Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

RPMs shoot up but speedo crawls? NEED HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:03 PM
RPMs shoot up but speedo crawls? NEED HELP !!

Not quite sure what is going on with my fit, but this problem is persisting.

Its a 2013 honda fit sport, 28xxx km on it, only owned since april.

First gear is fine, everything seems normal, let off the clutch, give it some gas, it goes.

HOWEVER- When I shift it into 2nd, and hit the gas, the RPMS fly up almost as if I have my foot on the clutch partways (which I dont!) and the speedo crawls up behind it, only to level off somewhere around 5000 rpm at something like 60km/hr. To get there however, if I step on the gas for instance, the rpms will go up to 5000, SIT THERE, then level off and sit relative to the speed again.

The same thing happens in third and fourth gear, haven't tried it in 5th yet but i'm sure its more of the same. I just began noticing this on saturday morning after normal driving on friday..... any ideas? I've checked online but i'm having trouble finding a similar problem....

I checked the hydraulic clutch fliud in the top right corner of the under the hood section, its way above the minimum mark almost touching the maximum mark. not sure what it could be at all, I tried letting it run almost 30 minutes to warm it up, still nothing..... Should i give in and call honda? would this still be under warranty?

All comments/thoughts/ideas welcome/

Old 11-16-2014, 10:16 PM
ok, so i just took it out for another spin... If I accelerate VERY slow, its completely fine. I also tried going slow and dropping it into 5th gear, car stalled as it should.

Tried going a little faster in 2nd, dropping into 5th, car shook a little bit then i jammed on the gas, and much to my surprise, no slippage until just over 40km/hr or 11-1200rpm, then the rpms flew up as the speed crawled. Car also stalls at standstill in EVERY gear.

So with very slow accel, no symptoms, but anything above grandma acceleration (nowhere near foot to the floor), RPMs fly up and speed doesnt.

any ideas?

Last edited by exarchangel; 11-16-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:17 PM
also- is the clutch adjustable in the fit? I feel like if i could just adjust it a little bit the problem would be fixed

Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, the pedal is adjustable. At least on the 2007 Fit it is. It sounds like some sort of weird clutch not engaging problem. I'd just take it to honda. Get a mechanic to sit in the car with you and go for a test drive and try and replicate the problem.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Honda warranty is 150k km or 5 years usually so yea, it would totally be under warranty.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 AM
alright, I think I'll try to back the pedal off a little bit, i noticed after reading that there should be about 1" of play, whereas mine has something like a few milimeters, if that doesn't work i'll have to take it back

Old 11-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Sounds like the clutch is toast. Definitely do not go to Honda for this, they are not covered under warranty because they are considered wear and tear

Old 11-17-2014, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
No, the clutch wouldn't be covered. But... the one time I've ever had to replace a clutch was when the rear main seal went and the clutch got oiled. Now, I don't know your driving style or the car's history, but I wouldn't expect a blown engine seal on a Honda that young. Maybe this is just a great time to replace the econobox clutch with a more performance oriented one.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Well, I tried to adjust the clutch pedal myself, and after failing (and breaking one of those black twisty plugs by mistake, where can i get a new one? its under the dash),

I called the dealer i bought it from, they said they've never heard of an issue like that on a practically brand new car (I bought it in april brand new), and to book an appointment and that whatever it is it'll be under warranty. They did tell me to sit on it though and see if it keeps happening.... So I'm guessing book the appointment right?

Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah book the appointment.

Meanwhile, drive easy so as to minimize the slipping. I know of some cars (not Hondas) that CAUGHT FIRE because a slipping clutch generated so much heat.