Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

A/C Bad compressor temp switch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 02:59 PM
A/C Bad compressor temp switch.

So I had my car in for repair. After 2 hours of diagnostics the mechanic found that the problem with the AC is the temperature switch in the compressor is shorted and will not complete the circuit and activate the clutch. I was quoted $1200.

For repair the mechanic wants to replaces the compressor and reliever drier as well as he is concerned the compressor will simply destroy another switch and because of the labor involved it makes more sense to just replace it now.

I am not willing to pay $1200 for AC. Do I have any other options? can the switch simply be bypassed so it no longer cycles and is always on? Is there another way to do it other than take out all the freon, take the whole compressor apart and/or replace everything?
​​​​

Old 06-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Do you mean the A/C compressor thermal protection switch? I don't believe that's a very difficult repair that should involve a ton of labor. See here:

A/C Compressor Thermal Protector Replacement

Old 06-09-2017, 06:00 PM
I called the mechanic back yes it is the thermal protector. He thinks there is a 50/50 chance the compressor is still good.

Looking at it I think it blew because it was low on freon for a while and a lot of the sensors on the Fit are prone to failure (third clutch transmission pressure).

Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like $50 to replace a bad thermal protector instead of $1200+ for a compressor that otherwise works is a no brainer.

Thermal protector can be bypassed to make sure the rest of the system is going to work ok before committing to replacing one or the other.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:35 PM
I just came from the dealer after experiencing similar issues. I have a 2012 M/T Sport. The dealer service guy said that my compressor needs to be replaced due to a faulty thermal protector. I asked if it could be replaced and he said it was integral to the compressor and that it can't.

He he also said that the condenser Ned's to be replaced because of a hairline crack.

$1800 total

anyone know of any model of Fit where the thermal protection iswitch is integral to the compressor?

im plan to consult other mechanics this weekend but thought I'd ask here

thanks.

Originally Posted by ezone
Seems like $50 to replace a bad thermal protector instead of $1200+ for a compressor that otherwise works is a no brainer.

Thermal protector can be bypassed to make sure the rest of the system is going to work ok before committing to replacing one or the other.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by luchobucho
I just came from the dealer after experiencing similar issues. I have a 2012 M/T Sport. The dealer service guy said that my compressor needs to be replaced due to a faulty thermal protector. I asked if it could be replaced and he said it was integral to the compressor and that it can't.

He he also said that the condenser Ned's to be replaced because of a hairline crack.

$1800 total

anyone know of any model of Fit where the thermal protection iswitch is integral to the compressor?

im plan to consult other mechanics this weekend but thought I'd ask here

thanks.
Unless the condenser is leaking refrigerant or clogged it does not have to be replaced and the thermal switch is easily replaced. Dealer is a crook and should be reported and negative yelped. There are a lot of sensors that can fail and need to be replaced, A lot of mechanics are trying to puff it up into a bigger issue.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by luchobucho
he said it was integral to the compressor and that it can't.
Thermal protector is available separately from the compressor.
Honda part# 38913-RP3-A02

But does it also need a compressor for some reason?

the condenser Ned's to be replaced because of a hairline crack.
Is it leaking freon?

Old 06-17-2017, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
If the clutch fails the dealer will try and replace the whole unit, instead o fthe cheaper compressor clutch that does not require a full ac drain and fill.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
If the clutch fails the dealer will try and replace the whole unit, instead o fthe cheaper compressor clutch that does not require a full ac drain and fill.
I work for a dealership.
I will replace the clutch/pulley and coil instead of the whole compressor whenever possible. Same for a thermal protector.
I prefer to keep an original compressor in use if at all possible.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 PM
It is a bad compressor

So I just came from the mechanic and the F'ing cmpressor is bad. He bypassed it and it ran but was making loud aberrant noises and the pressures were bouncing around H increased to 300psi and bouncing around and low increasing to 30 psi and bouncing arround.

He agreed to install a compressor for 2.5hr labor. Is any compressor on the market that I should avoid? I found a UAC one for $165. Is that OK?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you shop for the cheapest price, it may cost you the most.

Honda sells compressors I trust...though they are gonna cost a little more.

What brand is the original unit?
Find the label and see if you can get the same unit brand new (Sanden?)

Used original could be an option....
Check this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-HONDA-FIT-AC-COMPRESSOR

I took a compressor off of a Fit that had about 225k on it and saved it just in case the one in my GFs Fit shoots craps. It just needed a clutch but I'd certainly use it if I need it.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
If you shop for the cheapest price, it may cost you the most.

Honda sells compressors I trust...though they are gonna cost a little more.

What brand is the original unit?
Find the label and see if you can get the same unit brand new (Sanden?)

Used original could be an option....
Check this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-HONDA-FIT-AC-COMPRESSOR

I took a compressor off of a Fit that had about 225k on it and saved it just in case the one in my GFs Fit shoots craps. It just needed a clutch but I'd certainly use it if I need it.
Why would I go out of my way to replace the original part? As far as I am concerned, it for sure is a piece of garbage. I live in Chicago and used the A/C sparsely and it went and self destructed. I might as well hope an aftermarket is better quality than whatever POS Honda put on there OEM.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I have my car back the UAC 11132C compressor that I had installed is working well.

The old one was the OEM SANDEN. I saved the old one. It doesn't look like black death in fact the PAG oil inside looks brand new bright green. It just crapped out for whatever reason. I decided to save it for the clutch and coil which are still good.