Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

This FLICKER needs to STOP!! (2007 woes)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Update...

I replaced my alternator and everything seems to be good now with the charging. I inspected the connector at the alternator and found that one wire was loose and didn't hold a male connector hardly at all. I debated what to do, but I decided to cut off the green connector and bought gold plated connectors from Autozone. I can't say for sure if the flickering stopped because I haven't drove the car enough at night. However I have yet to notice any flickering... that's a good sign.

I thought about having the alternator rebuilt but Autozone was having a "Cyber Monday" sale so I bought a rebuilt one there.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Yep, the alternator did the trick for me also, NO MORE FLICKERING! I picked up a remanufactured honda alternator from https://www.bkhondaparts.com for $213.71 plus $30 for the core charge. This unit comes with a 3-year warranty, better than what comes with a new alternator from Honda. I suspect that the voltage regulator in the old unit was failing. It will be intertesting to see if the new alternator will affect mpgs at all. The last year or so with all of this flickering, the mpgs have been erratic.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
My MPG didn't really improve. Did the valve adjustment, spark plugs and alternator around ~100K and my mpg still hovers close to 30mpg. sometimes better (once got 44mpg) and sometimes substantially worse (once got 18mpg) but my typical is 30mpg.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM
I was having this same issue towards the end of 2012 with my 07 Fit. The headlights and everything in the car would flicker, sometimes for hours.

After paying 3 times for dealers to tell me there was nothing wrong, I demanded they replace the alternator anyway. Thinking it was a Honda alternator issue after reading this forum, I asked that they replace it with an after market instead.

That definitely fixed the flickering issue.

However, I have now had 2 more alternators fail since replacing the Honda alternator in March of 2013.

Yes, that's 3 alternators in 1.5 years.
3 different brands, installed by 3 different mechanics…so it's not a problem with how they are installed.

This is getting ridiculous.

There is obviously something going on that is directly connected to the alternator, but no one can tell me what that is.

If anyone else continues to have this problem, PLEASE let me know what you've discovered.

I'm paying my dealer to dig a little deeper this time. If he finds anything more than the last 4 times I've asked….I'll let you all know.

Last edited by vgarrison; 07-09-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by vgarrison
However, I have now had 3 more alternators fail since replacing the Honda alternator in March of 2013.

Tell us why you replaced it. Did you replace it for the same problem every time? Fickering?

When I replaced my alternator, I also replaced my stock connector. One connection on the alternator plug seemed especially loose, but I can't say for sure if it bad after everything was installed. I decided to clip off the stock connector and used individual gold connectors from Autozone. I soldered in the new connectors and covered them with heat-shrink. Then I covered the entire area with tub-n-tile caulk to prevent water from entering the connections. Again I wasn't sure if the connector was certainly bad, but my alternator has been good for about 8 months now.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
No, the flickering stopped after the first replacement in March 2013.

The 2nd was replaced because all of the lights (headlights and any dash or interior) would dim and the engine sounded like it would "surge" for a minute or two then go back to normal. This happened a few times over a 2 week period.

The 3rd was replaced because for 2 days straight the battery was completely drained (with no lights left on...) despite full recharges at the dealership.

The 4th goes in tomorrow, thankfully in time to still be covered under warranty…but I'd like to know why they keep failing.

The Honda mechanic just told me "There's no point in looking further into the cause…you just need a new alternator".

I'll ask them to at least have a look at the stock connector. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mynodha
Tell us why you replaced it. Did you replace it for the same problem every time? Fickering?

When I replaced my alternator, I also replaced my stock connector. One connection on the alternator plug seemed especially loose, but I can't say for sure if it bad after everything was installed. I decided to clip off the stock connector and used individual gold connectors from Autozone. I soldered in the new connectors and covered them with heat-shrink. Then I covered the entire area with tub-n-tile caulk to prevent water from entering the connections. Again I wasn't sure if the connector was certainly bad, but my alternator has been good for about 8 months now.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Lights flickering and Car lurching

So I'm having this same problem with my lights, however I have the added problem of my car not starting at times and also this lurching sensation while stopped.

Description: When I'm on level ground at a stop, if I just lightly press the break so that it is just barely stopping the car I can feel the whole Fit jumping as if someone was tapping the gas and it was reviving enough to try and move because the brake is just barely holding.

To me it's almost as if not all pistons are firing then once they all catch the car gets a power boost and it tries to jump. My father has had two of the ignition coils replaced a few years ago and now I'm wondering if it is time to replace the other two.

This has been a problem all summer long, however how that is it getting colder I have the added problem of sometimes the Fit just won't start. Other times it starts just fine. ANOTHER symptom that I have become aware is that the Fit only gets about 275 miles per tank where as it use to get close to 400 miles per tank of fuel.