Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DynoScan Palm by Auterra.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up DynoScan Palm by Auterra.

I wanted a way to run a dyno on the Fit whenever I wanted. So I gave the Auterra DynoScan Palm a shot. Here's their web site http://www.auterraweb.com/.

I finallly found a "level" piece of road and made 2 runs. I'll make some more later. Here's the results.

Run 1 stats and graphs. Pics taken off Palm (a little blury). They say easy to transfer to Excel. Not so far. Maybe I missed something but it doesn't seem to save all the info to the csv file the HP and TQ #s aren't there.

Peak Power: 110 HP, Peak Power RPM: 5900 RPM
Peak Torque: 101 lb/ft, Peak Torque RPM: 4900 RPM

I don't know why the TQ peaked at 4900 RPM's. Must have been a dip in the road but the HP #'s match with the 2nd run and the TQ is real close.

Peak Power: 110 HP, Peak Power RPM: 6100 RPM
Peak Torque: 99 lb/ft, Peak Torque RPM: 5800 RPM

Since this calculates the same way as a stationary dyno it's measuring it At The Wheels like a stationary one would. It was determined the drivetrain loss on a MT to be ~13% in the s/c thread.

Sonorliteman put it best while explaining how to read the s/c dynos.

Originally Posted by sonorliteman
One thing you all should note regarding gains on the dyno plot... they are quoting WHP gains, not stock engine rating vs whp. In other words, the 135 horsepower of the 5 lb kit is not just a meager 26 hp gain. It is a 40 whp gain, and a 42% increase in power.

I'll take that any day, thanks much!

For those still confused: Look at the baseline dyno numbers for the 10 lb kit....my eyes read 95 hp stock, and 158 hp s/c. Assuming the baseline applies to all Fits, and the 5 lb kit gets 135 whp, you get a 40 hp gain, AT THE WHEELS. Knowing that the Fit's engine is rated at 109, and it is dynoing 95, tells me that 1) we are dealing with a manual trans, and 2) the driveline loss is ~13%.

SO, the engine itself is likely making close to 180 hp with the 10 lb kit (edit: and is making 152 hp with the 5 lb kit).
Looking just at the HP numbers. I guess that means if:
109 HP - 13% drivetrain loss = 95 WHP
then
126.5 HP - 13% drivetrain loss = 110 WHP

Sounds about right to me with my OBX SS Cat Delete Headers and DIY CAI. A gain of 17.5 HP and a gain of 15 WHP.

Settings used:
Weight: 2718 lbs (scaled at dragway, includes myself)
Gear Ratio: 5.950 (3rd gear overall ratio)
Tire Diameter: 23.44 inches
Temp: 55 F
Elevation: 968
Humidity: 49%
Altimeter Pressure: 30.07 in Hg
Drag 0.35 cw
Frontal Area: 23.8 sq. feet

I used a portable temp hygrometer for temp & humidity.
Used the following web sites for Altimeter Pressure and Elevation.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KHSV.html
You'll have to change the KHSV in the link to your local or nearest large airport code.

You can also find it here. Better if you're at a different Elevation than the airport for the Altimeter Pressure.
http://www.city-data.com/
Find your City then click on the "Current weather forecast for (Your City)" link right at the top corner of the map. The info you want will be at the bottom of the page that opens.

The Elevation information seems better on weather.com though.

I'll make some more runs when I get a chance. Didn't want to play too long where I did the runs. I'll also make some more runs after my next mod.

Special note: Altimeter Pressure and Barometric Pressure are not the same.

Final thoughts:
The Auterra DynoScan Palm seems to work good.
Although it can be a pain to find the right "level" spot to make some runs.
If my calculations are off for some reason I'm sure I'll hear where I went wrong.
The PDA Export for Excel part leaves a lot to be desired.

If you decide to get one off eBay don't bother leaving feedback for "davektm" he wont leave you any.

That's it. For whatever it's worth.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
nice results! When entering your settings how did you calculate gear ratio?

EDIT: what aout drag and frontal area? are there some settings that are required and some (like the ones mentioned) calculated for you?

Last edited by leonine; 11-24-2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
nice results! When entering your settings how did you calculate gear ratio?

EDIT: what aout drag and frontal area? are there some settings that are required and some (like the ones mentioned) calculated for you?
Thanks

The gear ratio is calculated by the software. You put in the tire size and have it calculate the tire diameter. Then while going down the road in the gear you want calculated tap the calculate gear ratio on the screen for it to calculate the "overall gear ratio" for whatever gear you are in.

There is also a formula for calculating it using tire size, tire diameter, rpm's and speed you're traveling. It's also in the manual.

When running the Dyno second gear doesn't last long enough for it to get enough data so it wont give any results. 3rd gear is good since you end up at around 70mph at the end of the run which is when it you are about to hit the limiter at 6300 rpm's.

The drag coefficient. I searched the Internet and couldn't find it so I started a new thread in here asking if anyone knew what it was (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...ag+coefficient) and kps had it.
Originally Posted by kps
I have the number 0.35 but I don't know where it came from or which model it's for.
Frontal area is calculated by multiplying the vehicles width and height and multiplying that 85% since it has rounded corners. It's in the manual for the Dyno Scan and I also wrote Auterra and made sure my calculation was correct which they confirmed.

