Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

For those of you who like to use Honda Oil Filter, read on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned
Hi everybody-
For an even better oil filter than those already mentioned, visit www.amsoil.com
and click on the products tab at the top of the home page. Look up the pages for "EA0 Oil Filters". When used with Amsoil full synthetic oil, the oil and filter are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first). For more info., call your local Amsoil dealer listed in your Yellow Pages.

Amsoil was the first company to make synthetic automotive lubricants starting in the late '60s. Mobil 1 is twice as good as any brand of refined crude oil, but Amsoil synthetics are twice as good as Mobil 1 or any other brand of pure synthetic motor oil. I make this statement from 30 years of personal experience with these products, but you all are welcome to your own opinions.
Best regards,
Dave

Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Purolator PureOne. Always been on my Mx6 and I now use it on my FiT.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
After a bit of reading on the filter "situation" with the US market ones being Fram/Honeywell (Honda 15400-PLM-A02) and mixed reviews on the Filtech (Honda 15400-PLM-A01)......I went on and ordered one from an S2K (Honda 15400-PCX-004) in the last Honda parts order when I did my 15K service (local dealer doing the previous two). Yeah, costs a bit more, but everyone says the quality is up and it is genuine Honda.

There is a Honda part number for a Mahle filter (15400-RTA-003, not sure if it is the same as the OC 196, Mahle's aftermarket Jazz filter in Europe) but have never seen it stocked with my two dealers. This is supposedly (what I have read) what is on the car upon delivery, but as my first filter is long gone and not removed by me (one of maybe six oil changes I have paid for in my life) I cannot confirm this.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
When the PCX was introduce, in Canada it was $37. That's what prompted me to cut open a bunch of filters. The PCX is the best one I pulled apart. I didn't think that it was $28 better than any other filter, but it was the best one. It now sells for within a buck of the regular Honda filter.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
any idea how the spoon and mugen filters are?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Toyo Roki for me. I have two cases of the filters that I special ordered from Japan that I'm working through.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
oil, mobil-1, or motorcraft semi syntetic 5w20. As for the filter I use K&N HP-1010

Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
American PLM Honda filters are now made by Filltech or Honeywell

Filtech makes Bosch

Honeywell Makes Fram

Everybody knows Fram's filters are horrible, so dont go with the Honeywells or Frams, Fram uses inferior materials and construction techniques

The Honda S2000 Filters are still made by Toyo-Roki, Toyo-Roki makes the good filters, the JDM HAMP Filters are also made by Toyo-Roki, the S2000 Filters will fit on any motor the normal PLM filters will fit on, same thread pitch and same gasket diameter

So IMO buy S2000 filters, pick up a case of HAMPs from PasswordJDM, or go with another good filter, Bosch Mobil 1, Purolator.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Garismatic
The S2000 filter spins onto other Hondas (I've not tested it on a Fit yet, the only issue could come up if there's not enough clearance for the filter's diameter.) It is of truly superior quality. Assuming that it goes on, that's all I'm going to use.
The Toyo Roki filters fit. I've been using them since 500 miles. No fitment issues at all. They are a perfect fit for our Fit.

I agree that they have "truly superior quality."

Old 01-22-2007, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
If your worried or have problems with the S2000 Filter diamater try the HAMP filters, there the same size as the PLM's but with the same Toyo-Roki Quality

Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Deivioncrx
Everybody knows Fram's filters are horrible, so dont go with the Honeywells or Frams, Fram uses inferior materials and construction techniques
I agree with all of your post, except this bit. Having chopped open some Fram filters, and some Honeywell/Fram Honda filters, they appear to be made to Honda's specifications. A Fram with the Honda name on it is quite a bit better than a regular Fram. Filtration material that is thicker, there's more of it, being one of several differences I noticed. I'm still going to go with the PCX filter for my own Fit, but the Honeywell/Fram Honda filter isn't as big a chunk of crap as the orange Fram ones are!

Just another of my 2 cents!!! (I think that makes it about 6 cents now in this thread alone! Gawd I'm opinionated)

Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd go further to say that not all orange ones are crap either, as I did in the other thread...I just don't understand why folks are out to get the Frams. I had a friend (since passed away) who drove sprint cars in the San Jose curcuit back in the 70s...he had his own cams ground and his engines made 700 hp burning alcohol. He remarked that when something broke once before the race, they fixed it, ran to Wal-Mart, got an off-shelf filter and raced. Point being, people are making more fuss about these filters than they should be. The ToughGuard filters are a step up from the basic orange filter and appear to do the job just fine....thats what I'm running right now. If this thread still exists in 10 years, I'll report back and we'll see about whether they're crap or not!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
oem honda filters for me, have been using then since i got my first DA, to my gs-r and now my fit.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by Garismatic
I agree with all of your post, except this bit. Having chopped open some Fram filters, and some Honeywell/Fram Honda filters, they appear to be made to Honda's specifications. A Fram with the Honda name on it is quite a bit better than a regular Fram. Filtration material that is thicker, there's more of it, being one of several differences I noticed. I'm still going to go with the PCX filter for my own Fit, but the Honeywell/Fram Honda filter isn't as big a chunk of crap as the orange Fram ones are!

