Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Block heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Block heater

Does anyone have information on the Honda block heater and how it's installed? None of the usual vendor sites seem to describe it.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM
kps
I've checked a number of online vendors but the ones I know of that usually have installation PDFs (e.g. College Hills) don't carry the block heater, and the ones that sell it don't have the instructions or even much of a description. I'd like to determine whether installing one is possible with my level of skills and tools.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM
The only hard part is that you have to drain the coolant from the block, then refill and bleed it when you put the new heater bolt in place of the regular drain bolt. After that, it's just fastening the wires to various mounting points so it doesn't dangle into something it shouldn't, like an alternator belt or something. (This is all assuming it's the same as an S2000 block heater installation).

Just a general FYI - block heaters of this type shouldn't be left on overnight. Since you're effectivelyt boiling the coolant, this will promote corrosion over the life of the engine. Plug it in before breakfast, and the block will be warm for you by the time you're ready to leave.

JonasM

Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 AM
kps
I'd have the heater on a timer of course. I have a fairly short commute (5km), and even now the engine shows cold for a good part of it.

The service manual describes filling and mentions bleeding but doesn't specify anything to open other than the radiator cap.

I also need an excuse to buy some ramps, and they're cheaper than a dealer installation.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
I have NEVER seen one of these things, only seen them as options on so many cars.. since I live in TX there is no use.. could somebody plz mabye post a pic of theirs?

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
Does anyone have information on the Honda block heater and how it's installed? None of the usual vendor sites seem to describe it.
I traced where mine is located. It is just below the second from pass. side exhaust, right where the "V" in VTEC points down to. Pretty small, maybe
1 1/4". Points forward and the cord snakes past the rad over to the right.

The salesman asked $150 for it but gave it to me when I paid cash.

Frost overnight so I plugged it in to make sure it works. A half hour sure made the cold light go off much sooner.

Only info I could find is this .pdf file for an Acura. Hopefully the Fit one would be much easier. I just checked with my dealer's service dept. and they are installed locally, not too hard he says.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl/...ter%2Bhonda%22

Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
kps
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
I have NEVER seen one of these things, only seen them as options on so many cars.. since I live in TX there is no use.. could somebody plz mabye post a pic of theirs?
I found this via Google image search; it's pretty typical. It's like the guts of a $5 electric kettle; the extra $50+ gets you a thread that fits a drain hole or frost plug your engine block. (A frost plug, for you suthnahs, is a hole permanently closed off with a metal seal; if your coolant freezes, the plug bursts before your engine cracks.)

Old 09-28-2006, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone can find the Honda part number (I'll ask the parts dept. next time I'm at the dealership) and installation instructions I would be interested in doing this mod since Winter is just around the corner. Naturally a timer would have to be used.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 PM
kps
Originally Posted by willmax11
I traced where mine is located. It is just below the second from pass. side exhaust, right where the "V" in VTEC points down to.
Here? That's the coolant drain bolt.

Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
If anyone can find the Honda part number (I'll ask the parts dept. next time I'm at the dealership) and installation instructions I would be interested in doing this mod since Winter is just around the corner.
I've ordered one from the local dealer; I'll let you know whether it comes with instructions. It seems that it replaces the drain bolt, but getting at the drain bolt looks a bit awkward.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:43 AM
kps
Originally Posted by claymore
Getting to the drain bolt is best from underneath.
Yes, the shop manual pictures it from underneath. I haven't had a good look yet; the Fit has less ground clearance than my old car so I can't get my jack under the front point and my old ramps don't clear the bumper... and my swelled head doesn't fit on its own. I'll see whether the heater has instructions with any other suggestions.
It's not too bad but it might be much easier if you take off your oil filter first.
I hadn't planned to change my oil quite yet (< 200km) but yeah.... Might be interesting to run it through some fine filters before I put it back.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
I hadn't planned to change my oil quite yet (< 200km) but yeah.... Might be interesting to run it through some fine filters before I put it back.
I don't think my dealer took off the oil filter to install the heater.
It's a tight fit but you can try and get a socket through the gap from the front between the oil pipe and some hoses that can be moved out of the way. Put the right size socket on the bolt first and then the wrench.

I also see they used a tie onto the spar on the fan as the first tie point.

Last edited by willmax11; 09-29-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
How much was it ?

Originally Posted by kps
Here? That's the coolant drain bolt.

I've ordered one from the local dealer; I'll let you know whether it comes with instructions. It seems that it replaces the drain bolt, but getting at the drain bolt looks a bit awkward.
Sounds good. Went out and looked at where it is on mine to get a better perspective and it looks to me like it wouldn't bee too hard to get to if you went between the dipstick and the hose to the left of it with a socket.

But it does look like there's more room to work if you can get under the vehicle to do it as others mentioned. Just had my first oil change so if it can be done without taking the oil filter off that would be a plus.

Don't suppose you have the part # on your receipt, do you ?

Thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 01:38 PM
kps
That's reasonable... I'll find out soon enough, but, what do they do with the plug end? Maybe I should build a little door into the passenger edge of the rad grill plastic... or some kind of magnetic catch (don't sue me Apple) for when I forget and drive off.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 PM
kps
Don't suppose you have the part # on your receipt, do you ?
I've only ordered it, as the dealer didn't have one in stock; I'll post about that when I have it.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
In the instructions that willmax11 gave earlier they just made an opening in the grill and mounted the plug cap there with a zip tie. Here's the instructions link again. It's for an Acura but the idea is the same.
http://www.handa-accessories.com/tl/...ter%2Bhonda%22

If you haven't blocked it off the lower radiator grill is WIDE open so you wouldn't have to cut anything.

I'll be looking forward to the post when you get it. How much was it anyway ?

Old 09-29-2006, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I just called the Honda dealerships parts department and found out that for the sport model the part # is 08T44-FJA-200 and the cost is about $65 here in the US for anyone that may be interested.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:08 PM
kps
In Canada the price is ninety-something (I didn't write it down). Unfortunately I don't know of any US vendor who ships to Canada other than by UPS, whose extortionate "brokerage" fees more than cancel any advantage.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure what the exchange rate is but isn't it something like $2USD = $3CAN so it's about the same anyway. You would be paying even more to get it from the US after sales tax shipping and customs (if any).

I went ahead and ordered one. They said the order would be placed on Monday and they should have it by Wednesday.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy No instructions with mine.

Originally Posted by kps
Yes, the shop manual pictures it from underneath. I haven't had a good look yet; the Fit has less ground clearance than my old car so I can't get my jack under the front point and my old ramps don't clear the bumper... and my swelled head doesn't fit on its own. I'll see whether the heater has instructions with any other suggestions.
There weren't any instructions with mine when I picked it up but then it looked as though it was ordered some time back for a 89 prelude so they may have been taken out.

Did yours have any instructions kps ?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
kps
Did yours have any instructions kps ?
No instructions with mine either. I'll install it on the weekend, and report. The part number on mine was 08T44-S01-300; hopefully neither of us the wrong part.

The manual specifies 58 lb-ft for the drain bolt.
The procedure given for refilling is:
- fill reserve tank to MAX
- fill radiator to bottom of filler
- replace cap loosely
- run engine until fan comes on twice
- let engine cool and top up radiator
- replace cap, run engine and check for leaks
Presumably it bleeds at the radiator cap.

Quick Reply: Block heater