(5' x 5.5' = 27.5sq ft. x 85% = 23.375sq. ft frontal area) which I should have rounded up to get a "Frontal Area of 23.4 sq. feet" instead of the "Frontal Area: 23.8 sq. feet" which I used.

See I knew if I screwed up someone would point it out. I'm sure there was some reason why I came up with using 23.8 but it escapes me at the moment so 23.4 would be more accurate. At least until I remember why I changed it to 23.8.

Interesting note: My brother has a 2005 Scion xB and the drag coefficient is the same for it 0.35. My first thought was "No Way!!!". But after doing a lot of reading I found that a lot of the drag is created by the back of the vehicle being flat (hatchback). Go figure. The 2002 Honda Civic Hatchback's drag coefficient is 0.36.

I'm considering getting a GPS to get more accurate elevation info and I saw one that claimed to give Altimeter Pressure but I'll ask the manufacturer first (after the holidays) since I think it really just gives the Barometric Pressure which isn't the same. It would also come in handy for finding a "level" road by using the elevation point to point.

Haven't had time to try and get the exporting to Excel figured out yet.

Old 11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
how does the palm connect to your car? i may get this.. would you be able to send me the file or something?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
how does the palm connect to your car? i may get this.. would you be able to send me the file or something?
It connects to the OBDII port with a cable and adapter. The "adapter" is the product according to customer service. Without it the software will do you no good. Which is why you can download the latest versions of both the windows and palm software for free from their site for evaluation.

Downloads are here http://www.auterraweb.com/downloads.html the manuals are also there in pdf format so Adobe Acrobat Reader will open them.

I thought about getting the PC version but didn't want to be fooling with my laptop while driving. Kind of wish I had now since the export to Excel doesn't seem to work right. I have created an excel file from the data from 1 of the runs but it was a pain in the @@s doing it all by hand.

It has a lot of features. You can run as many as 5 gauges at one time (from the sensors). Check, clear and look up DTC's (clear the check engine light) with detailed info on them. Run acceleration tests that give 0-60 time, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile times and speeds.

It's a nice product and lots of fun to play with. It doesn't have 2007 in the setup files yet just up to 2006 but once they update the software that will be fixed I'm sure. It doesn't effect anything you're just putting in info at that point for your own info. Get a little creative and you can edit it on the PC.

It can read the VIN# from the ECU which is nice if you or someone you know is car shopping.

Like I said it's nice with the export to Excel and finding a flat "level" road being the only real challenges.

Check out their web site and you'll be hooked on it. Well designed web site too.

MAKE SURE: That you check the palm compatibility section if you plan on using the palm version. And you'll need a palm to SERIAL adapter to hook your palm to the adapter so make sure you can get one for yours!

Also, the FIT's OBDII port is CAN so older versions of the Palm Scan don't work on it. If you get one make sure it's the CAN compatible version. There are also some cars which it wont work on see their web site if you want to use it on any other particular vehicle for compatibility.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 11-24-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
can you tell us how much the serial connection was? I have a Palm IIIc sitting next to me gathering dust for a few years lol

Old 11-25-2006, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
can you tell us how much the serial connection was? I have a Palm IIIc sitting next to me gathering dust for a few years lol
Well Auterra sells your adapter for $20 here http://www.auterraweb.com/paiihoca.html but if you shop around you may find it cheaper. Try eBay and amazon. I think I paid between $10 and $15 for the one for mine which is a M130.

Yours is shown in the supported palms on their site here http://www.auterraweb.com/supportedpalms.html.

If it's been setting around that long you may want to get a new battery for it while you're at it and eBay would be a good place to look.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
very awesome, yeah it does not seem to want to turn on unless its on the charger.. and i dont see anywhere a battery would go. so iam thinkin ill have to tear it apart..

Old 11-25-2006, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
very awesome, yeah it does not seem to want to turn on unless its on the charger.. and i dont see anywhere a battery would go. so iam thinkin ill have to tear it apart..
It's not that hard to replace but yes you will have to take it apart. I bought a new higher capacity battery for mine off eBay and they included the torx head screwdriver to take it apart with. It wasn't very expensive either.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
When this thing is working is one of the sensors it monitors the knock sensor?? It would be nice the know if the knock sensor is pulling out timing on regular gas.
You mean the "Misfire Monitor"? Yes it's in the list on the palms software I hooked it up and took some pics but they turned out too blurry to bother posting. It does monitor it on the Fit.

I didn't see anything that says "Knock Sensor" though.

It does monitor "Timing Advance", so if you're asking if it changes timing while driving I think I had it monitoring it once when I first got it and it did keep changing. If I remember right.

For that matter the scanguageII monitors "IGN" which is Ignition Timing.

The palm Dyno scan is more along the lines of diagnostic software and the scanguageII gives you real time guages all the time.

Since the Dyno scan runs off the palms battery it's not like you would leave it hooked up and running all the time but the scanguageII runs off the cars electrical system.

Have you downloaded the evaluation software yet to see what all it has?
The Fit is CAN so most of the sensors that say CAN are available on the Fit. It even gives you the "Barometric Pressure".

It does way too much for me to list all it has.