Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant

Bought a bottle of this stuff to spruce up the black trim under the windshield on my GD3. Was starting to look whitish and dry rotted and it restored it to a nice deep matte black! I also tried it on my rear bumper applique and it restored its original dark black look. Fantastic results.

It can also be used for the interior. I might try some on my dash. I bought it in the cream/bottle form but if I had to do it again, I would probably buy it in a spray bottle just for ease of application. This product paired with a nice tire dressing really makes the black rubber/plastic parts look clean and brand new!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Nice ill try that

That is a problem area for me as well under the windshield. I use AutoGlym, it is out of the UK used on Jags and Bents.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lance
That is a problem area for me as well under the windshield. I use AutoGlym, it is out of the UK used on Jags and Bents.
Hello, my brother lives in Victoria, right next to mount Doug. Great city!

I used to use Autoglym products since they are so readily available in Canada but honestly, I find that in the same price range, Meguiars products are much better. However, I do love the autoglym HD wax! I'm currently using the autoglym shampoo but I find my car still comes out slightly dirty after washing and will be changing brands of car wash soap.

Meguiars has a whole line of compounds and polishes and even has professional grade compounds also (harder to find). I've used the PlastX and it completely restored my foggy/dull looking headlights.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Hello, my brother lives in Victoria, right next to mount Doug. Great city!

I used to use Autoglym products since they are so readily available in Canada but honestly, I find that in the same price range, Meguiars products are much better. However, I do love the autoglym HD wax! I'm currently using the autoglym shampoo but I find my car still comes out slightly dirty after washing and will be changing brands of car wash soap.

Meguiars has a whole line of compounds and polishes and even has professional grade compounds also (harder to find). I've used the PlastX and it completely restored my foggy/dull looking headlights.
I just used PlastX this morning on my GD headlights. It worked awesome for my application as my headlights had light/medium yellowing and fogging that was getting worse. I only did it once. I'm thinking of repeating it for better results.

Your talking about the plastic trim wear the wipers sit? I need the same product too. Mine has started to grey, and I've gotten wax on it a couple times.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 06-03-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
I just used PlastX this morning on my GD headlights. It worked awesome for my application as my headlights had light/medium yellowing and fogging that was getting worse. I only did it once. I'm thinking of repeating it for better results.

Your talking about the plastic trim wear the wipers sit? I need the same product too. Mine has started to grey, and I've gotten wax on it a couple times.
Yes. I use dit also on the Black plastic around the H badge and the front grille. Worked wonders! I used it also on my dash; whilst it did make it look nicer, it left plenty of streaks and smudges. The streaks went away in about a week but it wasn't as easy as the exterior application. Perhaps I didn't prep the surfaces properly? Anyway. My dash looks nice and dark again.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
Yes. I use dit also on the Black plastic around the H badge and the front grille. Worked wonders! I used it also on my dash; whilst it did make it look nicer, it left plenty of streaks and smudges. The streaks went away in about a week but it wasn't as easy as the exterior application. Perhaps I didn't prep the surfaces properly? Anyway. My dash looks nice and dark again.
Finally used this stuff last night. Worked awesome at restoring the front trim under the windshield and front grille just like you said. I did a couple of passes but it looks to have dried a little lighter today. Might need another application.

Also used it on the rubber trim under windows, door pillars, and the rear wiper and it darkened all of them.

The pillars came out streaky so I might need to buff it a little. Maybe the application for the pillars wasn't so great but I figured I'd try anyway.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 AM
For restoring trim, take a look at two products from CarPro. The first one is C.Quartz DLux, which is a coating that not only darkens the trim, but provides UV protection as well as beading for at least a year. The second one is PERL. I use PERL on engine plastics, external plastics, and tires. For plastics, I dilute it 1:3, and for tires 1:1. It's a great product that offers really good durability for the price.

Both products last far longer than trim restoring products from Mothers or Meguiars.