Just another of my 2 cents!!! (I think that makes it about 6 cents now in this thread alone! Gawd I'm opinionated)
Fram has a pretty bad reputation. no matter what model, if its Fram, i'm never using it. i've seen these things fall apart internally first-hand. Like someone said, inferior parts/construction.

i used to use M1 and Wix with good results based on oil an alysis, but now recently have access to JDM Hamp, so using that in all in the RSX/Fit/06TL. (all the same filter and fitment)

Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
i change my oil on all my vehicles at 4000km, so i don't even think the filter gets dirty enough to justify paying for s2000 filters..

at that price range, i might as well use my JDM hemp filters for the DC5

-joe
I agree with sillypuddy. Anyway what about all the people who has had their hondas or any other cars with no problems ( filtration ) and had use fram? Does that then mean that fram is good? I mean, if you use your car how it is suposed to, and even treating the cars really bad is not enough to a filter to come appart internally, but that is only the experience I have had, and since I am no technician, I didn't care to cut a filter.

But since you guys are such a researchers ( And I am not being sarcastic just trying to learn) can you please tell me about the k&n hp-1010 filter (that I am using) quality? I want to know if the $12.95 I am paying are worth.

Please advise

Old 01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
K&N has a good rep in the filter industry. i wouldnt be worried. i've seen a lot of ppl use it just fine. But if u're paying $13 for a filter, why not go M1, or better yet, JDM HAMP? i get my Hamp for $7 each if i buy 4 at a time. 12/filter alone. Mobil1 is great too, works even better with synthetic oil.

Fram/Filtech products scare me. The particular fram that fell apart was a Toughguard on a daily driver Honda Accord. The filter somehow came apart with the actual filtering material, and we saw it without even cutting the filter open. it was hanging on and had a hole to where it didnt filter oil anymore. i cant imagine what would happen if a piece of debris came out of the filter and into your cylinder head. We contacted Fram and they apologized and sent 10 replacement Frams, but we never used them. Search on google, there should be other reported cases of fram's inferior quality.

Last edited by 03DSM-RSX; 01-24-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by manxman
Hi everybody-
For an even better oil filter than those already mentioned, visit AMSOIL Corporate - Source of the World's Best Synthetic Lubricants - Motor Oil and Filters
and click on the products tab at the top of the home page. Look up the pages for "EA0 Oil Filters". When used with Amsoil full synthetic oil, the oil and filter are guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first). For more info., call your local Amsoil dealer listed in your Yellow Pages.

Amsoil was the first company to make synthetic automotive lubricants starting in the late '60s. Mobil 1 is twice as good as any brand of refined crude oil, but Amsoil synthetics are twice as good as Mobil 1 or any other brand of pure synthetic motor oil. I make this statement from 30 years of personal experience with these products, but you all are welcome to your own opinions.
Best regards,
Dave
Amsoil is good shit, but i would never recommend going 25k miles w/o changing oil. i'm a pending Amsoil dealer

Old 01-24-2007, 12:01 PM
ran Fram's in my daewoo....after tehy blew up my motor (the pieces of metal and filter material broke off from the filter and into the engine.....thus causing a domino effect) i will never ever use a fram product again! i ran Purolator Pure-Ones and WIX in my 2 miatas after the daewoo and Hamp/Toyo-Roki JDM OEM Honda filters in my del sol, civic and Fit. no issues ever since.

Last edited by milano sol; 01-24-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by carlosalicea
I agree with sillypuddy. Anyway what about all the people who has had their hondas or any other cars with no problems ( filtration ) and had use fram? Does that then mean that fram is good? I mean, if you use your car how it is suposed to, and even treating the cars really bad is not enough to a filter to come appart internally, but that is only the experience I have had, and since I am no technician, I didn't care to cut a filter.

But since you guys are such a researchers ( And I am not being sarcastic just trying to learn) can you please tell me about the k&n hp-1010 filter (that I am using) quality? I want to know if the $12.95 I am paying are worth.

Please advise
To respond to your question about the people who have had no problems with Fram, many have had no problems with Hyundais either... I wouldn't suggest them.

I had a K&N apart and was quite unimpressed. If its a Honda, use the PCX filter.

Last edited by Garismatic; 01-24-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:24 AM
vbo
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda
any idea how the spoon and mugen filters are?
I use Mugen filter on my EP3. I mount next month a oil pressure gauge. For this time (10'000km with mugen filter) no problem.

Wen i change it, i cut it for see.