Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

I hate Drive By Wire.. any idea to improve DBW?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down I hate Drive By Wire.. any idea to improve DBW?

sorry if it's been posted before.. I tried the search but doesn't return anything.

got 100 Miles on my new SSM Fit Today..
and so when I got back home, I jumped back to my 94 Civic SI.. oh boy what a difference..

I hate DBW.. I want wide open throttle when I want it and the FIT computer is too slow to know that I want it NOW!!..

*sigh*

now.. is anyone feel the same like I do?

yeah yeah.. Fit is not designed for racing..bla2.. but I somehow feel that this DBW "disconnect" the car and the driver.

Hopefully I'll learn to adapt to this DBW..

Old 06-27-2007, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
ve had plenty of problems with drive by wire, nothing is updated to improve it or add anything to it, or work with it

Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I once had to replace a broken throttle wire with a guitar string on a road trip (we refer to those days as the dark age). At least that won't ever happen with the Fit See, always look at the bright side!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 AM
I never noticed a problem with responsiveness, but i have noticed a tendancy to hold on to revs between shifts.. anyone know how to get rid of this? I find it kind of annoying.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
i would imagine the only way to fix dbw is a software change so your kinda stuck with it

Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
That's intentional... it does that to reduce emissions. The throttle stays open for a fraction of a second to make sure all fuel gets burned. If the throttle slammed shut instantly, there would be a little bit of fuel pumped out the tailpipe.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The only thing I dont like about it is the response, guessing thats everyones problem.

If you rev the Fit and then get right back on it as the RPMs are falling my car chokes. If actually got it to stop revving completely for about a second or 2. You could smell the fuel also.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
so that's it?...
no smooth driving for the Fit?

The throttle seemed to over-rev a little when I let go the gas pedal and shift the gear..

Spoon Japan race this car, I'm sure they feel this too.. I can't believe there's no cure.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Spoon doesn't have drive by wire only you guys in the USA are stuck with it. If you want to drive smoothly learn to let go of the throttle a little before you would with a normal car.
Really?
so that's it? *sigh*..

let go of the throttle a little before shifting? umm.. I'll try that..
but that means I can't really play that close to the rev-limiter..
hmmpff...

Old 06-29-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I never noticed a problem with responsiveness, but i have noticed a tendancy to hold on to revs between shifts.. anyone know how to get rid of this? I find it kind of annoying.
i agree,my wife said i forgot how to drive stick

Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by piyoimut
Really?
so that's it? *sigh*..

let go of the throttle a little before shifting? umm.. I'll try that..
but that means I can't really play that close to the rev-limiter..
hmmpff...

Not true. It has nothing to do with where you shift, but instead your timing when you shift. You're just going to have to drive the car more to get used to it. It took about a month or two before it became really second nature for me, but it'll come.

Also, there is nothing in the DBW itself that should be preventing you from driving the car hard and well. I had no problems w/ it when I autocrossed the car -- response was precise and the car responded to throttle inputs accurately and immediately. Running to redline was never an issue. Trust me, you'll get used to it in time.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Timing? can you ellaborate?
say you're really2 close to the rev limiter, what do you do 1st? let go the throttle, then hit the clutch? or do at the same time?

I usually let go the throttle, hit the clutch, quick-shift and re-press the throttle...
the problem with DBW is that when I let go the throttle, it act as if I'm still pressing it on while I already let it go, revving the engine a little while I do the shift. The extra rev makes it as if I can't drive manual

No problem with daily driving.. but the extra rev is just annoying..

I'm sure I'll adapt to the FIT in time like you said...

Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
say you're really2 close to the rev limiter, what do you do 1st? let go the throttle, then hit the clutch? or do at the same time?

I usually let go the throttle, hit the clutch, quick-shift and re-press the throttle...
the problem with DBW is that when I let go the throttle, it act as if I'm still pressing it on while I already let it go, revving the engine a little while I do the shift. The extra rev makes it as if I can't drive manual

Yeah, I know what you're doing and I used to do it often too. What you need to do is to time letting go of the throttle maybe just a split second earlier than you're doing now before pressing in the clutch. It sounds a bit odd or stupid when you explain it in words, but that's essentially it. In other words, what you're doing now is still staying on the gas a little longer than you should and the engine revs a bit once the clutch is depressed. And to be honest, explaining it in words isn't very accurate as it's more a "touchy-feely" thing than anything else. All I know is it went away on its own after driving the car for a while and getting used to the clutch-gas timing. I'm sure it'll do the same for you.

BTW, I'm in Western PA too (New Castle). You should come out to the autocross practice at BeaveRun this coming Wed. on the 4th of July. They're running from 10a-4p, it's only $35 to run the whole session, and you will get LOTS of timed runs in in a very casual, fun atmosphere. It's probably 40 mins away from you at most, probably less. I'm planning on going myself barring rain or super-hot weather, would be cool to see another Fit owner there. http://www.beaverun.com/thrills_autocross.htm

Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
BTW, I'm in Western PA too (New Castle). You should come out to the autocross practice at BeaveRun this coming Wed. on the 4th of July.
I used to Auto-X every week at North Hills and BeaveRun with my ITR.
But all the regular crowds that I know are already moved out of the area.. I'm sure Mike from SpeedNation still around though..
I kinda stopped racing after I let my ITR go..

and I personally like Track-days than the Auto-X somehow..
(and BeaveRun track is a blast! )

does your Fit win any trophies at Auto-X yet?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
and I personally like Track-days than the Auto-X somehow..
(and BeaveRun track is a blast! )

does your Fit win any trophies at Auto-X yet?
I can see how that would be fun. Unfortunately, I'm usually working when they've got a track day set up, so haven't tried it myself yet.

No trophies yet either I've only been able to make the casual autox they run and I'm like the only Fit in a field of STI's, RSX's, Mustang's, etc., plus there's no competition per se -- you just run the course, get a time and get back in line. Hopefully, I'll try an SCCA event before the summer's up, but with only the stock tires for now, I'm not expecting much. Still, you oughtta come out anyway just to toss the Fit around a bit and see how it feels. You'll probably like it, it's a fun little car overall.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM

I noticed the same thing the first time I opened up my new Fit. At first I thought maybe the clutch was slipping or something... I just started letting off the gas a little sooner before shifting and it's just fine now. Love this car... haha

~Peace

Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
as of now i do not think there is any way to flash, chip,etc. the ecu to change the response. BUt you can do whay most tsx/k24 guys do is guys pull out the tb, cables and all and replace it with a normal tb. and it should not affect anything related to the fuel system.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
The only thing I dont like about it is the response, guessing thats everyones problem.

If you rev the Fit and then get right back on it as the RPMs are falling my car chokes. If actually got it to stop revving completely for about a second or 2. You could smell the fuel also.
I've noticed this as well and have never read any other complaints about it. When I go to work, one of the last corners I take is a 50 mph exit ramp. I'll take the corner in third gear at a pretty high rpm and when I get back on the throttle coming out of this corner My car hesitates. Seems like a glitch in the system.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
get a powerbox......mine never "chokes" and ive never had a problem w/ rev hang or whatever. Maybe cuz mine is AT? =]

Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm interested with regular TB conversion..
I'll do my research and ask my shop to do it... but this will void warranty
gotta wait a little.. only 300 miles on my Fit now

Quick Reply: I hate Drive By Wire.. any idea to improve DBW?