Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

For those of you who like to use Honda Oil Filter, read on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
For those of you who like to use Honda Oil Filter, read on.

After reading this it made me change my filter selection. I now use Mobile 1 or Fram tough guard(I just cut this filter up and I am really impressed at the build quality).

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Nice!! Very informative, might make me reconsider what I'm using... I'll have to read it all the way through at home.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I had no idea there were so many differences!

Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Very good information.
Only caution I have is the date of the article and the cars that were used.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome job, Thats why Im here to learn and to buy stuff. My wife may not get it, but, to learn the Honda filters outside of japan in pretty crappy is surprising.
Plus it shows that you need to change your oil at 3K not the 5-6K honda is telling us to do!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Hey where do you get the Mobil 1 Filters. Im a Bronx boy too!
Hook a brother up!

Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Master FitFreaker
always use honda one or amp

Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
awesome... thanx. So i guess OEM Honda isn't always the best? In the united states that is...

Old 07-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Purolator Pur 1 is my choice. Google it - they are very well made and filter extremely well.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm sure this has came up, but, if we do our own oil changes how can a person reset the oil life counter? I'd hate that thing to be counting backwards and come up with a warranty issue because you know they would try to say you hadn't changed your oil.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
That information is dated.

Honda now uses Fram as their OEM where as before they used Filtech. Personally I would avoid them at all cost and would go with Purolator Pure One, or Premium Plus (99 cents after mail in rebate at Pep Boys), Napa Gold / Wix (fleetfilter.com), Mobil 1, or even the Supertech filters from Walmrt before I would consider putting a fram on my car.

My personal choice would be the Napa Gold / Wix filter as it exceeds in what it is designed to do and is not cheaply made. The price is not excessive neither.

To reset the oil minder, just go to the OLM and hold down the button and it should reset.

Last edited by fm2n; 07-31-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Someone that Posts too much
I change my oil at 4000km, which is way before the filter would get any worst anyways.. no sense in switching from honda

-joe

Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
That is an interesting article. The build quality should be a factor when purchasing a filter, but I'd like to see a better study (more than just a visual study). A test where they actually measure the filtering capacity of the filter (after all, a filter's job is to trap particles, not to look good):

How many particles can it filter out of the oil before getting clogged and the bypass opens, and what is the minimum size of the particles that are trapped (or maximum size and number of particles that pass through)?

Does anyone have any links to websites with that kind of information (done by an unbiased tester, not the manufacturers)?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by fm2n

Honda now uses Fram as their OEM where as before they used Filtech. Personally I would avoid them at all cost and would go with Purolator Pure One, or Premium Plus (99 cents after mail in rebate at Pep Boys), Napa Gold / Wix (fleetfilter.com), Mobil 1, or even the Supertech filters from Walmrt before I would consider putting a fram on my car.

My personal choice would be the Napa Gold / Wix filter as it exceeds in what it is designed to do and is not cheaply made. The price is not excessive neither.

To reset the oil minder, just go to the OLM and hold down the button and it should reset.
your a little wrong, it's actually Honey Well that makes fram and the honda filters, also Toyo Roki, and Filtech aswell, Honda has a few manufacturer, but mainly Honey Well which owns fram.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by fm2n

what size should i get since they don't have any for the FIT on their list. i like the NAPA GOLD more but don't know the model

Old 08-10-2006, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bsphung117
what size should i get since they don't have any for the FIT on their list. i like the NAPA GOLD more but don't know the model
Use the 2005 Accord V6 as your reference.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
you can use any honda filter to be used on the FIT,reason being is honda use's one filter that will fit on all honda's and acura's, they are all teh same except the Insight filter which is the size of a motorcycle oil filter, and one larger filter which only fot a older acura, which you won't find at a honda dealer anyways.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
thnx for all the info since i'm getting an oil change done soon

Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, as the S2000 tech at my dealership, about 2 years ago I cut open 20 different filters. After that exercise, I started using the Purolator Pure One on the Toyota I was driving, but for Hondas, the only one I suggested was the PCX.

The S2000 filter spins onto other Hondas (I've not tested it on a Fit yet, the only issue could come up if there's not enough clearance for the filter's diameter.) It is of truly superior quality. Assuming that it goes on, that's all I'm going to use.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Someone that Posts too much
i change my oil on all my vehicles at 4000km, so i don't even think the filter gets dirty enough to justify paying for s2000 filters..

at that price range, i might as well use my JDM hemp filters for the DC5

-joe

Quick Reply: For those of you who like to use Honda Oil Filter, read on.