Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Clutch Delay Valve Delete ♫DIY♪

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I think I know what you're saying.

The prob though is that the GD3 CMC will not go through the firewall. What I meant by norrower is that the distance between the 2 mounting bolts is narrower than the GE8 CMC, not the bolt being narrower/smaller in diameter. The bolts does not line up with the holes on the GE8 firewall.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 04-20-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM
I see what you are saying now. the distance from stud to stud is smaller then the GE8

Understood!

May have been a move by honda to stabilize the clutch master, while at same time saying screw us and restricting the clutch lol

Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
That's right. Stud to stud distance is narrower on the GD3.

So did some poking around bernardi parts website, and the CMC to firewall seal/ gasket part number on the GE8 and 01-05 Civic CMC (46920-S5A-G05) is the same. That to me is a good indicator that the stud to stud distance is the same on both CMCs. Hopefully this time I'm right, lol.

Anybody in need of GD3 CMC, pm me.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, the CMC for the 01-05 Civic fits. Part number is on my post above.

There is still going to be some bending required on the clutch hard line but it's minimal compared to what the OP had to do. Once you've got the CMC lined up on the firewall, it is pretty much self explanatory on how you have to bend the piping.

You'll have to remove the hardline mount from the stock CMC and tranfer it over to the new one. I used a flat head screw driver to pry off the retaining pin that holds the line mount on the the CMC. You will also reuse that pin. Make sure to use grease (syl glide or the provided pink grease packet) on the upper neck of the line mount. You will see on the stock CMC, there is grease on it which I think is applied to avoid dirt from going down into the O ring seal inside. So I decided to do the same for the new CMC.

The line that goes from the CMC down to the rubber hose would have to be pulled towards you to keep it from rubbing/touching the hard brake line that goes to the driver's wheel well. Don't pull hard, more like tug, check, tug some more until you're satisfied on how it sits. I also bent the brake line some by pushing towards the firewall and also pushing down on it. Imagine you're walking down a hill, that's how you should push down on the brake line. Again, don't push too hard. Just like how I pulled on the clutch line, that's how you should push the brake line.

When you put the the stock and Civic CMC side by side to compare its size/length etc., you'll see that the pedal pin are of the same length. The mount that connects it to the clutch pedal are also the same. I didn't have to swap pedal pins.

The OP readjusted the positioning of the pedal switch but with mine, I checked, rechecked and I saw no need to adjust it on my installation. Just double check and see if you have to on yours.

So all in all, it is pretty much a direct bolt on CMC. The amount of bending needed is minimal.

The CMC I used was purchased from OEM Honda Parts & Honda Accessories - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories. All you need to buy is the CMC. it comes with the gasket. I used one small bottle of brake fuild.

Please, do your due diligence and use their website to compare the part numbers of the the gasket, retaining pin, O ring seal etc. with the one on the stock CMC to make sure. I'm saying this as I may have missed some things and I don't want anybody to blame me especially for those people who don't have a second vehicle.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 04-28-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
I have a new Fit, and would like to know, exactly what the mod changes. The clutch on mine feels fine. The only thing that bugs me, which, from what everyone says, I have to live with, is when you let off on the gas, the throttle doesn't close, for a fraction of a second. Someone really needs to find a mod for this.
Great DIY and pictures!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Think of the clutch restrictor as a coil spring in theory. The harder you want to use the clutch, the more pain in the butt it is to get a 100% smooth engagement.

When driving normal and using smooth controlled actions it does NOT present an issue.

This clutch delay really got me on the drags. The shifts were harsh enough that I got tire chirping even when going from 3rd to 4th

Im doing the 01-05 civic master as soon as I can afford to have a day of down time

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
When I used to race, we wanted a clutch that would not slip at all, when shifting. This caused tire spin when shifting, if the tires didn't have enough grip.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
With the clutch delay, it will slip, then lerch into gear and cause a chirp because the car wants to wheel hop but catches too hard to keep hopping.

A better motor mount and no clutch delay will fix this

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
With the clutch delay, it will slip, then lerch into gear and cause a chirp because the car wants to wheel hop but catches too hard to keep hopping.
A better motor mount and no clutch delay will fix this
Thanks for the explanation. If I start stepping on it harder, I'll watch for this.
Clutch slippage is a no no in my book. I want my clutch to last forever!

What was this design supposed to accomplish?

Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
The wife and I were just talking about this today. We've had the car (2012 Sport) for almost a year and just turned 42K on the Odometer. There are a few things that we think could be better, but the only thing that we really dislike is the lack of feel and inconsistency in the clutch. It drives us both batshit crazy and is the only real blemish in an otherwise outstanding car. (I could do without the tractor-like understeer as well, but that's a different issue.)

I'm not crazy about bending hydraulic lines (bad experience with that on a previous car), but if it'll get a clutch that actually works the way a clutch should work, I'll do it.

I've seen several people mention that the CDV is there to save the motor mounts. Do I need to plan on upgrading the motor mounts when I do the CDV delete? The car gets driven pretty hard. It's not going to the track or the drags, but it sees redline multiple times a day and pretty much any time we're accelerating, it's WFO.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Banned
NO that is complete BS that is there for EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE ONLY. Other market cars DO NOT HAVE IT it's a nanny USA only thing. And they all have the exact same motor mounts.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
NO that is complete BS that is there for EMISSIONS COMPLIANCE ONLY. Other market cars DO NOT HAVE IT it's a nanny USA only thing. And they all have the exact same motor mounts.
OK. Good to know. Maybe a dumb question...but if the CDV is unique to the US Market then couldn't we just buy a non-US CMC and avoid having to do any modifications (bending hydraulic lines, etc?)

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Bounce
OK. Good to know. Maybe a dumb question...but if the CDV is unique to the US Market then couldn't we just buy a non-US CMC and avoid having to do any modifications (bending hydraulic lines, etc?)
I did a quick part search for a 2009 Jazz CMC and found this,

Honda JAZZ 2009 1.5 LX CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER (LH) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

not sure if it's a direct fit or even the right model for the GE8, but their CMC does look different from ours.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM
why did honda do it? Who the hell knows. for me, I see it as a very dumb but working idea of burning the clutch rather then screwing the transmission up.

I guess honda forgot about the last 40 years of its cars that had no restrictor

EDIT

Originally Posted by kollunz
I did a quick part search for a 2009 Jazz CMC and found this,

Honda JAZZ 2009 1.5 LX CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER (LH) - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

not sure if it's a direct fit or even the right model for the GE8, but their CMC does look different from ours.
Looks the same actually. triangle piece on the side like ours, reservoir nipple, and hardline.

Yep. Just like ours.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
why did honda do it? Who the hell knows. for me, I see it as a very dumb but working idea of burning the clutch rather then screwing the transmission up.

I guess honda forgot about the last 40 years of its cars that had no restrictor

EDIT

Looks the same actually. triangle piece on the side like ours, reservoir nipple, and hardline.

Yep. Just like ours.
Ah, I was picturing it differently. Damn.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
OK, so it isn't just a US-market part. Too bad.

I'll probably still do it.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned
^^ Yea so they still have to have a slave cylinder but out of the USA it is not delayed.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bounce

Yes it would work but their still may be some line bending to fit because of shape difference.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM
plain and simple, it is NOT a usdm only thing.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Banned
Have you driven one?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Delay Valve Delete ♫DIY♪