Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Need help!

Hi there!

About 2 months ago, I bought a 2005 GD4 ignorantly. I did test no any defects / error messages during testing of this car. Unfortunately, I found a big problem when I went up to the Highway – the car could not shift to higher gear… The problem seems to arise at 2-3 shift.

Background
I bought this GD4 about 2 months ago, when I found this problem, I went to a mechanic to check the car immediately. The mechanic said that my car was originally a 4WD GD4. However, the vertical transmission axis from the front gear box to the rear gear wheel was dismantled. It is only a 2WD GD4 with 4WD gear box now. But the problem seemed to be a gear box failure, so he advised to replace the 4WD gear box to a second hand 2WD gear box. But the problem is still here now after replacement of gear box.

The phenomenon from the beginning to now is, when I accelerate to 40km/h, the relative rpm would be around 1500rpm. However, it cannot shift to higher gear when I continue accelerate. The speed and rpm panel would not show any error message/signal lighting. But more tricky is, it can be normal and shift to higher gear when I stop accelerate at 40km/h, the engine and the speed will be idled, rpm will turn down to around 1000rpm. Then it can shift to higher gear.

Some mechanic advised that it is a communication problem between ECU and gear box. But I am not sure how it can get fixed. Any advice here? Thank you so much

Old 09-27-2022, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by alvin.wfto
Hi there!

About 2 months ago, I bought a 2005 GD4 ignorantly. I did test no any defects / error messages during testing of this car. Unfortunately, I found a big problem when I went up to the Highway – the car could not shift to higher gear… The problem seems to arise at 2-3 shift.

Background
I bought this GD4 about 2 months ago, when I found this problem, I went to a mechanic to check the car immediately. The mechanic said that my car was originally a 4WD GD4. However, the vertical transmission axis from the front gear box to the rear gear wheel was dismantled. It is only a 2WD GD4 with 4WD gear box now. But the problem seemed to be a gear box failure, so he advised to replace the 4WD gear box to a second hand 2WD gear box. But the problem is still here now after replacement of gear box.

The phenomenon from the beginning to now is, when I accelerate to 40km/h, the relative rpm would be around 1500rpm. However, it cannot shift to higher gear when I continue accelerate. The speed and rpm panel would not show any error message/signal lighting. But more tricky is, it can be normal and shift to higher gear when I stop accelerate at 40km/h, the engine and the speed will be idled, rpm will turn down to around 1000rpm. Then it can shift to higher gear.

Some mechanic advised that it is a communication problem between ECU and gear box. But I am not sure how it can get fixed. Any advice here? Thank you so much

Hi, I am facing the same issue.. If I shift to neutral at speed of 40km/hr or higher and then let the rpm drop to around 1k or 1.5k then shift back to D, the vehicle will immediately shift to higher gear with no issues. Can you please state what did you do solve the issue? I have done the start clutch calibration and the feedback learn is complete.