Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Waxing Your New FIT, questions,techniques,products

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
the paste wax is the kind that comes in the little tubawear container like thing.. right..?

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Get a Cleaner wax to prepare the surface, then I would go with NXT or if you have a carquest go for duragloss products, great for the money! or if you have advance auto parts look for Collinite 845, will literally last 6 months + especially if you come back a week or to later and hit it with like some spray nxt...I use Klasse All in one to clean the paint, Collinite 845, then NXT a week later to seal the deal, 6 months no problem 24/7 outside on multiple cars, I will post pics this weekend as the Fit is getting its first Ultimate treatment.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
Get a Cleaner wax to prepare the surface, then I would go with NXT or if you have a carquest go for duragloss products, great for the money! or if you have advance auto parts look for Collinite 845, will literally last 6 months + especially if you come back a week or to later and hit it with like some spray nxt...I use Klasse All in one to clean the paint, Collinite 845, then NXT a week later to seal the deal, 6 months no problem 24/7 outside on multiple cars, I will post pics this weekend as the Fit is getting its first Ultimate treatment.
This man knows what he is talking about. If anything finish with Collinite 845 so the protection lasts longer. From people's comments, NXT does not last long. If you want deep color you can try NXT before the 845 and get the deep wet look from NXT and the lasting protection from 845.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:10 PM
When I detail, I use Klasse All-in-one polish first, then a wax called P21S (but its $32 per puck) and then i seal it with either Klasse Sealant or one of a few other sealants. Carnauba is known to leave the paint looking shinier and deeper, but sealant are all about protection. They are synthetic and much higher melting points than carnauba does.
I just tried NXT Tech Wax (the hard one) and it was a nightmare. Not only was it really hard to get off the paint compared to other waxes I've used, but it also left powder on the paint that wasn't that easy to get off of a 15 foot tall horse trailer.
Tre

Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you should try the liquid NXT. It goes on and off easy.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
I have been using a product called Zaino. Its not a wax but a polish and a protectant. I has a high UB screening level (good if you leave your car outside). Goes on easy, once prep work is done and lasts up to 6 months. Beads water that long. They are a national brand and only sold through the mail or internet, I think.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
They have the crappier Zaino's at the automotive stores.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Waxing

I normally don;t wax my car but decided to treat the fit well and do some waxing. I bought some Mcguire Gold class and all it says is to apply a thin layer.. did just that but i don't really see a nice shiny coat..
Should i apply more or am i using the wrong kind of wax to get that nice shiny look?

Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 AM
Your car must be relatively new given you're in the US like me, so the only way you're going to see even more shine than what it already comes with from Honda, is to do a machine polish and then wax. I tried Mothers Reflections Spray Wax and it made little difference. I polished the car using Mothers Power Polish and my Makita cordless drill with polishing attachment, and then tried another wax, Gliptone Carnauba Wax, and it shines better than before. I use the spray wax for a quick job. I haven't even used the Mothers clay bar I bought yet, but if you're really into ging your ride the ultimate, it should go as follows: wash, clay bar, machine/hand polish, wax, and wax again Personally I don't have time to do all that, I'd rather be driving more than slaving all day to do that kind of car worship

Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax was highest rated by Consumer Reports last month. Not only was it rated highly for shine, It was rated highly for durability, which is good for me because I wax my car once a year weather it needs it or not (sometimes I do the hood and roof at six months). I haven't waxed the Fit yet as it still "beads" well. I did use it on my Xterra and it did a good job. Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Wax was not rated as good for either gloss or durability

Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spreadhead
Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax was highest rated by Consumer Reports last month. Not only was it rated highly for shine, It was rated highly for durability, which is good for me because I wax my car once a year weather it needs it or not (sometimes I do the hood and roof at six months). I haven't waxed the Fit yet as it still "beads" well. I did use it on my Xterra and it did a good job. Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Wax was not rated as good for either gloss or durability
Beading alone is not an indicator of wax. It could be the clearcoat that is causing that beading. Our fits are not delivered waxed nor is it waxed by the dealer. Why would they when they can sell you the extra coating for $500 to wax the car for you. So wax it ASAP. The interior dash is not coated as well, get it protected. I use Finish 2001 which is really great. I believe its now F21 Turtle Wax now.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fm2n
Beading alone is not an indicator of wax. It could be the clearcoat that is causing that beading. Our fits are not delivered waxed nor is it waxed by the dealer. Why would they when they can sell you the extra coating for $500 to wax the car for you. So wax it ASAP. The interior dash is not coated as well, get it protected. I use Finish 2001 which is really great. I believe its now F21 Turtle Wax now.
Clearcoat does not cause beading. I have owned several new cars, I have never gotten one without some wax, probably spray wax from the factory but wax none the less. And FYI Turtle Wax F21 was rated 24th out of 28 in the tests. It rated as follows: Gloss-very good, durability-fair, Ease of use-good, cleaning-good, scratching/hazing-fair, compatibility with plastics-excellent. Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 was rated 2nd out of the 28.

Last edited by spreadhead; 08-01-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Angry Dupont Spray on Car Wax NOT GOOD!

I have used the Dupont spray on car wax about two times since I bought it, both times it leaves a nice shine once Iam first done, but the next day I got to my car and run my hand on it and I feel like grains of sand or something ALL OVER IT! I tried to take it off once with soap and water and it appeared to be gone but again the next day they were all back just not as signicant.. So yesterday I finally just washed it again and now there are like residue spots from all the other sand like places... So I think if I wash it for a 3rd time it will finally rid of the spots and I can go back to trusty turtle wax.. So.. if you pass by this stuff in the store.. keep on walkin!!

Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fm2n
Why would they when they can sell you the extra coating for $500 to wax the car for you.
To rip you off of course.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
have to wax mine..... I am so lazy and my kids suck so much energy......

Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Exclamation Bummer!

Thanks for the heads up - I was just looking at this product.
Think I'll stick with my Turtle Wax ICE detailing spay -

Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
good idea..

Old 08-01-2006, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Clearcoat does not cause beading. I have owned several new cars, I have never gotten one without some wax, probably spray wax from the factory but wax none the less. And FYI Turtle Wax F21 was rated 16th out of 28 in the tests. It rated as follows: Gloss-very good, durability-fair, Ease of use-good, cleaning-good, scratching/hazing-fair, compatibility with plastics-excellent. Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 was rated 2nd out of the 28.
how often should you wax?

Old 08-01-2006, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Does any one use mcguires nxt wax? I went to the auto paint store(they are exclusive in this subject) with my car so the manager could see my car. Of course I intended to ask him what he would suggest for wax on my car. He gave me this stuff mentioned. I later retured to buy the spray bottle speed detail which is most wonderfull. Boy talk about a wet deep shine that went on so easy and fast I got the idea of the speed detail from the mcguires web site.
Mcguires nxt is a synthetic polymer wax which means You use the nxt wash to do car washing and you use the speed detail for touch ups.This way everything is compatable. thats my story.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Clearcoat does not cause beading. I have owned several new cars, I have never gotten one without some wax, probably spray wax from the factory but wax none the less. And FYI Turtle Wax F21 was rated 24th out of 28 in the tests. It rated as follows: Gloss-very good, durability-fair, Ease of use-good, cleaning-good, scratching/hazing-fair, compatibility with plastics-excellent. Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 was rated 2nd out of the 28.
Oh, on the F21, I was referring to the interior dash protectant. I use the Finish 2001 Plastic protectant.

Quick Reply: Waxing Your New FIT, questions,techniques,products