Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Aftermarket muffler?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Aftermarket muffler?

I think I've decided on going with a N1 style universal muffler... I really like my Fit but i can't stand the little pipe/muffler sticking out of the back end.. I want the look but not the noise.

Has anyone just had their stock muffler cutoff and had a universal muffler welded on? is this possible? I know i won't gain much of anything, but most other systems out there will be too loud for my liking.

Anything i should look out for when doing this?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 PM
the problem is....MOST universal mufflers sound like loud peices if s**t!!! Quality parts gets quality exhaust sound, period. If you don't want loud ( as I am in the same boat as you), then consider an axle-back. A'pexi, and Megan Racing are reasonably inexpensive, and I'm sure there are others. I have the MR axle-back, and love it Not too loud so the wife still likes to drive it, yet has enough volume to know their is something back there. Has a nice, low, non-ricer note to it also....hope that helps

Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by gn-it&rn-it
the problem is....MOST universal mufflers sound like loud peices if s**t!!! Quality parts gets quality exhaust sound, period. If you don't want loud ( as I am in the same boat as you), then consider an axle-back. A'pexi, and Megan Racing are reasonably inexpensive, and I'm sure there are others. I have the MR axle-back, and love it Not too loud so the wife still likes to drive it, yet has enough volume to know their is something back there. Has a nice, low, non-ricer note to it also....hope that helps
I have yet to see a nice picture of the Megan Racing axleback on a Fit.. I didn't mind the look of the A-Spec one that they offer.

Do you have any pics of your exhaust on your Fit?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM
go with the apexi n1 axle-back thats what i got and i love it

Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by YeeFit
Do you have any pics of your exhaust on your Fit?

Not yet I don't. But your buying for your taste--not mine. I prefer non-grape-fruit shooter style exhaust Just to clarify, my MR exhaust was built very well, clean welds and all. I just preferred the two, smaller outlets compared to one.......still sounds great though!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by slowgd3
go with the apexi n1 axle-back thats what i got and i love it
where did you get your N1 from and how much did it cost

Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
got it from an apexi warehouse sale for $200
here are some pics:

Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by slowgd3
got it from an apexi warehouse sale for $200
here are some pics:

200 bucks? really? is that deal still out?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 AM
i dont think so. it was like a clearance thing. every went to the warehouse and waited in a line for an hour or two and bought things for cheap.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
One thing to keep in mind -- many N1 axle-backs come with or have available silencers you can use to cut the noise. Most won't be much louder than stock then, if at all, while still providing some gains.

If money's not an issue and you want real performance too, the J's Racing axle-back is almost the same as stock loudness in normal driving and you can immediately feel the increase in low-mid torque while the upper-end opens up very nicely. (and it's half the weight of the stock piece)

Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
here's my camera phone vid of the J's exhaust sounds windows up and down. I also have a T1R intake. the clanking sounds was my endlinks hitting the swaybar.

YouTube - Honda Fit w T1R intake and J's racing exhaust

Old 04-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Banned
I like the term "grapefruit shooter" used by another member to describe the fat single tube axle-back systems. I prefer the twin tube design of the Megan Racing axle-back, being sold for $165.00 on Ebay by raceoptions in So. Cal.

I already had a high flow SRI intake system, and by adding this muffler I could feel an increase in power and throttle response. I do not like LOUD exhaust, but the sound of my Megan system is really good. Deeper than stock, slightly louder too, but not annoying. It gives the car more of a personality, and I really like the look of the Megan system. At $165.00 on Ebay, it is a hell of a bargain. All stainless steel construction, extremely high quality and perfect fit- NO CUTTING OR WELDING REQUIRED!.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:21 PM
I think the megan is nice... but the a-spec is pretty cool too.. does anyone else have a better shot of this muffler on their car? more from the top or side? i've seen the straight back shot and it didn't really appeal to me.. I really like the look of the RSR 621 system, but its huge $$