Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Rattles- I'm winning!!! + DIY FIX

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Rattles- I'm winning!!! + DIY FIX

OK, I've been at work on some of those little F*%^@#r's.

Here's what I have.

Dash rattle: Mostly with poor road surfaces, or particularly any expansion joint like you find all over the city. Stops if I press on the dash near the left front corner of the passenger airbag panel. I can also reproduce it if I tap there- resonates across the whole dash. So, I pulled the glove box off, and had a look. Can't see squat, really, too small in there. But you can feel. Feels like the dash and the ductwork for the defroster are either well attached or molded as one piece. I wedged a golf club grip between the firewall and the front side of the ducts, and PRESTO. It's gone. Rubber is compliant/flexible, and dense, so it does great.

Now, the doors. I have found two distinct rattles in the drivers door. One if from a jerkwipe at a local carwash that slammed my door like some 1970's Chevy- and turns out he broke the mounting plate for the window lift. Honda's gonna warranty that one.

Second, the inside metal panel resonates and vibrates something in the latch mechanism. It isn't one of the actuator bars though- no change with holding them while rattling the thing. I think it's the actual latch. So, I bought some Damplifier from Second Skin, and it's REALLY helped decrease the door resonance. Speakers sound WAY better, too. I need to add a little more, and then replace the door panels. I also added some RattlePad to cushion between the panel and the metal. I think it's gonna be awesome.

Only other rattle was the MDF spare tire cover/floor vibrating on the plastic it sits on. I fixed that with some simple weatherstripping.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eyedryve

Dash rattle: Mostly with poor road surfaces, or particularly any expansion joint like you find all over the city. Stops if I press on the dash near the left front corner of the passenger airbag panel. I can also reproduce it if I tap there- resonates across the whole dash. So, I pulled the glove box off, and had a look. Can't see squat, really, too small in there. But you can feel. Feels like the dash and the ductwork for the defroster are either well attached or molded as one piece. I wedged a golf club grip between the firewall and the front side of the ducts, and PRESTO. It's gone. Rubber is compliant/flexible, and dense, so it does great....
I also have this rattle... same location and VERY annoying. Car is under warranty so the dealer is having a go at it this coming Monday. I'll keep your solution in mind in case the mechanic is clueless.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
I have the exact same rattle took the glove box out still cant figure out ecxately what you try to describe by "between the firewall and the front side of the ducts" could you provide more detail Thank you.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Yes.

If you hold a little flashlight up there, you will see the fresh/recirculate airbox- flip the recirc lever and you will see it move. Up and towards the front of the car from there, there is a lot of black plastic stuff. Reach up there and feel around. It's a stretch, BTW, but my arms are short...

As far up and forward as you can reach, you will feel what is a black plastic tube that is the ducts for the window defroster I believe- it's oval in cross-section, or at least feels like it. On the back side of that you will feel a small space about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide between that duct and something like a firewall, end of the passenger compartment, whatever... I tapped with one hand on the top of the dash while feeling back there, and felt the tapping perfectly well while holding the duct. I wedged the rubber gizmo (of your choice, but a golf club grip was just the ticket) up in front of the duct between it and the "firewall", and then tapped on the dash top- now near no feeling in the duct, and most importantly, no rattle on the roads.

I'd take pictures, but 1) it's already back together, and 2) I dont think I could take a descent picture of something I can't see. You gotta just feel up there...

Good luck.

BTW, still not a single rattle up there since I did this.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Some one should sticky this thread. I have the Drivers side firewall rattle now since it's cooled off with winter. Sounds like a plastic ball bouncing around in a small box. Kind of Disapointing. I thought GM's were the bad one's for this stuff. I didn't get my first rattle on the SF untill over 50,000Km's and that's with tight suspention and full motor/tranny mounts.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Warranty Fix

Originally Posted by crazyquay
I also have this rattle... same location and VERY annoying. Car is under warranty so the dealer is having a go at it this coming Monday. I'll keep your solution in mind in case the mechanic is clueless.

Update...

The Honda folks were prepared to rip out the dash if necessary to fix the rattle. I mentioned the 'fix' described in this thread and the mechanic was more than happy to try it out.

Piece of rubber wedged between the firewall and winshield duct did the trick. In my case, the fix was applied to both driver and passenger side.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Really glad to hear that. Maybe the big H will send me my next Honda for free?!?

Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm going to show the dealership this thread and maybe it will help.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Dash Rattle

Has anybody experienced a dash rattle on colder days? (below 40 degrees)
If, so how what was the dealer response?
Thanks!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I've had my Fit for 2 weeks and noticed dash rattle for the first time this morning (20 degrees). Because I had read here at fitfreaks that cold weather could be a contributing cause, I just blew the defroster on the highest heat setting and the rattle stopped within a short time.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
YESSS but they took my dash apart to replace a panel that had worn...
so I'm going to have it looked at to see it it's something loose.

My covers on the A-pillars are falling down to..very loose. Problem on anyone else's?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by kgustaf
I've had my Fit for 2 weeks and noticed dash rattle for the first time this morning (20 degrees). Because I had read here at fitfreaks that cold weather could be a contributing cause, I just blew the defroster on the highest heat setting and the rattle stopped within a short time.
I am a little disappointed by the rattle. I assume that I am not going to get any dealer support either. Let the games begin!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:42 PM
I've also noticed the rattle, but only after 6 months and 10k miles. I think it must have something to do with the cold. I will be going by the dealer next week. We shall see what the dealer says.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
ive got a rattle on my dash right above the center console, if i press down on the dash a lil to the right of where my gauge cluster is the rattle stops

it was really bad a month ago as it would not stop rattling on the freeway but after i took it to the dealer they sorta fixed it, now it rattles only 10% as much and as far as i can tell it's coming from a different area of the dash

dont want to bother the dealer again until the first oilchange which is soon to come

Old 12-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Yup I have the cold Rattle here!!! I will look into this!

Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
a little off but if the thngs going bump in your glove box annoy you, head to the nearest hobby shop and snag some sheets of felt with adhesive backing and line the inside of the glove box. also added a square to the cubby on the left as well as a piece in the coin tray as the change rattles in it.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Same rattles as the rest plus the shifter buzz's at higher RPM's

Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Get Digi cam Pics!!!! That will help the Fitfreak community out ALOT!!! Especially those in the northern part of US!

Old 12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i dont think mine rattles...will pay attention tonight

Quick Reply: Rattles- I'm winning!!! + DIY FIX