Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Taillights not working need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Taillights not working need help!!!

My taillights randomly went out the other day. My brake lights still work but not the taillights. Also parking lights dont work as well as the AC knobs do not work. Anyone have any suggestions.

Maybe a wireing diagram. anything

Thanks Jordan

Old 10-10-2010, 12:26 AM
5 Year Member
Fuses. Go under the dashboard and find the one that says "parking lights" and replace that. The rear running lights and front parking lights are the same fuse. As for the interior one, I think it's called intstrument cluster, or something like that. ALWASY replace the fuses with the same amperage.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I know on some older cars, the instrument lights were on the same fuse as well. Headlights aren't. If you were driving at night with headlights but the instrument panel went dark, you usually didn't have taillights either (but brakelights were good).

Check your fuses.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
ive had this problem before. i dont remember if its a fuse under the hood or under the dash, but its a fuse issue

Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Bringing up a dead thread: I recently purchased some led to swap out the dome, map, front clearance, trunk and reverse(tailight) bulbs...today I was checking to see what the reverse lights looked like and went behind the car while all brakes were engaged.

I noticed they weren't working so I pulled them and reseated them...I was taking a step back when I noticed smoke...

Anyway so I blew both fuses for the back up light. (Noticed the car came stock with a 7.5 for slot one though the manual states a 10 goes into that small orange housing)...I replaced both with 10's and they still aren't working.

I need help because I don't know much about wiring, and hope it's an easy fix...any ideas ????

Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
If you saw smoke, something burnt. Unless you want to pull out the whole panel, I suggest you take it to the dealer/mechanic.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 PM
^^like he said^^

Definitely not a good sign -smoke. That's the inherent problem of up-sizing fuses.... as was stated a year ago:
ALWASY replace the fuses with the same amperage.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
so there isnt anything else I can do other than take it to a dealership? is there a switch I can test? maybe under the hood?

all the other lights work fine.

And to reiterate: the fuses that blew when the socket smoked WERE stock (7.5, 10), when I checked the manual it said 10a,10a so that is what I replaced them with...should I disregard the fuse box diagram in the manual and put a 7.5 into the orange clip holder that goes to slot #1 in the fuse box?

I didnt upsize anything KC...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Where did you see smoke?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
i had pulled the light sockets out of the tailight assembly to reseat the led buld. o]n the other side I had already replaced the led with a halogen as I was in the process of putting the old bulbs back. I reached to get the other halogen when I noticed the led was touching the metal of the car and the led was smoking so I turned put the car in park turned it off and pulled the bulb. I finished putting the old bulbs back when I noticed they wouldnt work and went to check the #1 and #5 fuses....

hope my rambling made sense...thanks for your help...

Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 PM
#1 is 7.5A - and covers the dome, map and cargo lights
#5 is 10A - it covers back-up lights

With the ignition switch off swap the bulbs to where you want them.
Then get the fuses straight and see what happens.

Not a good idea swapping bulbs with the power on - if that's what you did.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member
KC- That is sort of what I did. One of the bulbs wasnt seated right so i kept fiddling with it while in reverse...

anyway I did as you said and straightened out the fuses, then put the old halogens in to find that one works (the other probably burned out when I was messing with it)!!!

so thats the good news, I'll pick up another halogen for now.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Glad you got it, it's always fun working on the electrics. Advice is always to disconnect the battery ground as well... switch off usually works unless it's a 'hot' circuit. I fused a socket once trying to pull a starter motor on an Audi - ouch!

Curious to know what are you using for LED's?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly its the full led package from fellow FF'er FITFITFIT...they all in japanese and without easy identifiers...check his thread (he includes photos of them all) good product though I think I got the wrong bulbs for reverse...

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM
same problem. i replaced number 22 and it doesnt work

Old 04-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by blackedout
My taillights randomly went out the other day. My brake lights still work but not the taillights. Also parking lights dont work as well as the AC knobs do not work. Anyone have any suggestions...
Bringing back this very old thread as I had this exact problem yesterday after hooking up a trailer with shorted wiring. Did a search to find an answer and this thread was a perfect match. Unfortunately nobody had answered the original question and some gave bad info to boot. So I was forced to start checking fuses one by one but not too bad as I knew it would be low amperage so started with 7.5A's and then moved up to 10A's and found it halfway through.

Correct fuse is #29 10A labeled "Small Light"
tail lights, HVAC panel lights and front running lights (not DRL)

Why can't Honda label the fuse box so you have a clue to the function? Even the manual which they have plenty of space uses the same useless abbreviations i.e ACG, IGP, LAF, STS, DBW and of course Small Lights.

_

Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Bringing back this very old thread as I had this exact problem yesterday after hooking up a trailer with shorted wiring. Did a search to find an answer and this thread was a perfect match. Unfortunately nobody had answered the original question and some gave bad info to boot. So I was forced to start checking fuses one by one but not too bad as I knew it would be low amperage so started with 7.5A's and then moved up to 10A's and found it halfway through.

Correct fuse is #29 10A labeled "Small Light"
tail lights, HVAC panel lights and front running lights (not DRL)

Why can't Honda label the fuse box so you have a clue to the function? Even the manual which they have plenty of space uses the same useless abbreviations i.e ACG, IGP, LAF, STS, DBW and of course Small Lights.

_

Thanks. Exactly the same problem on mine (stupid trailer) except for my 2007 "Small Light" is number 22.

Cheers !

Old 11-23-2020, 12:12 PM
SERIOUSLY?!?! Something burnt?! Thanks for THAT bit of brilliance! You forgot “It’s wet because of water”