Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

colder a/c from hose insulation???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up colder a/c from hose insulation? maybe...

Having been disappointed with the fits a/c performance, I thought of doing this mod, I have seen other people do this to on other forums, so I gave it a try. Bought some hot water pipe insulation at home depot, $1.85
for 6ft. You can see what it looks like, not to pretty, but does it make your a/c cooler???

I also insulated the high pressure line, that runs across the radiator, I only insulated this part of the high pressure line.
And of course the cold, low pressure from the fire wall to the compressor!

I have tested this mod for 2 months now.
So NO, it does not make the a/c run cooler, apparently theres a termostat that keeps the vent temp at 40F and on rare occasion it hits 38F.

But some good did come from this mod, my a/c now cycles on ALOT less. This should be good for fuel economy, also it cools down to 40F at little bit quicker.

Perhaps Claymore and others can comment on their experience with this mod.

Last edited by Jimmy101; 09-06-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Master FitFreaker
thanks for the infos

Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
apparently theres a termostat that keeps the vent temp at 40F and on rare occasion it hits 38F.
Isnt that also called a pressure switch? Is there a way we can order a different pressure switch that would keep the compressor on longer? What about jumping it....

Besides the "con" of exploding AC lines. Hehee

Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 AM
vbo
Good idea !

Old 09-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I dont know if that was a joke but it couldnt hurt to try it. Only a few down sides from this. The pressure could get really high and the AC lines can blow up.

AC compressor will be on ALL the time meaning lose in power the car doesnt have.

AC compressor life will be shortened.

You could always jump the pressure switch during certain months....

Old 09-07-2006, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Looks OK but like you said won't do much. I wonder if you USDM guys are forcing your compressor to run too much and are freezing your condenser. Before you jump me let me explain... In my old Suzuki the a/c system was small and before I figured it out I would slide the a/c control all the way to coldest and if would be nice then after driving for awhile especially on long trips the a/c would get warmer and warmer. If I stopped for gas or a bite to eat the ground under the car would be full of water from the a/c overflow pipe but the a/c would now be colder.

Then one day I has running some wires for my stereo and by accident my hand brushed against the condenser inside the car and it was covered with ICE. So the light bulb came on and I started running the a/c temp lever in a lower (toward hot) position and wap cold air all the time. I'm not an a/c expert and can't tell you what makes it do it but it looks like if the compressor is running too hard it makes the condenser so cold it freezes preventing air from circulating through the fins to release cold air. Maybe someone could try getting the car cold but then turning down the temp lever a bit more then normal and see if it helps or reach around the back of the dash and see if there is ice on the condenser.

I don't know if this is another case of USDM blues like the gas mileage stuff but here in Bangkok it's 90+ everyday and my Thai built Jazz gets so cold I normally run the a/c with the heat control half way if I run it like 3/4 toward full it gets so cold my wife complains it's too cold and my blower is never on more than number 2 position and most of the time it's only on one even at 90+ outside temp.
In my experience w/ playing with the a/c system, most add the hot air after the evaporator, so if it ices up, it would still do so even if you were to slide the temp to warmer with the controls. If the evaporator is icing, relocating the temp sensor position in the evaporator could help to alleviate an icing problem.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
I dont know if that was a joke but it couldnt hurt to try it. Only a few down sides from this. The pressure could get really high and the AC lines can blow up.

AC compressor will be on ALL the time meaning lose in power the car doesnt have.

AC compressor life will be shortened.

You could always jump the pressure switch during certain months....
The pressure switch turns the compressor off on LOW pressure not high. Jumping it out will cause ice to form on the evaporator and plug it up, causing loss of air flow and loss of cooling. This could also ruin your compressor if you have a refrigerant leak and the compressor continues to run.