Mine happens at ANY speed, even pulling out of the driveway.

Last edited by kdring; 08-23-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Just an update for anyone with similar problems. Took the car to another Honda dealer in the area after the first refused to work on it without Honda Corp getting involved. They said I have a defective a-pillar and they're ordering the part to replace it (should be done by Wednesday - left the car with them Friday evening).

We'll see if that fixes it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wondering if the problem gets worse during colder weather since it was annoying me today.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
For me the sound comes during any temp, actually more when it's really hot out (which makes me think it's plastic expanding somewhere). My a-pillar clip has been replaced about 3 times and now makes it's own rattle over rough road surfaces, wee. He wrapped all the wires under the a-pillar casing and used electric tape on any loose wires he could find inside the dash (which were a lot considering the amount of white tape that's now all over everything). Unfortunately the noise is still there, but as it's getting colder I don't hear it as much. (Although in playing around with some of his tape, I took some off of a series of wires/plugs to the right of the air filter that had been bound and it seemed to increase the noise, so maybe that has something to do with it, idk).

So result: a lot of wasted time and effort and I'm starting not to care anymore! Just going to turn the radio up and wait until summer rolls around again to bother with it.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Lol, wish I could do the same. I can't take it anymore!!!!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Dante--mine, when it was the outside trim problem, was worse when it was cold.

Check those side trim pieces, and then the other part that was making noise was the wiper cowl cover on the driver's side. I got out...grabbed ahold and pulled it toward the driver's side mirror. It moved quite a bit and has not vibrated since.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Hey Dante--mine, when it was the outside trim problem, was worse when it was cold.

Check those side trim pieces, and then the other part that was making noise was the wiper cowl cover on the driver's side. I got out...grabbed ahold and pulled it toward the driver's side mirror. It moved quite a bit and has not vibrated since.
Hey there kid I was wondering about you.... My dash rattled on a cool day recently and since it has been in the 80s again the rattling and buzzing stopped.... I suggest that the best thing to do is to get rid of the muffler and get a short ram intake.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Has anybody replaced their windshield? A Fit owner said the rattle in his car vanished after the windshield was replaced in it?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sure that is because they probably adjusted the cowl when they uninstalled/reinstalled. I'm telling you guys--it's either those outside trim pieces or the cowl. Everytime it starts making the noise, I just go adjust the cowl and the noise goes away for weeks after that.

If I really wanted to be anal, I could put some foam weather stripping between the cowl and my windshield...but eh, I'll just get out and adjust every few weeks (when it's cold--I don't have to do it at all when the weather is warm)

Quick Reply: The dreaded dash rattle...