Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY- Be hardcore, replace your heater core

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM
DIY- Be hardcore, replace your heater core

Hey guys,

One of my close friends called me up the other day and requested my assistance with the heater core replacement on his '07 Fit. After reflecting on the fact that it's peculiar for such a new car to experience heater core failure, I agreed to help a brother out

Here's the procedure for replacing the heater core on a '07 Fit:

1) Make sure you have the anti-theft codes for the audio system.

2) Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

3) Disconnect the suction and receiver lines from the evaporator core.

4) When the engine is cool, drain the engine coolant from the radiator.

5) Slide the hose clamps back, then disconnect the inlet heater hose and the outlet heater hose from the heater core. Engine coolant will run out when the hoses are disconnected; drain it into a clean drip pan. Be sure not to let coolant spill on the electrical parts or the painted surfaces. If any coolant spills, rinse it off immediately.

6) Remove the dashboard (instrument panel).

7) Disconnect the drain hose. Remove the clips, the mounting bolts, the mounting nuts, and the blower-heater unit.

8) Remove the blower unit from the heater unit.

9) Remove the self-tapping screws and the pipe cover. Remove the self-tapping screw and the pipe clamp, then carefully pull out the heater core without bending the inlet and outlet pipes.

10) Remove the self-tapping screws and the pipe cover. Remove the bolts, the inlet and outlet pipes, and the expansion valve. If necessary, remove the self-tapping screws and the blower resistor.

11) Remove the evaporator temperature sensor connector, then remove the self-tapping screws and the duct (I). Pull out the evaporator core with the plate.

-Installation-

1) Install the heater core and the evaporator core in the reverse order of removal.

2) Install the heater unit in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

Caution: Do not interchange the inlet and outlet heater hoses, and install the hose clamps securely.
  • With air conditioning; be sure to connect the drain hose securely.
  • Adjust the air mix control cable, the mode control cable, and the recirculation control cable.
  • Enter the anti-theft codes for the audio system.
  • Set the clock.
  • Refill the cooling system with engine coolant.
  • Make sure that there is no coolant leakage.
  • Make sure that there is no air leakage.

*heater diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
this is an EXCELLENT 14th post! serious! thank you for adding to the fit community. +rep

Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Interesting post. I'll bet that step six is a real killer, however.

Last heater core I did was on my 96DeVille. Didn't have to remove the dash but did need to pull the glove box and stand on my head under the dash.

Curious to know how long it takes to do all this?? Not that I anticipate needing too ;-)