Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Help my serpentine belt and idler pulley fell 😞

Old 08-28-2018, 11:13 PM
Help my serpentine belt and idler pulley fell 😞

Tried to do it on my own and still no success after spending almost all day bought brand new idler pulley from auto zone but when putting it on seems it's scraping near my engine , also don't know what parts where on the idler pulley since pulley and all the other things fell off when driving , can any one show me a pic of idler pulley and materials that need to be put when installing the pulley I know it has a bolt but anything else .. thanks in advance

Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Hello Giovanny. How are you? Did you try to watch on Internet or Youtube the assembly of the belt and that pulley? It would be the first attempt.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Are you still in need of help? So, are you saying that you were driving down the street when the idler pulley fell off? I just replaced my belt and alternator and am getting a nasty noise that may be the idler pulley. I'll inspect it thoroughly tomorrow, and if it is the pulley I will replace it and advise you. But tell me in as much detail as you can what happened, if you would, please.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:30 PM
Hello Giovanny and der Mond. You both try to get an exploded view of this equipment. I believe that someone here in the forum can get and post so that you can solve the doubts and see if you are missing any washer or any other part.
Der Mond. Remove the idler pulley and see if the bearing is worn. Also try to hear where the noise comes from. Is it compatible with worn ball bearing noise? Was that noise already there before the service was done? Is the alternator you put in new or used? Good luck!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with the Duralast idler pulley is that the shape is different, so that when you install it with the protective flange that the bolt holds on, the flange binds. I had to take the darned thing off and install it without the flange and then it worked great. Great enough to let me realize that when I restarted the car the noise was back, and this time I saw that it was caused when the A/C compressor clutch engaged. So back to the forums for how to resolve that. The idler pulley has an outer and inner collar that are both available, as are the nut and flange, at Hondaautomotiveparts.com, Majestic Honda, where I get all my Honda parts.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Dear der Mond. Has the new pulley been perfectly aligned with the other devices it powers? Could you modify, cut or sand the flange in order to mount it in place? Regarding air conditioning compressor, do you know how to do it and do you have the tools to do the work? It may not be difficult, but sometimes you may lack some special tool or a suitable place to do the job. But I wish that you could solve the problem. Here in the forum I believe you can have photos or even videos of the disassembly and repair of the compressor. In Youtube I believe that there are also videos. I've never done air-conditioning compressor repair, but I do most of the repair work on my cars. Greetings.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings to Roland from Rio, from the great country that gave birth to one of my greatest heroes, the unequaled Ayrton Senna, who some of us believe will never be surpassed given that back then you really had to work to drive a car. He was a genius, particularly in the rain, a man of God and he was committed to fighting to make F1 safer, which then happened after his death, resulting in the injury and death toll in F1 being reduced to practically nothing in what was a blood sport previously. He brought great honor to his country and was one of the finest human beings who ever lived. The documentary "Senna' does him great justice. He achieved his greatest drives powered by Honda and personally drove and consulted for the first NSX.

The idler pulley is fine without the flange, the noise is clearly when the A/C clutch engages, and after putting a slightly thicker shim in it and tightening the belt more, when I restarted the car I could not get it to re-engage no matter what I did, so could not see if anything helped. But autumn is upon us in Alaska and I do not need A/C until next summer, for my wife who suffers from many ailments. I disconnected the connector to the field coil and I love it that when I start the car and select defrost, my cooling fans do not both go on and run incessantly. I assume this is to cool the condenser. Next summer I'll reconnect and if it shrieks again, will replace the clutch assembly. It requires only a set of snap ring pliers, Roland, no biggie. The shop manual says to replace it if it is noisy. You do have to jack the car up and remove the splash shield. Good luck, Roland, sometimes the forums are very helpful.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Dear der Mond. I did not quite understand what you did, but be sure to check that all the pulleys are perfectly aligned with the belt and that the entire assembly is running without forcing anything. I think if you've disconnected the electromagnetic clutch connector, only the air will not cool anymore. It would be equal to open coil, infinite electrical resistance. What are de-icing fans?. Were the fans for heating the interior of the car? Here is a tropical country. In our winter, when the temperature is around 15 degrees Celsius or 59 Fahrenheit, people feel dying of cold. You can laugh a lot of that ... In our summer temperatures go to 100 degrees Fahrenheit or more and we often take 3 or more showers during the day. I watch documentaries on National Geographic or Discovery channels and I'm impressed with Alaska's cold weather. We could not stand the cold of a place like this. Returning to the subject of your car problem, be careful that this repair you did will not cause any damage later. Follow the operation of the whole set carefully. Greetings.