Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ignorant owner here with limited knowledge. Willing to DIY. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Ignorant owner here with limited knowledge. Willing to DIY. Help!

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone's day is going well. I'm what you call an ignorant owner of a 2010 Honda Fit base version. I have very limited knowledge, but I am willing to learn and take the advice of community here.

I have several issues with my car that I want to fix. Google searches and searches on this website has not directed me to the right area so I decided to make a thread.

Vehicle information: 2010 Honda Fit Base. 130k miles (heavy driver). Got a tune up around 80k. Got my oil changes when the oil meter said 15% (directions from the Honda service people)

These are the issues that I have:

- Driver side lock is bottoming out and will not turn. I have read several different options such as WD40, using graphite lube, keyless entry, or replacement of the cylinder. I would love to have the least expensive route, but suggestions would be helpful.

- I got a flat tire a couple of weeks ago and the car was wobbly. Thought it was before of the flat as I got it patched, but it would still go flat. Now that I have a new tire, the car still feels wobbly.

- Lastly, my door handle on the driver side just recently (2 days ago) feels loose. As in, it is too easy to open the door. I feel like a screw might be loose, but I'm really not too sure.

Again, I am an ignorant driver and do not know much about maintenance. But my ability to learn fast enables me to be confident in what I am doing if I have clear instructions. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2015, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Had driver lock replaced twice and my ignition. For the locks I just had the dealership do it, they just call in a locksmith to fix it, so might be cheaper to just go to a locksmith and get a quote. Take a look at your key, if the groves are rounded do yourself a favour and have a new key made before it buggers up all your locks and possibly ignition as it did mine

Old 08-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Macswfc
Had driver lock replaced twice and my ignition. For the locks I just had the dealership do it, they just call in a locksmith to fix it, so might be cheaper to just go to a locksmith and get a quote. Take a look at your key, if the groves are rounded do yourself a favour and have a new key made before it buggers up all your locks and possibly ignition as it did mine
So you think the key is the thing that is causing the issue? I might have some rounded parts on the key.

What were the prices that you paid for the lock and key being replaced?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
The key was definitely an issue, which I wish the dealer had mentioned the FIRST time I had the lock recoded. For example my passenger lock was getting very difficult to open after I had the drivers side done the second time, then the ignition went, this is when they recommended a new key...had it cut and presto passenger side door was smooth as butter to open.

I'm in Canada so pricing will be different, but driver side locks cost me $200 a pop, ignition was around the same, new key was $75 I believe

Old 08-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Macswfc
The key was definitely an issue, which I wish the dealer had mentioned the FIRST time I had the lock recoded. For example my passenger lock was getting very difficult to open after I had the drivers side done the second time, then the ignition went, this is when they recommended a new key...had it cut and presto passenger side door was smooth as butter to open.

I'm in Canada so pricing will be different, but driver side locks cost me $200 a pop, ignition was around the same, new key was $75 I believe
Hey, Thanks for the information. In the case that my issue is not the same as yours, I'm thinking of going to a locksmith to see if there are any issues. Then I will go ahead and get the key changed.

Also, you don't know any information about my other issues do you?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by johnchung89
Hey, Thanks for the information. In the case that my issue is not the same as yours, I'm thinking of going to a locksmith to see if there are any issues. Then I will go ahead and get the key changed.

Also, you don't know any information about my other issues do you?
No sorry . If the car feels wobbly id definitely get it looked though

Old 08-19-2015, 05:51 PM
Wobbly feeling may be balance from tires, different air pressures, or maybe lugs arent torqued to spec...
Tire shop