Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Sounds like a small compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like a small compressor?

Hi all,
About two months ago I noticed a noise that my 2010 fit sport was making,at first not very often now is seems it is getting more frequent.The best I can describe it, it sounds like one of those small compressors filling the tank, the noise last for about 2 seconds when I am accelerating, it seems to me around third gear. I have not heard it while doing highway speeds. Unfortunately my warrantee is up, anyone have a clue ? I was thinking a solenoid maybe for some reason

Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Automatic or manual transmission?

Anyhow, the sound could be a bunch of things. A couple that pop to mind are a loose heat shield rattling around or an out-of-balance tire—more likely the first one. (The tire would generally vibrate at a rather specific speed, and would often be easily felt through the steering wheel as well as the car shuddering a bit.)

It would be helpful if you could figure out where the sound is coming from. That's probably rather difficult, I realize, since you probably shouldn't accelerate down the road while someone is poking their ears under the car hood.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Automatic or manual transmission?

Anyhow, the sound could be a bunch of things. A couple that pop to mind are a loose heat shield rattling around or an out-of-balance tire—more likely the first one. (The tire would generally vibrate at a rather specific speed, and would often be easily felt through the steering wheel as well as the car shuddering a bit.)

It would be helpful if you could figure out where the sound is coming from. That's probably rather difficult, I realize, since you probably shouldn't accelerate down the road while someone is poking their ears under the car hood.
Drew, It is a automatic, I thought all fit sports were auto? Check the heat shield it's not loss. Tire no way, I know what that fells like. I was talking to someone today and I came up with another description of the sound, it sounds similar to a mini jackhammer that last's for one second. The person said he look more toward the transmission being the source. It sounds like it is coming from around gas pedal area.
Thank's for the help

Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Check and see if you have any leaks in your intake tubing and box

If aftermarket intake, might be a loose filter, and the rubber around filter is "burbling" as its sucking air in.