Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Is the front bumper lip/spoiler easy to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Is the front bumper lip/spoiler easy to remove?

Is the 2008 Honda Fit Sport front bumper lip/spoiler easy to remove? I was driving in reverse to get out of a congested parking lot, then turned the steering wheel and hit the curb and scratched the paint off, and cracked the left side of the bumper lip/spoiler a little. I would like to find a replacement (And hope they aren't too expensive). I noticed that there are 2 screws/bolts that are accessible from the wheel wells, but I have seen that there are other screws or bolts to install it. Guessing I am going to have to jack up the front or drive it up ramps?

Is that the correct name for it. I saw on one diagram that it is #13 of the front bumper parts.

Thanks in advance for your help .

Last edited by Letsclique; 03-26-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Banned
Those screws and a couple of pop out type fasteners and the whole front comes off with gentle pulling. Then if you are talking about the lower bar that comes off with removal of a couple screw fasteners .

Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Thanks! So I wouldn't have to take the front bumper off like I read from another thread on here?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Letsclique
I wouldn't have to take the front bumper off?

Nope, the spoiler comes off with the screws you noticed and several of the plastic "clips" that you remove from the horizontal splash shields underneath. Use two small screwdrivers to pry the clips' center 'button' out, about an eighth-inch...then pull the whole clip out of the hole. Keep track of where each one goes. (They secure a different number of plastic layers, so some are longer than others).

Then there are a few more screws to remove. If your parking maneuver bent the metal brackets that secure the spoiler, you can straighten them. If the spoiler lip is cracked near the 90 degree bend at the trail edge (near the wheel arch), you can repair it with hot glue.

We fixed this damage on our '07 Sport four months ago and it's holding together fine.

IIRC the parts diagram is correct, #13. They have different part numbers for different colors.

Last edited by Carbuff2; 03-28-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Just took off the front lip spoiler on my '07 Fit. Did not need to remove the bumper or jack the car up.

The process involves removing 8 large clips, 2 smaller clips, 6 phillips heads screws (2 on either edge of the spoiler and 2 slightly inboard and under the car), and 5 10mm bolts. The clips fasten the front spoiler to the bumper and to a removable section of the splash guard, while the bolts attach the spoiler mounting clips to the bumper. Once you remove the clips and screws you can slide out part of the splash guard that connects the front spoiler to the larger main splash guard. From there you can reach in and feel around for the 10mm bolts which attach the spoiler mounting brackets to the inside of the bumper.